Search

Paris or Venice

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Jane

Paris or Venice

I'm beginning the planning stages for a trip next summer with my husband and 2 sons who will be 16 and 13. The trip is a special occasion for one of my sons and he has requested the Paris location. The alternative location is Venice. Any advice from someone who has taken teenage boys to Paris or Venice? My biggest concern (and please tell me if it is unfounded) is that Parisians are not friendly to Americans. I don't want to ruin the trip or my sons' future view of travelling in Europe. We travelled to London two years ago, and it was my boys' favorite vacation ever. I'd like to try to top that one for them. Any opinions?

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Rex

I have more-than-average experience traveling with teens - - both our own children and others' - - and I vote for Venice - - as much as I truly LOVE France and Paris (no more, no less than other parts of the country). I do NOT think that "unfriendly" French (largely a myth) is a reason to choose Italy over France. <BR> <BR>The worst day imaginable in Venice will stack up well with the best day in many other places - - and I can't explain this exactly, but I have yet to see teens like any place better than Venice. <BR> <BR>Is this a trip of a week or thereabouts? Whether you choose Italy of France, I think you can and should escape from Venice (or Paris) for 2+ days out of any trip of 6 days or more. And the options are good from either city. I can personally vouch for Bassano del Grappa and Verona, as side excursions from Venice. I also hear positive comments about Trieste and/or Goriza (though I have never been to either). <BR> <BR>I have written here before about one way to enhance a trip like this - - let them invite one or more friends (assuming they know families who can pay the way of children to accompany your two). Nothing has added more to the enjoyment of traveling with our kids, than more kids. <BR> <BR>Last of all, with a whole year to plan, I encourage you to support them in every way possible (short of becoming an outright nag) to start learning some Italian or French. Make it a family thing to try to incorporate a half-hour of educational TV a week - - remember this is not England you're going to this time! They will be more capable than you can imagine - - and of course, they will learn as much in 7 days there, as in 7 months pre-trip preparing. <BR> <BR>Feel free to write me directly - - if you wish - - for more ideas on traveling to either city (country) with teens, including the possibility of turning your plans into a trip of 10 or more (surprising savings and advantages doing it this way, in some cases). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio

Old May 17th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Robyn

I should start out by saying that I have never traveled with two teenage boys- but wanted to put in my quick 2 cents. Venice is wonderful, but be advised that it is one of the most over-toured cities in the world (even compared to Paris). So much so that they have started an ad campaign to keep tourists out (as seen recently on 60 Minutes). I have been to Paris many times (including when I was a teenager) and absolutely loved it - and the people are honestly NOT rude! Not once have I run into a rude person - that is such a myth. It's repeated on this forum constantly - just learn some phrases in the language (whether French or Italian) and that will take you a long way. But just keep in mind how crowded and 'touristy' Venice is getting. Paris is stunning and there are thousands of things to do and see. You have a lot of time to plan and will have a wonderful time no matter where you go!

Old May 17th, 2000, 10:54 AM
martha python

I'd vote for Paris, but then I'm one of the maybe 5% on this forum who failed to be charmed by Venice (it was fine, but I feel no particular urge to go back). <BR>Just wanted to echo the previous posters' comments on the friendliness of the French. Mind your manners and they'll like you fine. I recommend reading "French or Foe?" by Polly someone. Ever since I did, I get a chuckle when people here complain that they smiled and were still treated coldly (to the French, unbridled smiling is evidently viewed with suspicion--imagine how you'd feel locked in a room with Miss America contestants). <BR> <BR>I think this trip is a great idea, and I'm sure you'll have a great trip either place.

Old May 17th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Hmmmmmm. Martha, would it be during the swimsuit portion of the competition?

Old May 17th, 2000, 11:06 AM
martha python

Oh behave! <BR>I realized even as I was typing that this analogy would probably only work for Jane, and not for a couple of teenage boys (or young-at-heart bankers). <BR>Aren't they expecting you in Belgium? I've been having major meal envy....

Old May 17th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Sorry, Martha. I actually loved your analogy. I pictured the room being dark with each one holding a flashlight under their chins. Scary.

Old May 17th, 2000, 11:51 AM
howard

There is no bigger fan of Venice than I am. But, for a trip with two teenage sons, I'd recommend Paris. I think they'd find more things to do and more things of interest. <BR>Hey, but don't get me wrong, either destination's a winner!

Old May 17th, 2000, 05:17 PM
Robin

Hi Jane, <BR> <BR>Such a dilemma! Although I don't have two teenage kids, I did just return from Venice (on Monday :^) )and previously Paris. Apparently I'm in the minority here, although I liked Paris alot, my husband and I both agreed we liked London better. Maybe it was just because London was our first trip to Europe? I must say I did find the French rather cold and not particularly helpful. In addition, I couldn't stand all the cigareet smoke everywhere! Even in cafe's, I was amazed that there were people smoking cigars and cigarettes all around us!Regardless, my experience in Venice was the total opposite. I've never experienced anything like it. People are so friendly and helpful. In the 4 days we were there, I didn't run into one person who wasn't pleasant and willing to help in any way they could. I don't know how long you're planning to go but even if it's a week, I'm sure you can find day trips. <BR> <BR>Like everyone else has said, we should all have such a dilemma. I'm sure you'll enjoy either location! <BR> <BR>Robin <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 2000, 05:36 PM
MarkJ

We (my wife and I) have found Parisians are very friendly. It seems that if you just attempt to speak a little French (bad as it may be) at the beginning of a conversation or question they are more than willing to help you. If you just walk up and start speaking English they may be a little less receptive. So, since you have a year or so before your trip it might be good for the hole family to take a (or a series of) "Conversational French" or "French for Travellers" at a local community college. <BR> <BR>Where ever you decide to go have a wonderful trip!!

