Reload this Page >

Paris: Possibly by myself

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Tammy

Two years ago I went on a two-week world wind tour of Europe with a tour group with a day and a half in Paris. In April of this year I went to London with my Mom and had a fabulous time. I am planning a trip to Paris for September 2000 and there is a good possibility that I won't be able to convince any of my friends or family to go with me. However, I have decided that I am going to go to Paris with or without someone. From those of you who have travelled on their own, how comfortable and safe did you feel? I am planning on taking several day trips outside of Paris and also visiting as much as I can of Paris, but also soaking up the feel of the city. I would love to hear of others experiences.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 11:07 AM
Christina

Well, I've traveled a lot on my own, and with others, and I'm not sure there's a real good answer to your question because it depends so much on an individual's interests, experience and commonsense/travel-savvy. I don't really understand safety concerns or what that has to do with traveling alone. Paris isn't the third world so you would be as safe there (and probably more so) than any large U.S. city. If you plan on going around by yourself very late at night or after midnight then I would say you are probably not as safe alone. Or, if you plan to hang around bars or questionable areas or travel by train at night or something, then I would say you are not as safe. But for a typical tourist trip to Paris alone, visiting tourist areas & sites in the day time, whether you are alone is of no consequence. I'm not sure what you mean by comfortable--if you mean can a single woman have dinner by herself in Paris without feeling like a real oddball or that she is scorned, then, of course, there's no problem with that (well, there is in some establishments, just like is US--I was treated extremely rudely by a nice restaurant in St-Germain, and I think it was because I was a single female, as I speak French, was well-dressed and alone (ie, certainly quiet and causing no one any problems)--they just ignored me mainly, I was lucky I ever got served or got out of there, couples who arrived a half hour after me got served before I did. So, generally, I stick to nice cafes or low-mod. priced ones, but not the really expensive ones when I travel alone, unless I'm on business and eating on expense account in the hotel dining room or something. I will say that when I travel alone to countries where I don't speak the language, I am not as comfortable as when traveling with someone, but this is a matter of emotional/psychological needs, not safety. You can just miss having someone to share things with, to discuss experiences with, etc., and this is more isolating and alienating when everything around you is a foreign language and everyone is speaking but you can't understand anything they say. Also, minor mishaps, etc. are more trying and taxing when you are alone as there is no one to help figure things out, to share the burden with, etc. I usually get by okay because I'm very resourceful, experienced and have a lot of common sense, but I've had problems traveling alone in foreign countries where I didn't speak or read the language that might throw a less experienced/resourceful person. So, you will need to make that assessment for yourself. Also, I'm very independent and live alone, anyway, so I'm used to doing things by myself and entertaining myself, but if you aren't used to that, it might be more difficult for you to travel alone. There are advantages, however, in that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want without feeling guilty or arguing or being stuck with a neurotic travel partner with completely different interests and tastes, etc. That counts a lot with me which is why the idea of traveling with someone just to not be alone never appealed to me; I would only travel with someone whose company I truly enjoy and who has similar tastes and interests, at least to some extent, and similar money/ budget ideas. <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 11:18 AM
Mary

I spent a week in Paris this past April and had a blast. I never felt unsafe, and found people to be very friendly. I stayed at a hotel and didn't meet too many people. I considered staying at a hostel, and I think if you did you'd meet a lot of people. Loneliness was my biggest problem there. The city is very easy to get around, and it's wonderful to just walk around some of the neighborhoods. I loved the Marais district, so you should check it out. The streets are quite narrow, but it was so charming. Overall my trip was just incredible. You'll have a great time.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 11:39 AM
lori

Tammy, <BR>Go and have a good time! While I have not traveled much alone (married person) I've been to Paris many times and seen/talked with people traveling alone and they all seemed to be doing just fine. As with any large city (or even small city these days) street smarts are important. Just don't go places you do not feel comfortable about and use common sense. If you feel the urge for companionship I'd sign up for some day trips - that way you'd be with other folks and have people to chat with and eat with, etc. for the day <BR> <BR>As for meals, try the cafes in the major dept. stores - not only are they "safe" places but they are used to women alone having lunch or stopping for coffee or whatever. Otherwise I'd stick to cafes, you should not have a problem really. Even in the US people alone frequently are not accorded as good service as a couple or group - unfortunately. We've always noticed people sitting alone in cafes in Paris and no one seems to think anything of it and as I said we've visited Paris many times. <BR> <BR>Another thing, take breafast in your hotel breakfast room (in other words don't order room service!), spread out a map or guide book/brochure on your table and see if someone does not talk to you!! My husband and I always make a point of speaking with a "lone" traveler at breakfast (or any other meal if we can) and have had some really marvelous talks. On one trip in Spain we ended up going out the next day with this lone traveler who we met several times in our hotel breakfast room (gentlemen from Minneapolis as a matter of fact) as he wanted to see the Alhambra and we were going there as well. You just never know, I'd go and not worry about being "alone" -- aside from someone to share the "moment" with, you can find plenty of folks to chat with should that be a problem. Granted they may not be lasting relationships - but then again you never know!

