Paris side trips HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris side trips HELP!

Author: cooncat
Date: 03/23/2005, 09:11 am
Message: Hi- just got great airfare to Paris. Been about 6 years since I"ve been there but my sweetie has never been. I'd like him to see more of the country than Paris, but we only have 7 days. We leave April 19. Are there any worthwhile side day trips? Other than Versailles, Giverny. Has anyone ever taken the Eurostar to London just for the day? Is it fun or a hassle? Thanks a lot,
Sharon

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:56 AM

1. Seven days in Paris is not too many
2. Good, one-day trips outside of Paris are:
- Fontainebleau: go on the train to Fontainebleau/Avon station, then bus out front to the chateau, then walk around town a bit, then return via bus/train
- Chartres: go on the train to Chartres station - you can see the great cathedral spire from the train station. Beautiful stained glass windows, interesting town, old wash houses along the river, many other interests
- Loire/Chateaux: take a coach tour ie. Paris Visions or such to two-three chateau in the Loire Valley; a long day but good French history outside of Paris
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
rex

Chartres, Senlis, Chantilly all worth visiting.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've been to Chartres - so maybe Chantilly or the Loire trips would be worthwhile. I've seen a lot of the country, but again, he hasn't! I think I'd love the whole 7 days in Paris, so I could really explore this time, but if he wants to get out to see more, I want to accommodate him. What about the London thing?

Merci encore....
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:31 AM

You can search on "London daytrip" etc and get some threads that way...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Will do!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Angers is another easy day trip...1.5 hours each way by direct TGV. Fascinating chateau, attractive medieval old town, a Maison du Vin where you can taste LV wines for free, pretty parks, lots of excellent little restaurants at VERY reasonable prices (under $20 pp for 3 courses and wine).
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM

Regarding London. Stay in Paris and save the money for a splurge to remember. You don't have enough time as it is.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
ira

Hi sharon,

>...he wants to get out to see more,...<

What does he know? He's never been to Paris.

With only 7 days, I suggest only one daytrip out of the city.

How about planning a couple of daytrips and then waiting until you get there before deciding IF you want to leave the city?

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:31 AM

St. Germain-en Laye is a suburb right on the RER route. A great park & place to walk as well as an interesting 'downtown'.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

"What does he know?" You're right! Ha! We just bought our air tickets yesterday, so I am (being somewhat of a planner when it comes to travel) trying to get rooms in Paris at this late notice. I'd prefer Latin Quarter, Marais, St,. Germaine... So i'm trying to figure out if I need rooms for all 7 nights. Should I just reserve for a few nights and punt the rest? That's how I did it last time, on my solo trip there. But that was 5-6 years ago!

Thanks for all the advice - I'll look into some of those other spots. Actually, what I'd really like to do is go south, to Nice or somewhere. Ahh...so many places, so little time...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM

I agree that 7 days in Paris is not too much and that, once there, you probably won't want to leave for long. I suggest saving London for a future trip for two reasons. One, there is plenty to do in Paris and environs and two, London is so fabulous that is deserves much longer than a day trip.

I agree with others who say to plan to stay in Paris for all 7 nights and decide whether you want day trips after you get there and, if so, where you want to go. We usually take one day trip when we are in Paris for a week and my favorites are Giverny and Chartres. The Loire valley should be lovely in April and if you can arrange a day there, that would be nice, too.