Reload this Page >

Paris to D-Day Beaches

Search

Paris to D-Day Beaches

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 09:10 PM
Donna

Paris to D-Day Beaches

<BR>Has anyone rented a car in Paris to go to the D-Day beaches? I would welcome any hints. Should we travel to Caen and then rent a car?

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 07:10 AM
John

Donna, I always rent a car in Paris and I was there, once, on a business trip which ended up being 3 weeks. One Saturday, I decided to go to Normandy for the day. This was pre-internet days so I really had no idea what I would find. I bought a map and off I went. I stopped at Rouen which I don't have much of a memory of. I went to Deauville and Honfleur which I did like and want to return to. I bypassed Caen and Bayeux and went through the hedge row country and Pont-du-Hoc which I thought was aawesome. I then drove to the other landing beaches along the coast. I went to the American cementary which is very sobering and on to Arrowmanches which has a relatively large musuem for the D-Day invasion. Many British and German tourists also visit this area. I saw many beautiful, charming hotels and restaurants and regretted not spending the night. However, I did not plan or was prepared to stay overnight. <BR> <BR>I suppose you could do either ... rent in Paris or take a car depending on your preferences. I enjoyed the drive and seeing the countryside and being a able to stop wherever or whenever I want. I often go off the beaten path just to see what is around the corner. However, if your time is limited and you just want to get from point A to point B, then the train may be best.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Dawn

This October my husband and I drove over from London, so we had a car. Had a great time. Paris can be expensive to rent a car. Try looking at another city, maybe right outside of Paris, you'd be surprised at the difference in price. It's a wonderful area Normandy. If you have time, go to Mont. St. Michel, but not on a weekend, and get there early. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Stacey

Message: I'll be in Paris in July. We (me, my husband, and three other adults) are interested in visiting the D-Day beaches and Mont St. Michel. Can this be done in one day? Should we rent a car for the day? The tours we've seen advertised seemed expensive to us--$180 per person. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!!

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:58 PM
John

Stacey, a tour would cost you $900 for just one day? It is muh cheaper to rent a car and do it yourselves. It isn't that difficult. As for doing it one day, it depends how many stops and where you are planning. I stopped at Rouen, Deauville, Honfleur, Pont-du-hoc, the American cementary and Arromanches. I did not stop at Caen or Bayeux or go to Mont St Michel. That would have required another day which I would recommend. It is a lovely area.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 08:19 PM
nickie

Stacey,did you check on the four hour tour to the D-day beaches from the Victory Memorial museum in Caen?

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 04:28 AM
Monica

Stacy, just to add my comments, my husband and I have rented a car for 2 days in Bayeux for our trip coming up in 2 weeks (returning the car in Caen). We plan to drive one day to Mont St Michel; then the D-Day beaches the next day. We are renting a car from Hertz and got a rate of $85.00 for both days. Now, we did get a discount because he's an airline pilot. This $85.00 includes unlimited mileage, all taxes, theft protection, and insurance. I checked the train schedules for Mont St. Michel. Basically there is one train per day and the schedule for the weekend is terrible. Do try to rent a car. As John mentioned, it would be great to drive and see the countryside.