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 12:51 PM
Nancy

Tammy: <BR>I went to Paris alone last year and had a great time. Dining was the most uncomfortable and usually got carry out and sat down at a park or in my hotel to rest, eat and write postcards. I didn't go out much past 10PM as I did so much walking and sightseeing during the day I was beat by then but thought Paris was perfectly safe. Good idea on having breakfast in your hotel's dining area, you'll get some good tips from more frequent visitors. Have a wonderful time.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 12:53 PM
elvira

Tammy: I go to Paris a lot, all by myself. My French is rusty, gets better as I use it, the French look at me like I've got two heads, I look at them like they've got two heads...we get along fine. I have spent time in U.S. big cities, so caution is second nature. Paris is not anywhere near as scary as Philadelphia or New York or Chicago, etc. I avoid the Bois de Boulogne and the metro stations in Pigalle at night (better safe than sorry, but I still have gone to the Pigalle area at night, just either walked or cabbed), but have walked along the quais in the 5th arrondissement at 1:00am and felt perfectly safe (try to say that about the Charles River or the Hudson). <BR>Paris has such great "girl" things to do: museum of fashion, decorative arts, frou-frou collections, dolls, Edith Piaf; shopping - department stores, designer salons, offprice shops for last season's designer stuff (pba: no real 'steals'), perfume, jewelry; Malmaison, the home of Josephine after Napoleon dumped her; Pere Lachaise cemetery for Heloise and Abelard, Yves Montand and Simone Signoret, Edith Piaf, Gertrude Stein; make a pilgrimage to Colette's apartment (occupied by some designer dude, but still...) and Gertrude Stein's. <BR>Or go to the Military Museum and look at the guns and armor; or the Police Museum and see gruesome photos.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 01:01 PM
sabrina

Tammy, <BR>You asked a great question! I'm headed to Paris alone in September (taking an extended Labor Day weekend) and I can't wait. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Also if anybody has 2 or 3 great recommendations for hotels in the 5th or 6th arr., pleeeeze let me know. Thanks.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 02:59 PM
Lu B.

Personally, I have been to Paris on business. Some of my time was surely spent alone after a long meeting. I felt very safe strolling the streets of Paris. Perhaps, even once, I had strolled them after a wee bit too much red with dinner. I never felt compromised. I am not certain about the Metro at night. Even my French friend in Paris will not take the Metro very late alone, just on principle. I stayed at a lovely little hotel - not fancy - very reasonable in the 4th near the Hotel de Ville, called Hotel France Louvre. About $104 for a single and not fancy, but a lovely breakfast included in a very, deep, deep cellar in the hotel. Loved it. Have fun. Ahh, Paris.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 06:19 PM
Monica

Hi Sabrina, I stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th arr, near the Odeon metro stop. Great location. For information, stop by my web page: http://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/homepage <BR>It has the information on the hotel (and restaurants in Paris).

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 06:59 PM
sabrina

Monica, <BR>Thanks! Some of the hotels I was interested in are already sold out for Labor Day weekend so I'll definitely check out your suggestion. By the way, I love your website! I'm thinking of creating one myself. Done Rome, London and South Africa already this past year. Can't wait for Paris!

