Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris or London for first trip to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Beth Y

I would say London. But it depends on how good a traveler you are and how your French is. Is this is your first international trip, I say it is just easier to go to a country that speaks your language. Once you get your "sealegs" for international travel, then head to Paris (Although I would recommend Italy or Spain over France, given a choice, but everybody has their own preferences).

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Jen

Also depends on when you are going and how much you want to spend. The language is a plus for London but the cost is a plus for Paris. I went to paris last March and had no problem with communicating and I speak no French. Either way you will have a great time.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 10:24 AM
RK

Beth: <BR> <BR>You didn't say how much time you have for your vacation - but even with a week's visit, you can see both cities. <BR>Consider purchasing your plane ticket into London, then take the Chunnel across to France and fly out of Paris (or vice versa). <BR>The cost for a flight in/out of 2 different cities is usually split between the two prices (e.g., round trip to London may cost $400 / round trip to Paris, $500 - your ticket would price out at $450).

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Kay

I have been to London 2X's and both times took the Chunnel for a quick trip to Paris lasting 4 days. Depending on what you would like to do and how much time you have in total, this may seem like a big committment. But the experience of seeing Paris is a must ; the architecture and the overall layout of the main boulevards is just beautiful and of course, if you enjoy art, the Louvre and the d'Orsay are worth the short trip. I love London too ; hoping to go back for visit #3 this Spring but do not plan to squeeze in Paris again. Having seen it on the fly 2X's I would go back only if I could spend some good days there as well other areas between Paris and the south of France. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Anthony

Beth, <BR> <BR>The things Paris excels in are food, art, beautiful little neighborhoods, Notre Dame, Paris opera, boat rides on the Seine and generally a very romantic ambience.It is also easy to visit Giverney (Monet's restored homesite) Normandy, Chartres, Versailles from Paris. I am a devoted francophile <BR> <BR>London is great for the theater,bookstores, flea markets museums,etc. Food is awful though recent reports from friends and the media note it is getting better. Ethnic restaurants are places to go.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Diane

London is easier for a first trip as people speak the same language we do (close enough) and everything is written in English. It can be an adjustment to going outside this country for the first time dealing with language, money, transportation, etc. On the other hand, if you are planning to see some of the countryside, as I always recommend, it would be easier in France as they drive on the same side of the room we do.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Diane

sorry -- I meant road.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Brian Kilgore

Rent a few movies to get a feel. Funny Face(Astaire & Hepburn) is pretty old, but the spirit'sstill thesame. Nottinghill and A Fish Named Wanda, and even 101 Dalmations (And Blow-up, with DAvid Hemmings) can give you a London fell. <BR>Paris will be more "foreign" but London is a wonderful city. <BR>I join the others with the plea that you try to get to both. <BR>Think about the hobbies orinterests that youhave, and pick the citythat best reflects these. London for literature or history that led to the establishment of the USA, or rock and roll and theatre and movies; Paris for food and fashion and romance. <BR>BAK