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:48 PM
victoria

Hi Jane, <BR>I do not know how long you will be in Europe but you could do both cities. I spent a year in Italy and when I finally got to Paris I thought I was in heaven. Eveyone was very nice to me and Parisians have impecable manners. I was also in Venice 2 and both times had a wonderful time, and I traveled alone. you might want to check out walksinsidevenice.com they have some wonderful ideas for sightseeing. For me 3 days in venice was fine and a week in Paris. <BR>Both are great!

Old May 18th, 2000, 04:30 AM
elaine

Hi Jane <BR>Venice is my favorite place, with Paris a close second, but that's for myself. <BR>With kids I'd have to vote for <BR>Paris (or London, as was suggested). <BR>Venice's charms are more atmospheric <BR>(except in the very crowded season) <BR>subtle, and grown up, not that Paris is <BR>childish. It's just that in Paris if the kids get enough of museums and historical sites, there are parks to picnic and play in, more wide-open spaces, more large stores to look for cool clothes in,even Disneyland,etc. <BR>Venice is much smaller in scale, and while Paris is crowded in the summer, Venice can be oppressively crowded in the summer I am told, and with its narrow streets could easily feel tiresome and claustrophobic with the crowds.I minded the crowds sometimes even tho I was there in the fall. Except for the boat rides, Venice in my opinion is even more about ambience than it is about sightseeing <BR>or "fun", at least for kids. <BR>I have never ever found Parisians to be unfriendly, except for the occasional impatient person that one can find anyplace. To overgeneralize, the French are not as effusive or <BR>"have a nice day" as are Americans <BR>(of which I am one) because they highly value courtesy and privacy and do not become instantly intimate with strangers. But in general when presented with a smile, politeness, and any attempt to appreciate their city and their culture, they respond in kind.

Old May 18th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Paulo

I've been to Venice when I was 10, and to Venice and Paris when I was 16. My daughters among other cities, went to Paris and Loire valley when they were 15/13 and to Venice/Verona at age 17/15. Both loved Paris and the Loire valley very much but developed a special kind of relationship with Venice/Verona (this time out they were not lodged with us in a hotel in venice ... they stayed at the youth hostel in the Giudecca island by themselves; we used to meet after breakfast and set them loose at around 6pm). <BR> <BR>In short, you'd have a winner either way. I have no idea on how your son got to the conclusion he wants to go to Paris ... I would encourage/help your son to research both cities and tell him that he'll be completely in charge, leading the family one day out in the city he chooses. This way, when he finally decides for one of the cities, he should know why! Also, like Rex, I would recommend they start learning the basics of the languages involved. My daughters did (granted that it's easier for a Portuguese speaking kid) learn just enough to be considered "trés simpat" by Parisians and "molto carine" by the Italians, even though they ended up using English for most of their communication. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 18th, 2000, 12:32 PM
lisa

I agree that it depends somewhat on how long you will be staying. Venice is great for 3-4 days, but there is definitely more to see and do in Paris, and you could even be there for 7-10 days and still not get to see and do everything you want. Plus there are so many fantastic daytrips to be had from Paris -- Versailles, the chateaux of the Loire Valley, etc. I loved both Venice and Paris, and I'm sure they'd enjoy either one, but I think I'd choose Paris.

Old May 18th, 2000, 12:55 PM
jeff

Hands-down, the choice is Paris. We took our two teen sons (now 17 and 14) last year to Paris and Venice, and they both prefered Paris. Could be those 4 years and 2 years each of French language study in school. They loved the food and the sights more in Paris. We're going to Germany, Austria and Italy this summer. Last year, they missed Florence. We'll be there in a few weeks. I would vote for Florence over Venice for teens.

Old May 18th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Jane

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. This has all been very helpful. A little more background: we are going for one week and the reason my son wanted to go to Paris is that he takes French in school and really enjoys it.

Old May 18th, 2000, 02:24 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Then by all means choose Paris. <BR> <BR>Encouraging a young American to have an interest in learning a second language is a very good thing.

Old May 18th, 2000, 06:53 PM
deborah

I have lead school tour groups to Europe four times. Paris is the best choice. The kids love the atmosphere, the recognizable setting, and the options. The subway system is so easy to use that they can go their own way for short periods of time during the day. One of the highlights when I have taken high school-aged boys to Paris has been the visit to Jim Morrison's grave in Pere Lachaise Cemetery. Believe me, his grave is the least interesting grave there, but they loved it and I loved the rest of the cemetery! <BR> <BR>