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 08:02 PM
Elizabeth

Hi Tammy, <BR>I went to Paris by myself 10 years ago, but stayed with a French family that had recently been in the US. Nicole helped me get a carte orange (weekly subway pass: get a passport photo before getting in line). However, nearly all my sightseeing was on my own. There's so much to do and see in Paris that I didn't feel lonely. If you want to meet other people, you could try staying in a hostel-type place. I did that in Florence and Amsterdam and met several friendly people with whom to sightsee. I felt safe in Paris but didn't walk around much at night. <BR> <BR>Two cautions: When I was in Venice the second time, a very well-dressed and polite older man convinced me to let him show me where there were better hotels. When all of those hotels were booked, he offered to let me stay with him. I declined saying that I didn't think that was a good idea. He then very politely said that I was a very nice girl and left me wandering around Venice. I was pretty mad at myself for being so naive, especially since I had to make my way back to the train station where I stashed it, then had to look for a hotel all over again. For some reason, I trusted him because he looked so respectable. <BR> <BR>Make sure that you have the correct address and phone number for where you are staying. I was extremely tired from travelling on my first night in Paris and opted to not go out to a dinner party with my host. I went out for something to eat and got turned around. I went back to the restaurant, and the waiters (believe or not) were very kind in helping me to get to the address I had for Nicole. (It later turned out that it was her previous address; she had recently moved.) I tried to call my friend in the US for a better address, but had trouble finding a payphone. Finally, I ended up lost and crying. A Parisian at a Party took pity on me and asked her daughter to take me to her home, where I was able to make my call. Unfortunately, my friend didn't have a better address. I suggested that I wait at a police station, where they placed a call to my hostess and asked if they had a young lady staying with them. I had their phone number but Nicole wasn't home yet when I'd called earlier. It turned out that the restaurant wasn't at all far from her home, but the door was behind a non-descript store front. In my fatigue, I'd walked by it a few times without recognizing it. <BR> <BR>Other than that, traveling around for 3 1/2 weeks in 3 countries (Switzerland too)by myself was great! Just be a little extra cautious, especially if you are tired. <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 04:07 AM
suzann

Tammy, <BR>You've got the right idea! If you sit at home waiting for travel companions, you'll end up . . . sitting at home. Anyway, I began travelling to Europe on my own in 1994, and I've been a regular ever since. As Nancy says, sometimes you can feel conspicuous, but there are ways to get around that. You ought to indulge in a few great meals in good restaurants even though you are alone -- I always take a book with me or writing materials to keep me busy while waiting for my food to arrive. In Paris especially, the people parade can keep you busy and entertained for hours! One good thing to know: a single glass of champagne is "un coup de champagne." Don't be afraid to treat yourself well!! <BR>suzann

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 07:19 AM
elaine

Hi Tammy <BR>I've traveled to Paris a few times, with companions and without, and there are pluses and minuses for each way. In my opinion Paris is an easy city to get to know. The metro is simple to figure out. The museums stick to their schedules (except for strikes). It's also a great place to walk your feet off, and every five minutes you look around and see the Eiffel Tower or Sacre Coeur and marvel at where you are. I've always felt safe in Paris. Act as you would in any large busy city. Keep your wits about you, keep your totebag firmly under your arm, walk with a purpose, and you'll be fine. If you need to consult a map or guidebook, just do it in a way that your bag is still secure and you are still aware of your surroundings. <BR>I'm not trying to alarm you at all, it's just that not everyone is used to the normal precautions in a big city and sometimes that contributes to becoming a crime victim. If you already know all about that, you're ahead of the solo travel game. I am happy to say I've never been one myself, so you needn't worry. <BR>Please don't be too intimidated to eat comfortably by yourself in restaurants. <BR>The first time I did it I felt embarrassed, as if others would think I was pitiful or had no friends, but the reality is no one else is giving it any thought at all. Should a waiter try to give you an unsatisfactory table for one next to the kitchen, politely refuse it if you don't want to sit there. Prior reservations are always helpful for popular restaurants, necessary in many cases. If you don't speak French, a few common phrases learned from a tape will come in handy and help you meet friendly people. And the above suggestion about a day trip by bus, if you have time, is a good one. You can also do most day trips by yourself, but maybe this first time a bus tour wouldn't be a bad idea--you'll have people to chat with. <BR>My oft-repeated advice for someone traveling alone,is travel light. You'll have to be able to manage your bag(s) by yourself, even if it's only through the airport and into a taxi.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 06:38 AM
Linda

