Search

Paris or beyond? Loire Valley? Giverny?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or beyond? Loire Valley? Giverny?

Hello,
we are a small group of 20somethings and are heading to France for 7-8 days in May. Original plan called for renting a car for 2 days and driving down to the Loire Valley or Giverny. Now, we are considering to possibly just spend the whole time in Paris. What do you guys think?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM

You could easily spend that whole time in Paris.

That being said, if you do want to see the countryside, Versailles is a good day trip that can be done by train or tour group, Reims (cathedral, champagne cellars) is another day trip that can be done by train, Chartres (cathedral) another train day trip. Giverny is also reachable by train (via Vernon).

The train system is cheap and extensive, so I'd not rent a car to do any day trips...except...the Loire, which is spread out, so having a car woull allow for easier transit between chateaux. And..there are also tours to the Loire.

The tour biggies are Cityrama and Parisvision. Both have web sites.

As part of a longer trip I did a Loire, Chartres and Giverny loop. If you haven't been to Paris before, I'd limit day trips to 1 or less.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM
ira

Hi SS,

I take it that this is your 1st visit to Paris?

If so, plan to stay in the city the whole time.

If you get bored there are many places to go for a spur-of-the-moment daytrip.

You won't need a car.

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM

Well, you could easily spend the whole time in Paris and not want for things to keep you occupied. BUT if I were a 20-something, I'd want to get a taste of the French countryside, too. So I say take two days and go for it. But don't do the Loire, because you need a car for that really, and renting a car for 2 days will cost you the same as renting a car for 3 days and you're young and don't want to waste money. Take the train to Giverny and then pick another destination you can get to easily on a train from there for a couple of nights in a small town. Check a map and www.sncf.com for options. Wish I could be more specific but am out and about today without access to my maps and train routes.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM

I would have to agree with StCirq. At that age, I would do a little more. You could even take the train to Avignon. Are you there for 8 full days? If so, I think you have the time for something else.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hmm..so I think we are deciding to spend all the nights in Paris, but I do still want to take a day trip or 2 out of the city. Versailles is a must I assume. Can I get to Chambord and Chanonceux by train?
What is there to do in Geverny besides Monet's house?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

We are arrive Wednesday and leave at 6pm the following Wednesday..so not really full 8 days I guess.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM

Form what I rememebr of Giverny, just a small little town along the river. If you want , there are tours that combine Versailles and Giverny.

I like Chenonceau, it is a top notch visual delight. I also stayed in the town at a great inn. Chambord is impressive from the outside, but I found the inside a bit empty and cold (I was on a castle hunt, so I ended up seeing a lot). If the Loire is your interest, maybe consider renting a car at CDG and doing a long day trip. I'm not sure about trains (people here have done the train + car idea for Loire, not sure for train only for Chenonceau)
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM

Look at this for something different

http://giverny.org/transpor/traction/index.htm
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM

For the Loire Valley you really need a car. But try not to rent one at CDG because from de Gaulle to the Loire is a task.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree, for the Loire Valley you need a car and more time.

For the short time you have, I recommend just a day trip to Versailles. It's very easy to do on the train and has something for everyone. The Palace is gorgeous, and the gardens and Marie Antoinette's little village are just beautiful.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM

I've visited Versailles a couple of times, but I would not call it "out in the countryside" if you do it as a day trip by train. I don't recall seeing much country (but I wasn't looking either)

With only 8 days, a full day trip to Giverny seems like not an efficient use of time unless you are a BIG Monet fan. I didn't find much interesting stuff in the immediate area besides Giverny. The Garden is a 1 hr visit max, IMO, and I've visited MUCH better gardens in other areas of France.

Also, if you visit Versailles while in Paris (it's easy), then I'm not sure what new things you would experience by going to the Loire.

Provence is so close by TGV that it's an option, and completly different from Paris. Take the TGV to Avignon, rent a car for 2 days (expensive & especially for someone under 25)and explore the small villages of the Luberon, vineyards, St Remy, Les Baux, Roman ruins etc. Weather should be nice in May. If you do this at the end of your trip, then take the TGV from Avignon directly back to the CDG airport - you'll have no problem getting there in plenty of time for your flight home. Five nights in Paris & 2 nights in Provence would provide several 20somethings with a good introduction to France.

Stu Dudley