Reload this Page >

paris -safety concerns

Search

paris -safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:34 AM
cm

paris -safety concerns

I would like to hear from those recently back from Paris. Did you have any problems with theft. In the news, I've read about theft involving snakes and small apes? Thank you!

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:03 AM
Bob Brown

I did not run into any of that kind of thing last September when I was in Paris. I was, however, accosted 3 times by various forms of beggars. <BR>Outside of Gare Montparnasse we were hounded by a group of young men claiming to be raising money for Kossovo. They were probably doing it for themselves. <BR>They were very aggressive. <BR>At Gare d'Lyon a homeless man (looked like it anyhow) pushing a luggage cart wanted 10 francs to take our luggage in. <BR>We gave it to him, but when we approached the entrance from out taxi, the regular porters virtually assaulted him physically. Then, while I was trying to find my train, a young woman approached me and asked for 10 francs. <BR>On my previous trip, I encountered a pickpocket who did not take anything, but a passenger on the subway car told me about. (I think he was an American.) I don't know if there was more of that kind of begging activity this year or if I just had a "run" on beggars this year. <BR>I had expected to see "gypsies" (whatever they might be) in Vienna, but there were none to be seen. <BR>Perhaps the pickpockets in Paris have turned to begging. It is probably safer that way.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:12 AM
Lori

I just returned from Paris and had no problem with the gypsies. In fact, I did not see any. However, we were approached by several people begging for money and we simply replied "no, merci' and waved them off and that was that. The strangest one was when we were approached by a well dressed woman in her 20's on the Blvd. St. Germain asking for money. She was wearing new jeans, a new jeans jacket, nice black boots, and was clean and well spoken. Didn't get that one.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:27 PM
Joan

Snakes and small apes would make the news but I never saw any bizarre activity like that. I was just there in August and didn't have a single encounter. We travelled the metro everywhere and we were on the street late into the evening. It's a big, bustling city with big city problems. Just have to be aware of your surroundings at all times and take the usual precautions.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:34 PM
lionstigersbears

I'm from a very large US city & I felt much safer in Paris. But, was concerned to hear of rampant snake and monkey thefts.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 01:02 PM
Monty

I, too, was concerned to hear about the apparent crime wave in Paris involving reptiles and apes (small ones, no less!). Thieves just have no decency nowadays. If I were Paris-bound, I would definitely leave all my snakes and monkeys at home. I don't think theft of same would be covered by insurance, even if one used their major credit card's Collision Damage Waiver option.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:45 AM
Bonzo

Well, speaking as a member in good standing of the ape race, let me say that you all have this wrong. We are NOT out stealing apes and snakes. What we actually do (we apes that is) is find a lost looking tourist, run up to them, take out our snake, stick it in their face, and demand all of their money. Most times this works like a charm, but there have been times when I have been forced to put my snake away and bring out my REAL pet snake to threaten them with.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 09:14 AM
Ann

Paris (and most other European cities) are at least as safe as most US cities. People who are worried about homeless people and people begging are probably not used to that sort of thing, but I see at least as much of it in NYC and Boston as I did when I was in Paris. Just ignore it.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Safety concerns

Paris and other European cities are actually stastically MUCH safer than comparable US cities.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Brian in Atlanta

True, but those statistics do not include data on snake and small ape attacks.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Angela

Good point Brian! lol

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 03:13 PM
rand

Must remember to pack my machete. Paris sounds a lot like Botswana