Search

Spring Trip to England

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Trip to England

Hey everyone,
I am a 12 year old girl who has an opportunity to go to London for my 13th birthday this march. My mom and my aunt would take me, and my best friend is deciding if she will come too. I really want to go, but I also have fun and important activities that i would miss at home too. Since I have never been to London, I don't know what to expect!
What are fun things to do in London? What should i expect of this city?
PLease reply ASAP
Thanks!
kelly
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Hi! I'm marrying a man from England, so I've been lucky to go over many times! A great hotel I can recommend is the Thistle Charing Cross- it's right across from Trafalgar Square, and is walking distance to pretty much everything!

Places to go:
Don't miss the London Eye- it's this massive observation wheel on the Thames river, near Big Ben and Parliment- you get a wonderful view of all of London on this!!

Tower of London is cool, but it gets crowded, so get there early, especially if you want to see the jewels.

Walk through St. James Park to Buckingham Palace, then cut back through the park to walk through Soho and Picadilly Circus.

Covent Garden is very cool- it has all of these little stalls where artists and crafts people sell things- there are also shops and restaurants, and street performers.

Madame Toussad's Wax Museum is cool- you cannot believe how real the wax people look!

St. Paul's Cathedral

And there are tons of museums. London is a really cool place to visit. I've been there twice in March, and both times it was very nice weather- warmer than usual-- definitely go if you can, and maybe try to see a play when you're there!!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Hi Kelly, I live in Ireland, but I lived in London for many years. There is SO MUCH to do.. you'll have a great time.

(1) Go on the London Eye. (2) Take a trip on the Thames from Westminster Bridge up to Greenwich and visit the Cutty Sark ship. (3) Visit the Tower of London (4) The Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. (5 Visit Leicester Square and China Town in the evening..great buzz, take in a show in the WestEnd. (6) Check out all the shops in Regent Street, Carnaby Street etc, don't forget to visit Hamleys toy shop on Regent Street. (7) Take a bus tour around the city (The Big Bus Company). (8) Go to Shakespeares Globe theatre (9) Go on a guided ghost walk around the St Pauls area.. get to know some history at the same time ! (10) Check out the whats on guide to see if there is anything you'd like to see on at www.visitlondon.com (11) Go to Hyde Park Corner and hear people rant and rave (12) Visit Buckingham Palace, check out the guards ! (13) Go to Madam Tussauds and Planetarium (can combine tickets for London Eye and this)...

My goodness you'll have a great time.. you can contact me on [email protected] if you need any more info !.

Have a good trip !.
Belinda
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Afternoon tea at Brown's Hotel and a boat ride on the Thames river.

Have fun!

Keith
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:47 AM

A few more suggestions. Clothes shopping on The Knigs Road (sloane square), Food court in Harrods, Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the best shows and musicals in the world.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Forgot, all the big museum and gallaries have free entry. Tate Modern is great if you like modern art. There is also London zoo, planitarium and aquarium - if you like that stuff.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Kelly: What a wonderful birthday gift and opportunity to see London at such an early age! You have been given wonderful suggestions about where to go and what to see. My only advice would be not to even consider what you might miss at home when you're gone. That would be so insignificant compared to what you will see and do in London! Believe me, I was 12 once (about 100 years ago). lol
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...
London sounds like a GREAT city. I look forward to visiting.
My mom and I were thinking about going to Paris too. We would go on the EUROSTAR (i think thats what its called). In a week, is it too hectic to go to paris for 2 days, AND london? Any *reviews* on the Eurostar? Sugestions for fun things to do in Paris?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:39 PM

It is possible to see the highlights of London and Paris in a week, but it will be a pretty full on trip, but you're young and have energy on your side!

Eurostar departs from London Waterloo and goes direct to the heart of Paris, it is the quickest and fastest way to make the journey from central london.

Paris is fab - in two days you can see the main high lights - what are you particularly interested in? What kind of things do you enjoy?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

When i go on vacation I enjoy sightseeing, shopping, eating out, and just walking around!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM

You are going to just love Paris then.

My favourites in Paris were 1) Not surprisingly, going up the Eiffel Tower-I was not disappointed and it far exceeded my expectations. 2) The view from the top of Saccre-Coeur, its quite a climb, but worth it. 3) Mussee d'Orsay - which I adored, great impressionist works - and actually, I preferred to the Louvre -(you wait I will probably get strung up for saying that!) 4) The Pompidu Centre - has some of the best modern art I have seen and a funky shop from which to buy gadgets etc

Oh I could go on and on, but my final 2 favourites are Notre Dame Cathedral - it is magnificent,

and finally joining the locals at a cafe and watching the world go by, lets you undoubtably know you are in France.

I hope your trip will be one you remember for the rest of your life. Happy travels Kelly.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

i am currently reading fiction books about london and paris.. *girl in a cage* and *cecile gates of Gold* any other suggestions? (keep in mind i am twelve)
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Kelly,

I'll bet you're not reading just at 12-year-old level!

A very good book about a young English girl in France is Rumer Godden's "The Greengage Summer." For London, there are of course the great Harry Potter books, and if you're willing to settle for something a little younger I would recommend any of the Noel Streatfield books, starting with "Ballet Shoes."

You should have a wonderful trip, especially if you're at all interested in history.

I couldn't agree more about afternoon tea at Brown's Hotel. If it's full up, Fortnum and Mason does a nice one too.

Go shopping and/or browsing at Harrod's, an enormous department store that's world famous.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone on their posts!! i will read the books that "underhill" suggested and i have marked down many places i want to visit in both london and paris!