Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris- Suggestion for hotel for older couple?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM
annieladd

My parents (77 and 83) will be in Paris in October. This is an annual trip for them, and I told them I'd find a great hotel for them through the nice folks at Fodors. In the past, they've stayed in the 1st, 4th, and 6th. Budget is 250-400E. My dad can't walk well, so location is important, but he can always take a taxi. Step mom would probably like to be near the Louvre, but it's not mandatory. Good service is important. Would just like to get your favorite hotel in this price range with good central location. Need a hotel where they'll take good care of this couple! Thanks annieladd

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is t here a reason they're not going back to a hotel they've stayed in before? If so, what did they dislike, or wish to improve upon, regarding the others?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM
annieladd

Elaine, my mom and dad enjoyed Paris every year for over 25 years, and stayed in various places. Now, he and my lovely stepmother spend a week or so there each year. No problems with other places, but just trying to see what others enjoy now. Let me know if you have any special place that you think would fit the bill.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM

In the 6th, the D'Aubusson which I love, and le Regent, which I hear is wonderful.
In the 1st, the Regina, though last time I was there, there was a clear difference between renovated and unrenovated rooms, that project must be completed by now.
Also, Intercontinental Grand.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM
annieladd

Ooh, Elaine, the D'Aubusson looks lovely, and a non-smoking floor as well. That would be very nice for them as well. Thanks so much for responding. Anyone else, just let me know your thoughts. annieladd

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM

http://www.hotelinformation.com/html...s/britannique/

Friends of ours stayed at the Brittanique this past winter and enjoyed it very much. We tried to stay there in March, but they were booked.
It is near the Louvre and in a very good location.
Hope this helps~
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM

We continue to stay the the Madison, which is in your price range. It's very centrally located on the Blvd. St-Germain, perhaps a 5-minute cab drive to the Louvre. There's a buffet breakfast in a room off the lobby, but continental breakfast can be served in the room. The staff are very helpful, and there are 2 taxi ranks within a block if you don't want to pay the extra to have one come right to the hotel.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Hi: I stayed at the Brittanique last September and it was a wonderful experience. Metro station and Taxi stand about 1/2 block away. One short block to the river. Great location in between the 1st and the 4th. Breakfast was great. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. readysetgo
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM

Yes, Hotel Britannique is great....I joined the idea of readyset go...
http://www.hotel-britannique.com

And if they prefer to stay in the Louvre area, why not have a look at the Hotel du Continent, a very nice 3 star ...There is an elevator, air conditioning and non-smoking rooms...Maybe it can be good for your parents. Have a look on http://www.hotel-du-continent.com

I wish a good trip to your parents!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:00 AM

My parents (79 and 85) are spending this week in Paris. They returned to the Citidine on Quai Saint Augustine in the 6th. My mother says that the features of an apartment (small refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher) with the service of a hotel works for them. They have breakfast in the hotel with my father going out for croissants. Then they tend to have lunch out and get some sort of take out or charcuterie and cheese for a light supper. Except for nights where they are going to concerts they aren't out late. We left something for them at the desk recently and looked at the prices and they are within your budget.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:28 AM

Hello annieladd,

My husband and I have stayed both in the Le Regent and the Madison. Both hotels are highly recommended here, but I would recommend the Madison over the Le Regent any day. In my opinion there is no comparison. The Madison is a lovely hotel and surpasses the Le Regent in all respects. It is more expensive than the Le Regent, but it is within your parent's price range. The location of the Madison is great and the deluxe rooms (especially the ones facing the boulevard) are wonderful - spacious and pleasantly decorated.

One thing to keep in mind if you are thinking about the Le Regent is that it has a narrow, winding staircase from the lobby (not much of one compared to the Madison) to the elevator. Also, the hallways at the Le Regent are rather narrow and dark.

There are many hotels to choose from and many which people here have used and enjoyed. I'm sure you will find a perfect hotel for them. I hope your parents have a great trip to Paris!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:54 AM

Hello AL:

Here is a post reporting our visit to Paris last November. The Pont Royal is a bit pricy, but the location in the 7th and the staff led by the concierge, Pierre Teng, make it worthwhile. Good Luck. Gradyghost

>THE 7TH IN PARIS: This was my first stay on the left bank. We chose Hotel Pont Royal on Rue Montelambert just off Rue de Bac. Henceforth, this will be my hotel in Paris. The lobby and bar staffmembers are uniformly great. I have a bad knee, so the Metro stairs are not an option, but the bus routes available from this hotel location more than make up. If art galleries are for you, the Pont Royal is in the midst of many.<
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:03 AM

I, too, recommend the Madison. It is conveniently located, the service is good and it is in your price range. Le Regent is nice but not for your parents because of the need to walk up one flight to the elevator and the narrow corridors. We stayed years back at the Hotel de Place du Louvre (an Esprit de France Hotel). It is charming and nicely located near the Louvre but under your price range.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM
annieladd

It's so fun to come home from work and find your thoughtful notes, they're like little gifts. If anyone else has suggestions, just let me know. annieladd

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM

One advantage to the Madison is that there are actually two elevators--one for people, one for people and luggage. Makes for less waiting. I should also note that there are a number of good places to eat in the blocks around the hotel, including Aux Deux Magots.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM
annieladd

Underhill, you always have such wonderful suggestions. I've looked at The Madison, and it looks like it would be perfect for them. We had a big family group in Paris in October (unfortunately without papa due to an ailment) and we stayed (on a budget) at a hotel near here, Hotel du St. Germain on rue de Four. And, I recall 30 years ago, going on my first European trip with my sweet mother, and we ate at Le Petit Zinc, which I think is just down the street from the Madison. Dad has his favorite restaurants about town, but let me know any favorite restaurants of yours that are within a very short walking distance of The Madison that they might enjoy?

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM

One of my all time favorites is the Relais Christine. Their site lists rooms starting at 440 euros but Hotels.com shows rooms "as low" as 345 euros. This would be a big splurge but it is a terrific hotel, location and lovely setting.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Thanks, annieladd.

Re restaurants: I'm not sure what would be walking distance, although I have a bad knee and like to avoid much more than 2 blocks on foot. About 4 doors from the Madison is an Italian restaurant called Vesuvius; it serves both Italian and French food. Two more doors away is a nice Chinese restaurant. Not too far away is L'Entrecôte, which does nothing but steak and salad and gets consistently high reviews. Another place not far off is Léon de Bruxelles, which is dandy for people who like mussels. Then there's La Maison du Jardin (I think I have that right); we didn't get there last trip, but it's been highly recommended by people on the bonjourparis.com site who spend considerable time in Paris. I'd be inclined to ask the people at the Madison about restaurants. The folks at the front desk are very knowledgable about nearby restaurants and will be happy to make reservations and call for a taxi.

I hope your parents have a wonderful time in Paris.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi annie,

Go to www.mappy.com and enter the address of Le Madison, 143 Boulevard St-Germain.

Vesuvio is just across the Blvd from the St. Germaine des Pres church. Very nice place. Wood fired pizza oven.

Rue Gisard, and the streets leading off it, is filled with small restos of all sorts.

Le Marche St Germain (the shopping bag) has a food hall.

Le Vagenende, 142 Bld St Germain, Belle Epoque décor. Very proper service, good (not exceptional) food. The room is the draw. Prices from 11E.

Hope this helps.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Please remember, being near a taxi stand does not guarantee being near a taxi; it often just means that there will be a telephone there to call a taxi. Try a hotel like the Lotti, near the Louvre and taxis are always parked outside. They usually have special prices that will fit your budget. JP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -