Paris Tips wanted...

Search

Paris Tips wanted...

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Tips wanted...

I'll be visiting Paris starting May 28th through June 6th. I would like to know how to get to the Chateau of Chambord in the Loire Valley. Is it far from Paris and is it worth Visiting?

Also, I'd like to visit the Baccarratt Musee. Where is it located and how can I get there from Paris?

Will any of you Fodorites be in Paris during the same time as our visit? Perhaps we can hook-up for a Kir? or exchange ideas for an itinerary?

Thanks!

Old May 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM

The Baccarat crystal museum is IN Paris. The Chateau de Chambord would be about a half-day trip by train from Paris. As to whether it's worth visiting, it depends on what interests you. The château is huge but mostly empty of furnishings--we found Langeais and Amboise much more interesting.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:21 PM
ira

Hi fris,

Chambord is well worth a visit.

See
http://www.lvo.com/GB/MAG/CHATEAUX/CHAM.HTML
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Hey Frisky,
My girlfriend and I will be there from the 3rd through the 9th.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM

I'm going to reinforce Underhill on this one. If I could only see one Loire chateau, it would not be Chambord. I'm sure we all have our favorites and mine are probably too far for a day trip from Paris.

That said, Chambord is huge and impressive and the equestrian show is lots of fun. The chateau itself is more impressive from the outside. There is little or no furniture inside so that is a bit of a letdown. The double spiral staircase is interesting and there is a see-through model in the chateau.

Chambord is a social experience. There are horses riding around, people in period costume, people picnicking on the grounds and lots of families there for the day. I'm glad I went once but I'll probably never return. If you haven't been there, go and enjoy. Don't miss the equestrian show!!

The Baccarat Museum is at 11 place des Etats Unis, 75 116 in Paris. The closest
Metro stations are Iéna or Boissière; Opening time: 10 a.m to 7 p.m Monday to saturday; (closing days: Tuesdays and Sundays); 7 € per person and the phone is 00 33 1 40 22 11 00.

You can Google the web site.

Old May 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Frisky;

We are going at the same time, could we be on the same plane? we fly from Paris to Venice on 3 June!

Clea
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:37 AM
ira

topping
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:55 AM

Hi,

I have been to Chambord and if I had to choose one castle... I would choose Chenonceau. Amboise, Blois, Villandry and Azay-le-rideau are also one I would choose before it. That being said...I will admit that it is impressive to see when you come up to it...large, lots of chimneys...but it seemed a bit 'cold' and empty to me.
Hope this helps,
Mike
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:20 AM

Here's a tip. When walking, always watch your step or you may find yourself scraping the bottoms of your shoes with a stick.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your Tips! I've heard of Chateau Amboise. From what I understand, that's were Leonardo de Vinci once lived. I'd like to see that Chateau as well. My sister and I are really into Antique furnishings and architecture. If you had one to choose, which one would it be? any suggestions for places not to miss in Paris?

Hey Thomthumb, Were are you staying while you're in Paris? We're staying in the Opera district. What's your itinerary like.

Frisky
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Leonardo didn't actually live in the château--he had a small house in the grounds. But the château is definitely worth a visit for its own sake.

Sinc eyou like antique furniture, I'd recommend both Chenonceau and Langeais.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Underhil,

where are Chenonceau and Langeais located? Are they in Paris or on the outskirts?

Frisky
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:07 PM

I guess Underhill didn't see your question. No, Chenonceaux and Langeais are not in or particularly near Paris. Langeais is west of Tours on the N152 or E60. Chenonceaux is east of Tours on the D40 (near the N76-E604).

You would enjoy the furnishings in either and the gardens are particularly nice at Chenonceaux. Langeais is a very castle looking chateau with a drawbridge and towers, very impressive looking. Chenonceaux is more graceful and set across the river Cher. The setting is stunning. Langeais is in a small town. BTW, there is an interesting church just up the street from the chateau in Langeais.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Having been to all these places,and loving Chambord for its amazing architecture,I think the best one for you is Chenonceau, it's beautiful.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:42 AM

If you can rise very early, you can take this small-van tour which will cover the above-recommended sights:

http://www.parisvision.com/fr/index....;ki=gb2tx0jvhn
177.0 Eur

"...The day starts with a visit of the Château d'Amboise, symbol of a new style of architecture: the French Renaissance. Leonardo da Vinci gave life to the castle. You will see all his inventions when you visit the Clos Lucé, his residence. At the end of the morning, you leave for Chenonceau where lunch (included) is served in the castle's Orangerie. At the beginning of the afternoon, there is a visit of the Château de Chenonceau, called the 'Château aux Dames' built on the Cher.
The last stop is Montrichard for a visit of Monmousseau cellars, an important wine producer in the region, where you will taste 3 vintages..."