Traveling to Europe with 4 month old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2014, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new mom planning to travel to Europe with my husband and 4 month old baby in June ending for 15 days. I am breast feeding my baby. Need suggestion for packing things for baby. Can you please suggest what I should be packing for baby especially for the flight.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:20 AM

Try sitting in a chair for 6=9 hours, depending on where you are flying from. You need everything you and your baby use during that time "nearby".
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:21 AM

Gretchen, what great advice!
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:26 AM

And then add a few more diapers and a few extra sets of clothes. You just cannot plan well enough for unexpected delays, or baby blowouts.
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:08 PM

Definitely bring:

Whatever will keep the baby occupied
Whatever will keep the baby comforted
Twice as many diapers and clothes as you anticipate
PLENTY of baby wipes
(Find out in advance if one of the toilets has the pull-down table to change baby)

Do understand that when the planes increases and decreases altitude (take-off and landing) this may be VERY painful for the baby - since their ears re so tiny it affects many of them more - so have something the baby can suck on (bippy or whatever) which can ease the clogged ears. (This is common in many kids under the age of 2).

I hope you have bought a seat for baby or you - and the person sitting next to you (don't think there will be an empty seat) may get very tired of trying to keep the baby calm.

For the trip - what type of stroller do you plan on using? (I think carrying the baby the whole time - either on back or front - would be VERY wearing. You don;t say where you are going but do remember any place - esp if it's hot - both you and the baby need to remain well hydrated (a tiny baby can dry out and get overheated very quickly) and will need a hat and infant sunscreen for protection outdoors.
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM

*Disposable nappies (diapers), not the cloth sort.
*a change of clothes for baby and you in the plane (someone always vomits on someone else)
* warm socks for the baby on the plane (some planes are quite cold)
*a Baby Björn
*a pram (stroller)
* small fleecy blanket for the plane
*muslins (we use them a lot in Australia for swaddling, as a shade over the pram, to wipe up bodily fluids in an emergency)
*large ziplock bags to seal in dirty clothes / muslins.
*As nytraveler says, wipes are essential (especially for the plane).
*a couple of toys for the plane, maybe a fluffy one and a set of stackable cups that fit inside each other. At that age you are the main entertainment and the don't need that much.

Try to book ahead and ask your hotel or apartment owner to supply a travel cot. Don't take your own.

Will the baby be started on solids when you travel? Some people start early - my sister in law started one baby at 4 1/2 months. Maybe a single plastic bowl and spoon, if that's where you are at.

When we travel with kids we always go for an apartment - access to a washing machine and a microwave. Makes life much easier.

I am sure there are things you could add to the list, so this is somewhere to start.

Lavandula
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:39 PM

Oh, don't forget the high chair - get your hotel to supply that too (I forget when they can sit up by themselves).

Lavandula
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:38 PM

Four months won;t likely be sitting up much - the reason a stroller is so important.

And do be prepared for several accidents on the plane - and aim towards your spouse - not whatever stranger may be near the baby
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:12 PM

Are we really serious about this whole scene? Why did hubby schedule this for this time period? Really?
Don't forget booking the extra seat for baby and mom to sleep--maybe.
You do realize you're gonna spend most of these 10 days in
the hotel room with baby in bed?
C'mon folks.
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:26 PM

Buy the book Travels with baby. Great advice about everything in there
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the list.

For the trip we were planning to carry the baby in Ergo carrier. Tried to carry my baby in ergo yesterday but she didn't like it..started crying...so now I am thinking it's better to take stroller. We have britax stroller with car seat.

I didn't start any solids to my baby. She is just breast feeding for now...I am thinking to introduce formula as well which might be helpful during our trip.

