Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris restaurants? What's your favorite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:47 AM
hb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My husband and I are heading to Paris on Saturday- need suggestions for places to eat in all price ranges and all cuisines. Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:41 AM

Chez Julien, metro Hotel de Ville, corner of 1 rue Pont Louis Philippe and 62 rue de l?Hotel de Ville..
traditional French food and charming decor, probably about 60-70 e pp these days (more, depending on wine), though a less expensive prix fixe is also available.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:47 AM
hb
Original Poster

any more suggestions?
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:51 AM
ira

McDonalds, Champs Elysee Moderate prices, French-style American cuisine
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM

see the thread I generated on eating in La Marais....I leave on Friday - let's hope for good weather!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:53 AM
ira

Hi hb,

Have you done a text search for "Paris Resturants"? There are dozens of threads.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:55 AM

Hi,
Cafe de la Poste on Castex in the Bastille area. Quaint and delicious. I've honestly not eaten any bad food during my two trips to Paris. Enjoy. Tim
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:53 AM

Bofinger near the Bastille...a great brasserie.

Jules verne in the Eifel Tower for a very special, romantic evening. Usually you need reservations months in advance...but tell your concierge to check for cancellations...we did and it was wonderful.

June
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:31 AM

We like some of the smaller bistros with typically French bistro cooking such as Bastide d'Odeon, opposite the Luxembourg Gardens and La Fontaine de Mars, which is open Sunday, in the 7th Arr.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:53 AM

hb,

Here are a few of our favorites from our last trip. They are listed from most expensive to least.

1. MICHEL ROSTANG: Absolutely, positively the best restaurant experience of our lives. I have worked in and run restaurants and hotels for nearly 21 years and have never had an experience to equal this one. The dining room is gorgeous, the service beyond fault and the food indescribable. We ordered three courses (al a? carte) but ended up with around ten?they just kept bringing out delicacies as the chef whipped them up. If you want to be pampered beyond belief, this is the place to go.
2. LE JULES VERNE (Tour Eiffel): When we initially made reservations for lunch (dinner was booked through the 4th of never) they told us there was no chance of a window table: they lied. When we arrived, they seated us at what was arguably the best window table in the place. The second we sat down, Clare de Lune (sp?) began playing (one of my all-time favorites) and I lost it. The view, the music, my beautiful date?I was simply overwhelmed. As for the food, it was much better than I expected. It wasn?t on par with Michel Rostang but it was very, very good (crab souffle? baked in a loaf of bread, marinated squid stuffed with chantairelles and fois gras). I realize this place gets uneven reviews, however, I would recommend it as an unforgettable experience not to be missed.
3. BRASSERIE BOFINGER: We simply loved brasseries and this was our favorite! Great atmosphere, great service and wonderful brasserie fare. If you?re in the mood for shellfish and choucroutte, this is the place for you.
4. LE BON ACUILLE: I?m quite sure I haven?t spelled this one right but it?s a lovely little restaurant near the tour Eiffel. Delightful prix-fix menu featuring everything from seafood stews (one of the best soups I?ve ever eaten) to duck with figs. Great place and reasonably priced wine list to boot.
5. BRASSERIE BALZAR: Small neighborhood brasserie in the 5the featuring probably the best sole meuniere and Steak Tartare I?ve ever tasted. Good solid service and an intimate locals atmosphere. Place was packed every time we walked by.
6. POLIDOR: Locals place located in the 6the. Very casual, very inexpensive and quite good. They serve classics such as blanquette de veau and beouf bourgignon. Be prepared to share a table as everyone is seated at picnic-style tables.

Have a great trip!

Strive
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:17 PM
hb
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:04 PM

For a lively brasserie atmosphere with attractice decor and good solid meals, try Le Vaudeville, on Rue Vivienne across from the Bourse in the 2nd.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider Le Buisson Ardent, 25 rue Jussieu, near the Jussieu Metro, great food at a great price, modern preparations. Don't miss the fruit soup dessert.

L'Atlas, 12 bd St-Germain, 5me, Metro Maubert-Mutualite, for interesting combinations of ingredients in their tajines and cous cous, and a nice decor to boot.

Au Dromedaire Gourmand, near the Maubert Mutualite Metro, for copious high quality North African fair at bargain prices. Simple decor.

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:40 PM

FLUNCH! For a lot of food, a rarity in French restaurants, head to Flunch, a cafeteria featuring the most French of al possible foods. Like Old Country Buffet in the States, Flunch provides unlimited helpings of many of the most popular French foods. Located all over paris and France, for about 10 euros can you eat and drink all you want. Plus you need not deal with surley waiters!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:48 PM

good suggestion. when you need lots of food, but don't care about the quality, just the quantity -- head there.
Pull up to the trough and fill up. Soo-ey!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:54 PM

Palenque - what IS it with you and Le Flunch? I mean, yes, it's an all you can eat place in Paris that tries to mimic similar places in America, but is this what you go all the way to Paris for? YUCK! I mean, it's FINE for kids - believe me, when my kids were toddlers, we ate in Flunches, but are you kidding as a serious place to eat in Paris, the food mecca of the world?

La Fontaine de Mars and Le Florimond are two of my favorite places to eat in Paris, both in the 7me. Le Croque au Sel is also good - VERY inexpensive (they have a major special for people - read tourists- who order before 8 pm) right next to La Fontaine de Mars on the rue Ste-Dominique. All are inexpensive to moderate, meaning 20 - 40€ per person with wine.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:28 PM

Le Grand Cafe at 4 boulevard des Capucines by the Opera Garnier. The entire place if stained glass, they cook the food at your table, and it's very reasonably price.

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Another vote for Le Grand Cafe. They have a web site.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:49 AM

For lunch either Mariage Freres in the Marais or Laduree on the Champs Elysee.

For dinner, L'Orangerie on the Ile St. Louis.

For ice cream or light fare Berthillon on the Ile too.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:19 AM

I am surprised, no one mentioned the Restyaurant Chartier. Acording to the Parisians is a landmark. When you get tired of all the grand restaurants, which I doubt you would get a table, due to such short notice, you can head to Chartier, and know you are in a 200 years original decor, with aproned Parisian waiters serving you. The menu is typical bistro fair, not at all inspiring, but honest. All for around 15 to 25 Euros. There is always a line, which moves fast, so be patient. The address is 7 Fab.Montmartre, near the Grand Boulevards, Metro station just short walk from the restaurant, is Grand Boulevards on line 8 or 9. For ambiance you could try "Le Train Bleu" Belle Epoque decor at the Gare de Lyon. It is so beautiful!and Andre Malraus declared an historic monument in 1972. the food is very honest, and the restaurant cuisine is done by the same people as the hotel Crillon, so you can expect mistake. For a Michelin restaurant I started going to, when it just started at the Rive Gauche(left bank)is Yvan. Now installed at 1 bis R. Jean Mermoz, on the 8th. arrondisement, in the Champs Elysee area. Many new generation celebrities go there to be seen. And the seafood is superb, as Yvan himself, when he comes to the dining room to gree the clientele. The metro is Franklin-D Roosevelt, line 1 or 9.
I lived in Paris for 2years, and in Grenoble for 6, and the restaurants above, are the ones of many we would go with our Parisian friends. But most of them are very friendly to the tourists as well.
I love Paris, so hope you really have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -