Reload this Page >

Paris, Prague, Vienna in March 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Kay

We are traveling to Paris in March, 2002 for two nights.Plan to take a train to Vienna and Prague. I would like some information on hotels, restaurants, clothing to take and what to expect. Leaving from Frankfurt back to the States on March 31. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Bob Brown

Paris is full of good, small hotels. Many people who contribute to this forum have their own favorites. The Muguet ranks high among the 2 star hotels. I have my own favorite in the 14th.<BR>In Vienna, we found the Hotel Carlton Opera on Schikanedergasse to be fully satisfactory. Our room was large, comfortable, and air conditioned. (In early September that was welcome,)<BR>The breakfast, included, was very good and plenty of variety.<BR>Schikaneder by the way wrote the libretto to The Magic Flute. He was a man of the theater in Mozart's time.<BR>I presume the street is named in his memory.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Linda

You didn't say the price range for the hotels so I would recommend nethotels.com for both Vienna and Prague. It has very good options in all price ranges and has events as well as hotels/pensions. I stayed in the Hotelpension Arenberg in Vienna and was very pleased. It is a 4-star, inside the Ring, Best Western (but with posh Vienna feel), with bathtub, homemade muslei for breakfast, nice staff. Autographed pictures of famous conductors, stars, etc., line the wall to Frau Arenberg. It is a 2-minute walk to U-Bahn stop and 5-minute one to Stephensplatz. For really nice hotels--try SAS Radisson, Sacher; for a 3-star, try Hotel Drei Kronen (with good buffet breakfast) and close to Opera. You should have coffee and torte at Demel's, Sacher torte at the Sacher, weinerschnitzel at Figlmullers (near Stephensplatz). Go to the Vienna Woods and try the regional wine in a wine cafe.<BR>In Prague, we stayed at a nice penzion--Penzion Balbin. It is clean, shower & toilet in room, helpful English-speaking staff, on top floors of apartment building (with elevator) and has locked door to outside so safe, 5-10 minute walk to just about anywhere you want to see. It is near the Muzeum Metro and Wenceslas Square. Be sure to see the Charles Bridge at night.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 02:35 PM
jane

Curious as to what people think about whether this itinerary is doable in 1 1/2 weeks? Would love to go to these 3 places this summer and wondering if we can fit it in (have been to Paris before but not Vienna or Prague). <BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Bob Brown

Well, it is a darn long train ride from Paris to Vienna!!<BR>13 and a half hours. Just about uses up the day.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Richard

I was in Paris last year, and was recommended the Hotel Royal Phare. Nothing fancy...basic 2/3 star hotel. I paid 70 usd for 2 people..with private bath and shower with hairdryer, etc. The bathroom was very large and had good water pressure (plenty of hot water!). The room was somewhat small and typical of Europe. The owners were extremely nice and helpful. Room was cleaned every day.<BR><BR>The advantage of this hotel: 5 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower, the Metro Ecole Millitare (subway) right infront, a supermarket next door, a bakery/gourmet deli on the other side, and around the corner is Rue Cler.<BR><BR>If you'd like any more info, please feel free to ask!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Jennifer

Kay -<BR><BR>Having just returned from Vienna and having visited Paris last year, I would so it is doable if you are only spending two nights in Paris. We were in Vienna for 5 days/4 nights and still didn't see everything. I wouldn't spend less than four full days in Vienna. You must go to the opera even if you aren't an opera fan. It was a great experience. The city is beautiful, people were very friendly, make time to sit and enjoy a coffee each day, go to Schonbrunn Palace, tour the Hofburg and walk the narrow charming streets. Enjoy!