Is stroller better or baby carrier for sight seeing?
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:34 PM

you should definitely see about getting bulkhead seats on the plane.. more room for baby's things and I have seen snap on bassinettes on some airlines. even if you have to pay extra reserve now. and when you get on the plane be sure to use some wipes for your seat and food tray.

to have some privacy while breast feeding on the plane/airport or other public places, you may want to bring a lightweight cotton shawl that you can drape.

if your baby is doing well in the stroller, then take it. you will be more comfortable if baby is comfortable and happy.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:39 PM

It is not usually recommended that formula be started as well as continuing to breast feed. Unless your baby's doctor has said to do that, it could be a mistake.

Gripe water.
Infant Tylenol (on your dr's reco)
Sleep Sheep to combat hotel noise
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:37 PM

What are you going to do when the belt sign is on, but the baby needs to be changed?

How will the baby handle the time change (jetlag) - try to change the sleeping/feeding schedule at home.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 02:19 AM

Don't change anything you absolutely don't have to change, like switching to formula or solid food, while on this trip.

Get the baby used to its stroller or Baby Born now, not during the trip.

Airplanes are very dehydrating. Plan to give the baby water frequently. Pay lots of attention to the issue of baby, air pressure, and ear pain. Babies don't know how to relieve t, and this is why they cry on planes. It is worse taking off and landing, but planes routinely go up and down several thousand feet to avoid traffic, turbulence, etc. None of this is fun for baby and can be dangerous if s/he has a cold.

If you parse the answers above, you will gather that almost everyone thinks this is a bad idea. What keys your pediatrician say?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 03:08 AM

You really MUST have a stroller. Carrying the baby all day is going to be both wearing on you and uncomfortable for baby.

Cna't overestimate the need to keep baby hydrated during the entire trip - on the plan and have during the rest of the trip.

Do you have seats arranged so that the baby can breastfeed privately? I know this is a normal function and am sympathetic with a mom's need for privacy - but it is likely there will be some people on the plane who think this should be done only in private and you don't want to be stuck in the toilet. (So better if you have bought 3 seats together on one side of the plane and you are in the window seat.)

And DO keep baby buckled into the seat belt at all times. Not doing so is VERY dangerous for baby if there is any turbulence or unexpected drop in altitude (you really can't hang on and the baby can become a flying missle). I was on one plane with potential landing gear issues and all babies on the plane had to be passed to the front and packed into the area behind the bulkhead wrapped in all of the blankets on the plane. One mom was very upset and didn't want to let go of her baby - and the copilot had to come back and take it from her by force (since baby safety was more important than mom's feelings). This is why I reco baby have her own seat and car seat that she can be safely buckled into.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 03:43 AM

Nursing your baby during takeoff and landing will help relieve the ear pressure problem--which is VERY real and painful to them.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 03:55 AM

With regard to keeping baby hydrated - a bottle and suitable water would be a good addition to breast milk. The baby maybe thirsty, not hungry, and water will help with that.
A young baby needs to lie flat. Spending all day in a car seat is not good for it. OK for the flight, not so OK for the rest of your trip.
Make sure you have some sort of sunshade for the child too, such as a clip on parasol.
Take things slowly on the trip - the baby needs to keep to routine as much as possible, and as a breastfeeding mum you need to keep hydrated and relaxed.
Many places do not like women breastfeeding in public. Whatever you do be discrete!
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 03:58 AM

In my experience, babies under 1 year of age are much easier to travel with than toddlers are.

With regard to the carrier/stroller question, it's impossible to answer without knowing where you're going. My daughter used a sling (homemade by Nonna!) to carry my granddaughter. This leaves only one arm free, but it's very cozy for the baby and also easy and lightweight for the parent. When we traveled in Italian cities, sometimes the sling was much more convenient than the stroller, because there are lots of places where a stroller is practically impossible. The stroller is very useful for putting the baby while you eat your meal. It's also very useful in the airport; the cabin attendents will take it from you as you board the plane and return it to you when you leave the plane. Make sure you have a stroller that can be folded easily and carried for a while if necessary.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 04:40 AM

Cobblestones make a stroller difficult also as needed as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -