Reload this Page >

Paris -- The Shoe Dilemma!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 02:29 PM
hcw

After having read numerous postings here about how NOT to look like an American tourist in Paris (or any other cosmopolitan European city), I have a question: First, obviously, those chic Parisian women aren't spending the day walking miles siteseeing in their city; they're dressing for work or dinner or lunch or whatever, as I do when I'm home. SO: short of tennis or walking shoes, does anyone have a recommendation on some really comfortable but reasonably dressy women's shoes that will survive a 10-hour hike around the city? Merci!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 02:37 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>You'll find a lot of info about specific shoe brands on this forum. I take flat, suede Aerosoles, they're slip-on with cross-cross straps, a tan and a black pair and dressy enough for evenings too. Sometimes I also bring a pair of flat, black Easy Spirits. And I do bring along a pair of sneakers too!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Robin

<BR>Agreed that this is a bit of a dilemma. I'm bowing to comfort, rather than fashion. I suspect that Parisienne woman may be like those here in the states - it doesn't matter if you feel good, you must look good. They probably wear shoes that if used for touring the city all day, will hurt like hell!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 04:12 PM
Martha

French women are currently rebelling against the dictates of the fashion houses, which in recent years have been ordering everyone into spike heels. In the part of France where I live, many women wear black, leather tie shoes, with slacks or skirts. Last summer, there was a fad for Keds-type white sneakers, worn with tailored, cotton skirts and a shell top. These outfits might not go over too well in the ultra-fashionable 8th arrondissement, but they are all right in the rest of the Hexagon. As a general rule, if you wear tailored, conservative clothes with walking shoes, and avoid active sportswear like sweat suits or jogging shoes, you'll be both physically and socially comfortable.

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 06:18 PM
Louis

Believe me, women wear everything in paris. So take what is comfortable. Although, I think you can do better than white tennis shoes. There are only a few places in Paris that would throw you out even if you had them on. Paris fashion is a business. Most women in Paris cannot afford it. Just like most French families cannot afford to drink French wines. What they drink comes from Algeria or elsewhere else. It has a screw top and cost less than $1.00 a bottle. What women in Paris wear is as dumb looking as in the major cities in the US. You will see almost anything. No matter what you wear, nobody will think you are a anything but a tourist. If nothing else, you will give yourself away by the way you walk, your hairdo, the person with you or your smell. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 02:08 AM
bo_jack

Three years ago, when we visited Paris in November, my wife frequently wore calf-high, flat-heeled, black leather boots -- sort of like riding boots -- purchased, I think, from the LLBean catalog. This footwear was servicable for her and attracted lots of favorable attention from other women whose feet were obviously housed in much less comfortable footwear.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 05:10 AM
elaine

I am of the be comfortable-but-not-tacky school of thought, but when I visit Paris I know I am an American traveler/tourist and I don't have hopes of passing for a Parisienne. However,during the day,with my slacks and skirts I wear flats, loafers, or low-heeled shoes that I have already broken in, usually all-purpose black or beige. They may be old shoes that are already half-way to the trash, but only I know that. They have to be comfortable and not-bad looking. If I wear them out, or get them soaked in the rain, I don't care. I bring a nicer pair for evenings. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 05:11 AM
elaine

I am of the be comfortable-but-not-tacky school of thought, but when I visit Paris I know I am an American traveler/tourist and I don't have hopes of passing for a Parisienne. However,during the day,with my slacks and skirts I wear flats, loafers, or low-heeled shoes that I have already broken in, usually all-purpose black or beige. They may be old shoes that are already half-way to the trash, but only I know that. They have to be comfortable and not-bad looking. If I wear them out, or get them soaked in the rain, I don't care. I bring a nicer pair for evenings. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 07:10 PM
Connie

I travelled all of Europe with my 18 year old daughter in January 97 including Paris. We walked everywhere for 6 straight days. We each had one pair of shoes. Mine were a pair of Bally laced up ankle boots which looked great with everything and I had no regrets. My daughter went for Doc Martens of a similar style and also looked great and walked comfortably! I wore tailored pants and no one could see much of the shoes anyway!

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 09:17 PM
Donna

When out and about during the day, the most comfortable shoes possible are absolutely essential. Fortunately, it's becoming easier to find comfortable shoes that also look fairly "fashionable". If you don't want to look like a tourist, just avoid athletic shoes in a light color. For going out in the evening, dressier shoes (but still the most comfortable you can find) are better.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 12:23 AM
Vincent

You know what ? After years of making fun of American women who wear running shoes with a formal outfit, Parisian girls have decided that it was fashionable for them too ! But, of course, not any running shoe : only New Balance or Asics, the suede models, preferably in grey or blue. White is definitely not an option ! Ah, fashion, fashion..

