Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris to Murren via Baden Baden - another stopover needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
This is just a little part of the big plan, I'm driving DH crazy. He just wants to get there and drive!
I've tentatively booked 3 nights in Paris when we arrive, to get our bearings, then we'll pick up the lease car at CDG and head for Murren/Launterbrunnen.
I'm planning to go there via Baden Baden because I've read so many glowing reports about the town but I figured we could have two nights between Paris and Murren to shorten the driving time each day, so if you have any better ideas, we're open to suggestions?
I'm trying to keep the 'daily' driving under five hours between our planned stops.Does that sound ok?
Regards, JT
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM

Considering the drive from Paris to Baden Baden takes around 6.5hrs, you could break that into a shorter drive on day 1, with a little sightseeing thrown in. There are a multitude of places to see along the way, completely depends on what you like/are interested in.

Suggestions:
1. Drive Paris to Verdun with a stop in Reims. Then on to BB.
2. Drive Paris to Strasbourg with time to explore. Next day on to BB with time to sightseeing the next morning before continuing on to Lauterbrunnen.
3. Drive Paris to Troyes via Chateau Fontainbleau (1hr south of Paris) then follow A5, A31 and then east on A33 past Nancy and Strasbourg to BB the next day.
4. Drive Paris to Nancy via Reims (north) or Fontainbleau (south). Next day continue to BB.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:30 AM

First, for us anyway, a 6.5 hr drive = 8 hrs with bathroom stops or a lunch break. I definitely would break it up; get off the autoroute and see some of France and/or Germany

Depends on what your interests are along the way.

There are some great suggestions above from madamth. I would stop at Nancy (beautiful square & architecture), Metz (Cathedral and old town) or Strasbourg (Cathedral/old town), see some sights, relax, have a nice meal and spend the night.

If you are truly interested in Baden-Baden, why not spend a night there? You can't really enjoy the flavor of the place if you breeze in and breeze out, its a resort town after all.

We just got back yesterday from a week-end in Baden-Baden and enjoyed it very much. While I went and walked the lovely gardens and shopped in the upscale shops (most too expensive for this poor soul), my husband spent almost 3 hours at the Friedrichsbad spa getting steamed, soaped and scrubbed; he came out a new man. (I was jealous-his skin was glowing and soooo soft) If you are not comfortable going au naturel, then bring your swim suit & walk a little further to the Caracalla baths.

We stayed at the Merkurhotel, which was just lovely and centrally located and has some parking available (9euros/night). Other hotels we had looked at on-line looked very nice in person as well, though I myself wouldn't choose to stay at the Best Western (Queen Something-or-other) nor the Holiday Inn, only because they are not centrally located.

If you are young, Baden-Baden might be a tad sedentary, especially during the day, but for walking its beautiful gardens and pedestrian streets, taking in all the platz, people watching, shopping and relaxing, it is great. We definitely came back feeling pampered and rested.

We had a great traditional German meal at the Lôwenbrau and superb Indian at Namaskaar. We will go back, if only for this restaurant! The 30 euro menu was an exceptional variety of spices and textures. Exquisite sauces. The fish with curry pineapple is to die for!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Madamtrashheap, Thanks again for the specifics. I will be back to my maps in the morning checking out your suggestions,and klondiketoo, Thankyou too for the extra info about those places mentioned. DH and I are travelling with our two youngest daughters 9 & 12. They are used to seeing the sites and finding their own fun rather than constant entertainment (fortunately) so Baden Baden sounds lovely. Since it's not as far from there to Launterbrunnen as I first thought I think we'll make it the second night on the way and stop at one of the other suggeted places first. Your weekend at BB sounded great but I'm still laughing trying to imagine my husbands face if he was expected to go au naturel in a spa!! Have a great night and thanks again. JT
PS was the traditional german meal expensive?
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Re: affordability of German food. You can look at the menu (fine print in English) The tomato cream soup was the best my husband has ever eaten he stated and I had that as my meal with a side of salad. My husband had the meatloaf and we could have easily shared it as a meal. Portions were large. You might just want to order some brot or bretzels or a pair of sausages for them though they do have a children's menu for around 4,70. Check out:
loewenbraeu-baden-baden.de

If you don't have a lot of time in Baden-Baden, they do have a little tourist train that takes almost an hour and it has a family rate and takes you partially up Merkur Mountain and through the city (German language only). Or maybe it would be fun to take a horse carriage ride through the Allée at a more leisurely pace.

If you are interested in getting an idea of the atmosphere, here are some photos:
http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

Happy Travels!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM

oops! I should have included the whole address.

http://www.loewenbraeu-baden-baden.de/
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

klondiketoo,
almost wasn't going to reply, just to avoid bringing my little (and well answered post back to the top, but I checked out your sites and I had to add that you're photos are delightful (although we'll be there at the end of October so i doubt the flowers will looks so lovely) and the menu, yum, can't wait, thanks for the tips, cheers JT