Tammy: <BR> <BR>I got back last weekend from a week in Paris by myself. I refused to let the fact that I was alone interfere with my enjoyment at all. By all mean take the Airport Shuttle into town from your hotel - they speak English and will drop you off at your hotel doorstep for $120FF - that way you avoid being a target as you haul your luggage around on the RER and Metro. <BR>I stayed in the 7th - a lovely quiet neighborhood just a 1/2 block off the Rue Cler at a fabulous, inexpensive 3 star hotel called the du Cadran. I dressed like the locals - neutral colors, had a scarf either around my neck or in my purse. When you're out walking around, look condident and purposeful and you'll be surprised how many people - even French citizens - ask you for directions. Several times when I hauled out my huge camera I was mistaken for a journalist, not a tourist. The only time I felt a little nervous was in the Luxembourg Gardens when I was approached by a a scruffy looking guy who poued on the smarm and the charm and eventually tried the "Your place or mine" line. Several wino-types sleeping on park benches there and also around St.Sulpice. If you're single, wear a bogus wedding band ( I wish I had. French men look at your hands.) <BR>I had no problem walking around after dark. In the summer it doesn't get dark until very late (10-ish) and I remember walking back to my hotel from the Louvre (and it's hard to avoid looking touristy with museum bags in your hands) and wasn't bothered at all. <BR>On the Metro just use common sense - if there's someone sitting near you that bothers you, just get off the train just before the doors close (wait for the horn) and catch the next one. If you're accosted and asked for money, try looking cranky and bark a few phrases in Russian! They don't know how to handle that leave you alone. <BR>I never had an unpleasant experience in a restaurant. At one Indian restaurant in the 7th I was given a long stemmed rose at the end of the meal. Try to pick out the smaller places where the locals eat - look for the little old ladies taking their dogs in with them. <BR> <BR>Relax, walk with confidence, dress conservatively and try to blend. You'll have a great time. If you need information on the Cadran, email me. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 02:14 PM
Al

You sound as if you need to be reminded that tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Tammy, I have only one word of advice for you that derives from a long, long life: go.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 03:43 PM
Lu B.

Linda: two posts prior to mine! I thoroughly enjoyed your response and suggestions. Very good advice and I even smiled as I read it. Thanks...

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:22 AM
Tammy

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!!!! I am more excited than ever about going to Paris. Even though I am not going until September 2000 and already planning my trip, trying to figure out which area to stay in and what day trips I want to take. I can't wait!!! Thanks again.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 01:41 AM
Tracy

Hi Tammy! <BR> <BR>You simply must go alone. Don't let friends or family tag along -- treat yourself with lots of coupes de champagne & a full schedule! Others would just get in your way! <BR> <BR>The 2nd week of September is one of the busiest, best times to go: la rentree, the return from holidays. Paris buzzes after being sacrificed on the altar of tourism during August. Weather will still be in the 70s. You'll be so psyched to spend half-days in whatever museum, neighborhood, or park YOU want! <BR> <BR>I can recommend the Hotel de Nice in the 4th [phone(0)1 42.78.55.29, fax(0)1 42.78.36.07], a 2-star in the Marais. It's on the rue de Rivoli but has double-glazed windows so it's quiet. The islands, Left Bank, Bastille & Marais are all eminently walkable. I know they have one small single-occupancy room, which would be ideal (it *is* small, but you're not there to sleep, eh?) -- and best of all you can do the Marais & Bastille scene 'til the wee hours. <BR> <BR>I'm so excited for you! Start planning now -- and have fun!!

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 11:28 AM
joann

Tammy: I just returned 3 weeks ago from Paris and other points within France -- it's my 4th time to spend a week in paris and I still feel that there is SO MUCH left to see! I truly love the city, and would go alone if needed, BUT let me give you possibly another insight: My first trip was with another woman, one that I had met at a business luncheon - I lived in D.C. then, she lived in NY city - I have always believed that she called everyone pleasant that she had ever met and said (as she did to me): "I'm thinking about going to Paris for a week". I too was single and had always wanted to go there, so said yes; the trip actually evolved into two weeks. We never met face to face again before leaving (lots of phone calls) and it was a GREAT trip -- if you go with family/best friends etc one can easily get their nose a bit out of joint if you REALLY want to see "X" and they don't -- my experience was that we both compromised easily: too much to see anyway, and "golly we both want to see the next thing on the list, let's go for that one instead". So my advice: just start mentioning the trip to lots of people and see if you don't come up with a companion. NOTHING wrong with being alone, but it always looks like the singles could use someone to say WOW! with at the wonderful sights.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 12:29 PM
jo

I started going to europe when i was 30 <BR>and i almost always went on my own <BR>becuase friends couldn't or wouldn't go. <BR>I did go with friends a few times and <BR>sometimes it went well and other times <BR>I wished I were alone. SO my advice is <BR>to do it. Ive been to Paris at least <BR>6 times on my own. Its so easy to get <BR>around, and people contrary to opinion <BR>are very helpful and nice. I try to speak <BR>a little french but they usually answer <BR>in English. I have met people at inexpensive <BR>restaurants where they have you share tables. One was a mexican place. Even at <BR>cafes when you are sitting practically <BR>on top one another in a row you can often <BR>start talking to someone. My only problem <BR>is the smoke hwich i hate. BUt when in <BR>Paris... Have a great time and dont miss <BR>the rodin museums and the D'orsay. I still <BR>havent been to the louvre because i prefer <BR>smaller musuems but sometime ill get there. <BR>