Reload this Page >

Paris to Versailles

Search

Paris to Versailles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Ruth

Paris to Versailles

I am visiting Paris for a week in March. Is it possible to get to Versailles without renting a car or taking an expensive tour bus? I will purchase a Paris Visite Metro Pass. Can I use that to get to Versailles? If so, what transportation is available from the metro station to the Chateau.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Ti

I'm almost 100% sure that your Paris Visite card will take you there. You'll be taking the RER line to get there, not the standard metro. the RER is like a faster, longer distance version of the metro.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 01:01 PM
elaine

I believe that currently there is a disruption to the normally simple RER ride between Paris and Versailles--one of the usual stations is closed I think.<BR>Check the ratp.fr website for current info

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Ti

Jeudi 27 d&eacute;cembre :<BR>Trafic normal sur l'ensemble des lignes.<BR><BR>This is according to RATP's website for the RER services.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Alice

You should be able to ride the bus to get there, b/c I rode it from the avenue in front of the palace back to Paris...but I don't remember the bus number... You can get a map of the routes from the Metro office, though.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Patty

Do a search on this forum for "Paris Day Trip". There's a lot of info in it on Versailles. Also search "Versailles" and you'll come up with all sorts of helpful information. Good luck.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Christina

Your Paris Visite pass will only take you there if you buy one for the right zones. All transportation passes in Paris can be bought for a specific number of zones, you buy what you need for your plans. Versailles is in zone 4 so you have to buy the 1-5 zone Paris Visite to cover that. If that's the only trip you plan outside central Paris, I would not buy a 5 zone Paris Visite, I'd just buy a ticket for that day's trip to/from Versailles, it will be cheaper (especially if you are buying a pass for more than 1 day). RER is the suburban light-rail network.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 02:50 PM
GGinSF

I went this month and there was no disruption transfering from the metro to the RER at Garre du Nord. Christina hit it on the head about the zones. Most people never leave 1&2 unless it's to go to the airport or to Versailles. A seperate ticket for the RER to zone 4 is usually less expensive than getting the full 1-5 zone pass for many days.<BR><BR>When you leave the RER train station in Versailles, turn right and walk 1/2 a block. Make the first left and the palace is right ahead (about a 10 minute walk from the station).

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Fred

Very simple. Take the RER Line C - Direction Versailles Rive Gauche. This will let you off close to the Chateau. Trains also run to Versailles from Gare St. Lazare (Metro St. Lazare) every 15 minutes. It's about a 30 minute ride and costs $5 round trip. It lets you off in town - you have a longer walk but get to see the town. Try to avoid Sundays - tremendous crowds, unless you want to see the fountains. Then it has to be Sunday. Closed Monday. Admission about $9. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 11:19 AM
lala

contact the USO in Paris, they can hook you up with tickets (the lines are long when purchasing there) and the bus ride there.