Paris - Real advice for American

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hearing about Parisians attacking McDonald's - Anti-American sentiment, and the traces of Risin found in a Paris train station - I am understandably nervous about visiting Paris for the Paris Marathon the first week of April. Should I reschedule my trip? I'm a first-time visitor of Europe, don't speak French, but have dreamed of this trip all year. Is it true that Paris/French citizens hate all Americans? Will I be pelted with Croissants? <BR><BR>Hopeful that you will convince me to go....
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:56 AM

<BR>As a veteran of 18 marathons in Europe and the US, I would rank Paris in the top 3. The route is gorgeous - I'll never forget running down the middle of the Champs Elysee with 25,000 other runners.<BR><BR>That being said, and as an expat living in Europe, you will most likely encounter anti-war sentiment in some form. I would not have said this a week ago - but I have noticed that since the war began a shift in feeling here. Protests are large. People are vocal. Signs and banners are not as much anti-american but anti-war. <BR><BR>I have not felt in danger, but it is uncomfortable as an American. <BR><BR>You have to make this decision. If this is too disturbing to you, maybe you should not go.<BR><BR>I would go in a heart beat because entry into this race is not a given. You may never have this chance again -- and after the months of training that I'm sure you have put in, its a shame to waste!<BR><BR>My last advice: Beware of the cobblestones, especially if it has been raining, and cut your tangents.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:57 AM

I'm hopeful, too, Hopeful. You have to decide this for yourself, but I'm going to France, including a week in Paris, in May. I never considered cancelling. I truly believe -and I'm being soooo careful not to get into any of the crud that gets going on these threads one way or another- that PEOPLE are going to treat ME the way that I treat them, as people. So I'd try to tell you to GO!
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:57 AM

According to another recent thread I'd be more concerned about being swatted by a baguette.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:24 AM
LN

I've always heard, under normal trips, that the Parisians are a bit disdainful of the Americans. Fortunately we've never experienced it. We attempt to treat people we meet as we would like to be treated and, so far, have received the same in return.<BR><BR>This is a decision that only you can make. Paris is a beautiful city but if you're nervous you may do better by rescheduling your trip at a later time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:25 PM
esd

Okay, I may get some flack but there is no way I would go to Paris again, at least in the foreseeable future.<BR>I noticed today that the air fare from my city to Paris is the lowest I've seen in years, but even if I could fly for free, they would not get my hard-earned vacation dollars. This is the only way I know of that I can show my distaste for their recent actions. Are they entitled to their opinion?..of course. But remember that if ALL the security council had put up a united front, SH might have conceded that the game was finally up and our troops might not be in Iraq today. <BR><BR>We should all be singing..&quot;see the USA in your Chevrolet......&quot;
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's some thing with hope, hoeful.<BR><BR>www.paris-anglo.com
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:27 PM

For nice alternatives to France see<BR><BR>http://www.vetolafrance.com/
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM

We have friends in Paris now. They have emailed that they have had no problems. They have an apartment in Paris and travel there maybe ten times a year, so they would be aware of any major problems. It can't be much different than the protests here in SF and other parts of the country, tying up traffic etc..<BR><BR>We were going to cancel a trip to Paris in the 80's when they had numerous terriorists problems, hidden bombs, etc.. but didn't because I knew that if I cancelled out of fear, I would be afraid to travel again. <BR>We were there on 9/11 and you can't imagine the feelings of warmth and solidarity that the French people expressed to us when they heard us speak English.<BR><BR>Enjoy yourself, it is a fabulous city, everything you have hoped it would be. <BR><BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice! I'm going to go for it - because the marathon is an international event and I want to feel a part of the world, not just my little corner of it. I'll give a report when I get back!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:49 AM
LN

great!! We'll look forward to your post on your return.<BR><BR>Enjoy yourself and enjoy Paris!
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 10:52 AM

Going to London/Dublin in June with family that includes three boys. Originally we were going London/Paris but I don't want to spend any of my money in France or on French products.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Brutforce

I just returned from Paris Sat. w/my wife &amp; infant daughter. We had a wonderful time. We heard nothing about any of the things you mentioned &amp; we were there ! I would encourage you to ignore the sensationalized media frenzy &amp; enjoy your trip. I have never experienced any negatives while in Paris &amp; for example, were ALWAYS offered seats on the Metro by nice Parisians. (That sure doesn't happen here). I will post a more detailed report later but don't believe everything you read. Paris was &amp; still is the most wonderful city in the world as far as I am concerned. As for the poster prior to me - that is your perogative but what does your comment have to do w/this post ? How many french products do you buy now ? I am sure a virtual pleathora. What nonsense.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:46 AM

This topic is so old but still lives on! From experience in Europe and Asia I feel that if you expect people to recognise you are foreign and go out of their way you are ignorant. Irish people are very friendly but if you are rude and depmanding they will not go out of their way for you. I know what they say after meeting these peeple as they ask me in amazement why some american are nice and others so rude.<BR><BR>It is the same in any country. If you are respectful in your approach to people whether you speak the language or not they will treat you in the same manner. Many people travelling abroad the first time are quite uncomfortable at how different the places are and I feel it their nervousness comes across as agressive. If you approach French people thinking they all hate Americans you aprehension will come across and they may be aloof back to you. A smile and a gentle manner has got me through many difficult situations when in an unknown place. If we harp on these silly perceptions we will make them come true. <BR><BR>A friend of mine who is a lovely person in America would never take a foreign holiday because she states she will not like the food and she does not like foreign people. I told her that my parents were foreign (born in Europe) and it never occurred to her as they get on well. She has this irrational xenophobic fear of foreign countries that I cannot understand in a young educated woman.<BR><BR>Go relax and smile, its hard not to smile back at someone smiling at you!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Brutforce

topping

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I think there is clearly a difference between those who don't want to go to France for political reasons, and those who don't want to go because they are worried about being harrassed or attacked or being in danger.<BR><BR>Politically, people have to make their own decisons, but please don't make yourself right and therefore other travelers wrong.<BR><BR>From safety/security/mistreatment issues, the consensus from most recent travelers is that they've been treated just the same as ever, which means politely, amicably, etc.<BR>The occasional unpleasant &quot;incident&quot; that makes the papers is the exception rather than the rule; that's why it makes the papers.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Thanks to you all who have given confidence in traveling to France. Sure, everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion, but sharonkaye's comment is bothersome.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Nothing wrong with boycotting French or German products. Both countries have lied and now are caught in those lies. Francofile just because you genuflect and probobly worship anything and everything French does not mean the rest of the world does.<BR>What you are saying is disturbing. You might as well be supporting Adolf Hitler.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:59 PM

francophile,<BR><BR>&quot;bothersome&quot;...why?< BR><BR>Are you saying she doesn't have a right to spend her $$$ where she wants!<BR><BR>Guess what, I'm 'bothersome&quot; as well as my wife and I cancelled our trip to the Loire Valley and are now going to Ireland and Wales and England.<BR><BR>&quot;bothersome&quot;...get a grip...its not your $$$$ and we can spend it when and where we choose...at least util some of you liberals get the power to tell us when and where..and that's not happening anytime soon!<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:58 PM

We are american expats and we are going to Paris this weekend. I'll keep you posted how it was. I always check the U.S. State Department website for any updates. As always, it's important to avoid any street demonstrations. We've actually had some here in England as well in the smaller cities.