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 02:59 AM
didem

My husband and I just got back from Paris 2 days ago, and our feet are still in pain! We wore tennis shoes, as do many Parisiens, but it was still very hard on our feet since we were walking around at least 10 hours a day. I would recommend that you look into getting the most comfortable walking shoes you can find, and don't even bother trying to not look like a tourist, because you will regardless of your shoes. If tennis shoes are comfortable for you, definitely take them!! I had thought about trying to look more Parisien with my outfits and shoes too, but it quickly became an insignificant point for me after the first day of walking. Good luck!

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 05:20 PM
sheila

Mephistos for daytime walking. They'll take you anywhere. Your feet will sing! Tra, la, la! Aerosoles are nice as are Arche -- and a bit daintier -- but they don't give as much support. They'd do for a night-time switch-off pair, though.

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 01:22 AM
Harriet

Frankly, I don't think ANY of the best walking shoes are great looking, but I'm a Rockport fan myself - several different styles and a couple that don't look particularly like "walking" shoes, reasonably priced, extremely comfortable. <BR> <BR>If you don't wear something comfortable during the day, you won't need anything dressy for the evening because you won't want to go anywhere anyway! You'll look more attractive (smiling rather than wincing) after a day in good shoes, than after a day wearing great looking, but uncomfortable shoes. Bring an extra pair of dressy shoes if you think you'll need them. Good luck!

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 05:48 AM
cheryl

After several trips where I wore my dressier shoes only once or twice, I have finally decided that the only shoes I need are my Rockports. If you get them in black and in only of the more attractive styles (mine are sort of a ballet cut with crossed straps across the top)they go with just about everything and are extremely comfortable. With nice black pants and a silk shirt I can go anywhere at night, dinner, theatre, concert, etc.

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 09:44 PM
Donna

<BR> <BR>I don't know if there is an actual "saying" or eloquent quote for this but here is the sentiment: When trying to decide what shoes to wear, remember, it won't matter how cool your shoes look if your feet are in pain...it will show in your face. <BR> <BR>Perhaps a saying like, "No shoes are more attractive than a smiling, pain free face!" <BR> <BR>I wore what I thought were comfortable and fashionable shoes last time...walking around with no Metro nearby, and no choice but to finish the walk, my little toe began to hurt...it is a year later and that little toe still bothers me. At least I get to tell the story when I complain about it that I hurt it walking around Paris on my way from Notre Dame to the Rodin Museum... <BR> <BR>I think I'll check into the Aerosoles <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Anelise

I recently returned from a trip to Paris, and wore my black Hush Puppies--I have the slip on style. They were extremely comfortable,and water-proof as well. I also sell shoes, and Aerosoles are quite comfortable, but offer NO SUPPORT as they are much too flexible. (By the way, many Parisians stopped to ask me for directions, so I obvioulsy didn't look like an American.)

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 04:42 AM
lin delamaine

Thank heavens! Someone as shallow as I am! I have spent weeks wondering about what shoes to wear and have finally decided! Both DKNY and Calvin Klein make a black leather Teva-type sandal that is VERY chic, very comfortable and looks great with any length skirt/pant/short. It runs at around $100. I will also be taking DKNY runners and a pair of low-heeled mules for evening. We are going for two weeks and taking only carry on luggage! Have a blast. <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 09:44 AM
Cindy

After reading others' opinions on good walking shoes that are still fashionable enough for different situations, I went shopping and found two that seem great. Aerosoles in a flat navy suede with a bit of a open strappy look that can be dressy; the other is Lizsflex shoes ( Liz Claiborne). I found a really great flat that is black suede in that brand. The absolute best thing about them is that there are no seams on the inside of the shoe that could be felt. I have a million "comfortable" shoes, but after 8 hours or so it never fails that some seam that had never bothered me before begins to wear against my foot. Ugh! I have not taken my trip yet, but I have worn both shoes and I think either one is fantastic! I purchased both at a Dillards. By the way, thank you for bringing this up, because I had'nt thought about it before, and my feet may have been in a lot of pain otherwise! Have a great trip.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 04:04 AM
Karie

Just returned last night from Italy and this is THE most important subject. I took three pair of shoes, and opted to skip the tennis shoe thing, because I wanted to "fit in",but you just have to have comfortable shoes! It is absolutely essential! I ended up buying a pair of black soft-boots in Rome, or I don't think I could have finished the trip. Yes, you will look like a tourist in your tennis shoes, I would recommend Mephistos or something similar. I saw plenty of this type of shoe, and I wished for a thousand times the pair of $250 Echos that I left at home at the last minute. This is an investment in you having a good time...you will walk more than you can believe, so spend the money and get a great pair of very, very comfortable shoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -