Paris Weekend with niece

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Weekend with niece

Hello,

Im taking a weekend in Paris in end of July, and my niece 14y.o. talked me into coming along. Well, she is the one of us who acctually speaks decent French!

Except for a 4 hour meeting on saturday afternoon, where does one take a 14 year old in paris? (Saturday morning, Sunday and halfday Monday)Any suggestions?

I have been put up in Accor Suitehotel Porte de Montreuil in 20:e. Anybody have any experience from this place? Is it inconvenient for downtown access?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM

Take her to the Eiffel Tower; take her to the Musee D'Orsay to see the Impressionists; take her on an evening cruise on the Seine; Ste. Chapelle; a quick trip to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa and the Winged Victory; a nice bistro for a real French dinner; and a wonderful bakery for pastries. This will give her a small taste and she'll take you in a few years!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM

Porte de Montreuil is one of those 'not central' locations, but if you are near a metro station, then you can cross Paris within 30-40 minutes. Most of the time, your rides should require 10-15 minutes.

Here's the transportation website's 'Route Finder':
http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi milli,

Lucky niece.

Your hotel is on 22 Avenue du professeur lemierre. The closest metro stop to your hotel is Porte de Montreuil (route 9), about 5 blks from the hotel.

On Sunday, I suggest a very light breakfast, a walk through the Parc Monceau, brunch at the Musee Jacquemart-Andre, a visit to the museum and then a walk to the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs Elysee to Place Concord.

See http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.co...re/home_en.htm

If you are in the mood, walk up to the Rue Faubourg St Honore' and window shop at the boutiques of the top designers, or walk through the Tuileries to the Louvre.

You can get back to your hotel by taking the no. 1 line at Pl Concorde or Louvre to Nation and transfer to the no 9, direction Montreuil.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Dear ALL,

I thank you for input, and the very helpful tip of Musee Jacquemart-Andre. this is right up her alley, and halfway mine as well!

Dont be shy, I keep watching the thread until July!

Enjoy
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 02:44 AM

On Sunday go to the Marais. The stores are open and the Place des Vosges is a great spot with music and people and galleries and shops and restaurants. Just a few streets over in the Bastille area is the Blvd. Richard Lenoir street market, a great experience. This is also on Sunday. Does your niece like to shop? Try Samaraitaine for the rooftop view or head over to Galeries Lafayette and Printemps (near Jacquemart Andre). The Opera is also over in that area. It's just an impressive building. Have fun.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Agree with "mamc"- we took our 13 year old granddaughter last Octber and visited many of those site and she enjoyed them all! For a long weeekend these are must sees! One other thing that she thoroughly enjoyed was SHOPPING!