Reload this Page >

Paris Restaurants

Search

Paris Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Libby

Paris Restaurants

My list of Paris restaurants/bistro is: <BR> <BR>L'Epi Dupin <BR>L'Os a Moelle <BR>Chardenoux <BR>Le Petit Marguery <BR>Le Vieux Bistro <BR> <BR>I can only choose 3 and need help.What would be your 3 choices? <BR>Thanx!

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Lori

Haven't been to the others, but L'Epi Dupin is terrific. We went for lunch in a party of four; everyone agreed that it was wonderful. It's very rustic looking on the inside, and very small. Lunch took forever, even by French standards. We followed it up with a rainy afternoon of shopping at Le Bon Marche...I love Paris!

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Maribel

A second for L'Epi Dupin, and the "menu" at lunch is one terrific bargain, plus the location a block from the wonderful food halls of the Bon Marche!

Old May 16th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Jen

L'Epi Dupin was wonderful last Wednesday night! <BR> <BR>That was one of our 3 choices last week. Our other choices (both of which we thought were better than L'Epi Dupin): <BR> <BR>- Les Bookinistes was heaven; I would pick this first! <BR>- Le Bastide Odeon was also wonderful. I liked L'Epi Dupin better, but my husband liked this better. <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Sandy

Jen I agree about L'Epi Dupin and Le Bastide Odeon but Les Bookinistes was touristy and the decor was overdone.Libby- L'Os a Moelle is similar to L'Epi Dupin as they are "modern bistros".The other 3 are more "traditional". Good Luck

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Patti Suttle

Libby-I am trying to do the same thing! <BR>Mainly I am trying to find a great place for our first night in Paris. <BR>I have it narrowed down to'Affriole, <BR>L'Epi Dupin and La Fontaine de Mars. <BR>My question is: what are some of the menu items at L'Epi Dupin? Anyone that has been there-esp. recently know? <BR>Thank you! <BR>Patti

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:49 AM
Alex

Libby: <BR> <BR>Sad to report, but Le Vieux Bistro is closed. We were in Paris on May 1, 2001, and the bistro appeared as though it were being renovated, along with others along that same stretch.It may be some time before it will reopen.

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:12 AM
francesca

L'Epi Dupin is good, but you will find a lot of people (have to reserve at least a week in advance, for dinner) and a lot of other Americans). I would definitely choose L'Os a Moelle, just be aware that they have a set menu: what they have that night is what you'll eat. Great way to discover new things. Chardenoux has received mixed reviews but is in a less touristy area. <BR>Le Petit Marguery is also in a non-touristy area. Might be pricier than these other choices. I would definitely recommend La Bastide Odeon--a very nice choice, and good area to walk around in afterwards. The Zagats guide site might be a good place to look for comments from "real people"--www.zagats.com click on Paris. Good luck.

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:45 AM
Ursula

Libby: I second Francesca's suggestion "La Bastide". I have not been there for some time, as I usually like to discover new places when in Paris. <BR>I've also heard good things about L'Os à la Moélle". <BR>Both are popular with the Parisians as well. <BR>Make sure you have a reservation, especially for dinner depending on when you intend to go. Some long weekends are ahead like Ascension and Whitsuntide and May/June are very popular months for Europeans for a short getaway to Paris. <BR>Some places may close down in August.

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Chris

Thanks guys!I was looking for some reccomendations and this is a list to start helping me with my plans.

Old May 17th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Libby

Thank you Alex for the heads up about Le Vieux Bistro.Francesca, I was sorry to read your mediocre review of Chardenoux.What was it that gave the bistro mixed reviews.Thankx for the comments ,they will help me decide.

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Gregory

You may want to add these historic bistros to the list. <BR> <BR>Benoit <BR>Chez L'Ami Louis

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Sandy

I see Benoit mentioned in many guidebooks as the top of the list upscale Bistros.I'm searching for a bistro with outstanding food and old world atmosphere.I'm not that worried about the price.Can anybody give me a first hand review. <BR>Thanks Sandy

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Alan

L'Epi Dupin is the classic elbow to elbow Parisian bistro. Particularly superb was their "pintade farci," a marvelous stuffed guinea hen. It was the best I've ever had. Chardenoux is also excellent. The staff is charming and tables provide a bit more space. I can't recall the name of the dish I had, but it was a creation of eggs poached in a rich burguny and bacon sauce. My friend had marvelous beef cheeks which were tender and rich.

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Joe

A different take on Les Bookinistes: I've been there twice, the last time at Thanksgiving '99. I liked the setting (sort of Phillipe Starck modern) as well as the food. It's owned by Guy Savoy, a celebrity chef who has an eponymous 2 star restaurant, and the menu has an interesting range of choices. Plus the waiters were young and friendly. I'm looking forward to going back the next time I'm in Paris. Joe

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:20 PM
topsy

To the top.

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Jody

I too love le Bookinistes, just don't go on Halloween. The French have not quite gotten that holiday down yet. <BR>They were having more fun than we and the food suffered!!

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Robert B.

I have not been to Benoit but would like to add the bistro to my June Paris restaurant list.The books call Benoit the archetypal Parisian bistro with very good food and a seductive decor.I rather read someones actual comments then always rely on the travel books.Anybody? <BR>Thank You ,Robert B.

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:45 PM
grace

Can anyone else confirm that Le Vieux Bistro in the 4th. is closed or being renovated. Thanks. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2001, 02:51 PM
topper

to the top

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -