Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris to Normandy - Can it be done in one Day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 03:11 PM
Maggie

We are visiting Paris the first week in October and really want to go to Normandy. Can anyone suggest a one-day bus/train that we can book? Thanks for any insight on whether or not it is doable for one day, albeit a long one day.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 03:44 PM
Christina

You should say where you want to go in the region, as Normandy borders on the Ile de France (ssmall region where Paris is) and there are places in Normandy within an hour of Paris (ie, Giverny). Rouen is also only about an hour or 1-1/2 hrs from Paris by train, as I recall, and it's in Normandy.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 05:51 PM
elvira

Maggie: <BR>If you are referring to the DDay beaches, then ParisVision runs bus turnarounds through October. They also do Mont St Michel; Giverny; Versailles; and a combo Giverny-Versailles. <BR> <BR>You can also take an early train to either Caen or Bayeux, and get a tour there for the DDay beaches and museums.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Jeff

If the D-day beaches are what you are after, the Parisvision suggestion is a good one. Or you can take the train to Caen, then the bus or taxi to the museum. The museum has small van tours. I arranged for my parents to go this route two winters ago b/c bus tours from Paris were not running. My parents were able to do it in a day, but it was a long day.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Donna

It's a lot for one day (and a long one) but doable. If you only want to spend one day there, go for it. You can get schedules and prices for Cityrama, Touringscope, and Paris Vision tours at their websites. But, buy your tickets after you arrive in Paris (to avoid the markup).