Paris Restaurant and Foodie Tour Recs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for restaurant recommendations for a birthday dinner on Dec 11, 2019. There are six of us. Four of us are staying in the 6th and the other couple is staying in the 1st. We would like to keep it close. Our hotel i the 6th made the following recommendations:
L'enfance de Lard Rue Guisarde.
Le Machon d'Henri Rue Guisarde
Brasserie Fernand Rue Guisarde
Madamador ( A new one , good ) rue Guisarde.
La Méditerranée Carrefour de L'Odeon
La Maison du Jardin 27 Rue de Vaugirard near Luxembourg Gardens.

Any experience or other recommendations?

Also, we would like to go on a food tour on the 12th. Our friends did a Montmarte food tour on their last trip. Any suggestions on a food tour?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 03:20 AM

Of those you are considering I have dined in Machon d'Henri, Mediterranee, and Maison du Jardin.

We particularly enjoy Mediterranee and have spent 2 or more birthday dinners for 2 there. I am guessing that it is the most expensive of the three. It is also the most "Americanized" and modern of them but still "French." . It is fish and seafood focused. Has the most room for a party of 6.

Machon d'Henri is "cute", French or Parisian in a typical bistro sort of way, but would I expect be a tough fit for a party of 6 and might be a little too cozy.

Maison du Jardin is about right in the middle of the other two, could accommodate a party of 6 with little difficulty, has a wide range of selections and is well regarded on this and other websites. My 2013 Zagat guide gives it a 25 to Mediteranee's 22 (does not list Machon d'Henri).

So among these three a golidlocks comparison would say Mediterranee too big, Machon d'Henri too small, and Maison du Jardin just right. Sorry I have no experience with the rest of the hotel's recommendations but I would advise you to make a comparison of all of them on Trip Advisor, to see what the pictures show of their decor and food presentations, what the prices andratings are and then just give it your best shot. Most of all, enjoy and have a wonderful birthday celebration.

p.s. Depending upon where your hotel/s are and what the tastes of your group are, if you want to try a really super French, old fashioned bistro with enough room to accommodate a party of 6, but with prices somewhat to quite a bit above those of the list your hotel presented, I recommend Josephine/Chez Dumonet on rue du Cherche Midi. It's excellent and truly authentic old school.

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 07:04 AM

I don't know those restaurants but can recommend the food tours given by Paris by Mouth. We had a wonderful time our a tour with this group.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KTtravel
I don't know those restaurants but can recommend the food tours given by Paris by Mouth. We had a wonderful time our a tour with this group.
Which tour was your favorite?
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 01:31 PM

We enjoyed the Paris by Mouth cheese tour a few years ago. Eight of us spent time in the cheese shop, discussing all aspects of the production and aging of cheese. Meg talked about the cheeses with us and with the shopkeeper, purchasing a variety. We then walked to a nearby wine shop and settled in the back room, and we progressed through the cheeses, mild to sharp, sipping selected wines as we talked and enjoyed the cheese with baguette. And the members of the group took the leftovers home.

In November we're looking forward to the Paris by Mouth tour of the Marais.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Les Climats is in the 6th. It has one Michelin star.

The wines are amazing.

Thin,aristocrat 🍷🥧
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 03:49 AM

jmsvss, we did one of the walking tours. I think it was the Taste of the Latin Quarter. I am sorry, I don't have my notes available. It included Rue Mouffetard.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 12:29 PM

The Paris chowhound.com message board is wonderful. They will give you the unvarnished truth about your restaurants. You can also search for info on restaurants in the 6th on their boards. Parisbymouth.com has a good listing of restaurants by arrondissement also. I never use trip advisor for food recs and sometimes am sceptical of Hotel recommendations that may be more based on what they think Americans want.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 12:39 PM

A trusted contributor to the chowhound.com Paris board, John Talbott has his own site with succinct reviews of lunches around town. He also maintains a listing by arrondissements.

https://johntalbottsparis.typepad.com/
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdogmom
The Paris chowhound.com message board is wonderful. They will give you the unvarnished truth about your restaurants. You can also search for info on restaurants in the 6th on their boards. Parisbymouth.com has a good listing of restaurants by arrondissement also. I never use trip advisor for food recs and sometimes am sceptical of Hotel recommendations that may be more based on what they think Americans want.
Thank you! I don't now why I didn't think of Chowhound. The site has always delivered the best advice. I completely agree with you about TripAdvisor. There are MacDonald's rated 5*
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Another enthusiastic vote for consulting the Paris board of Chowhound. The invaluable Parisian resident posters, John Talbott, Ptipois and Parnassian and their recommendations there have yet to steer me wrong.