Paris on Victory Day

Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:38 AM
Heather

Paris on Victory Day

We had to plan our trip during May 8th, which is Victory Day, a national holiday. Since it falls on a Saturday is it likely that people will take off Friday and Monday? I'm wondering if all the shops,restaurants,museums etc. will be closed for the entire time? I am worries since most museums are closed either Monday or Tuesday anyway, and alot of restaurants are closed on Sundays that nothing will be open on our one available main weekend day which is that Saturday.

Mar 22nd, 1999, 10:01 AM
Monica

Heather, I am also wondering about this Holiday as my husband and I will be in Paris at that time.

I'd like to add 2 questions:

Will Fontainbleau and Versailles be open on the 8th (Saturday)?

How will the train schedules be affected?

Mar 22nd, 1999, 12:21 PM
Christina

This isn't that big a holiday. No major museum that I know of is scheduled to be closed (I know the Louvre and d'Orsay are open on that day although the Louvre does close on Ascension Day (5/13 this year). The d'Orsay only closes on New Years, Labor Day and Christmas (except for regular Monday closure). I wouldn't worry about it.

Mar 23rd, 1999, 01:33 AM
Vincent

If we French people are supposed to have more holidays than the Americans, atually it's a matter of luck : if this holiday falls on a week-end (which is the case this year for the 1st and the 8th of May), well, too bad, and we are not speaking of taking friday or Monday off "instead". I think all commercial activities will remain open ; for the museums, you'd better check individually.

Mar 23rd, 1999, 07:02 AM
Monica

Heather,

I just called the French Tourist Board in Washington, DC and asked them about the 8th. Yes it is a holiday weekend celebration, but everything will be open (museums, Fountainbleau, etc).

I'm relieved!

Monica

Mar 23rd, 1999, 07:23 AM
Heather

To: Monica
Thanks alot, I am also very relieved. I feel like I have an extra day!

Mar 23rd, 1999, 01:13 PM
Nancy

Monica, How did you get in touch with the French Tourism Board. I had some concerns re: Ascension on May 13th. I did a posting and have been reassured that most things will be open,however I have come across a few closings. Would just like to know for sure what's open so that I can have some kind of game plan. Hope you enjoy your trip!! thanks, Nancy

Mar 23rd, 1999, 01:50 PM
Monica

Hello Nancy, I called the Washington DC French tourist office (202-659-7779) and asked about May 8th. I was told that everything should be open, even Fountainbleau which is where I'm headed that day. I didn't ask about the 13th.

You mentioned that you found out some places will be closed: which places? On the 8th? 13th? Where did you get your information?

Why don't you call the D.C. office and report back here on what they tell you.

Thanks! And you have a great trip too!

Mar 24th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Nancy

Monica, I called the number to the French Tourist office to inguire as to openings/closings on both May 8th and May 13th. I was told that they are holidays and everything will be closed. When I asked for more specific info, the young lady repeated her message, that they are "holidays" and everything will be closed. I had read that the Louvre is closed on the 13th. Vincent posted on my inquiry re;Ascension (May 13) that most things are open. Can anyone double check this? I was thinking of going to Versailles, Chartres or Fountainbleau that day, But...? Thanks

Mar 26th, 1999, 01:28 PM
Don B

You should consider yourself lucky to be in Paris in May....and on Victory Day. Much like everything else in Paris, the celebration of this day is something very special. The Louvre will always be there. Having been there last year we would recommend stopping into a cafe around the Alma-Marceau Metro for a coffee and croissant in the early morning to a wonderful dual view of the Eiffel Tower and the troops in the dress uniforms.

A walk down George V will bring you to the parade route - and watching this parade is a memory you'll long cherish. Respect, courtesy and a sense of flair are attributes most Parisians have - and you'll see it on the Champs-Elysees on the 8th.

P.S. some of the smaller museums may be closed; but the rest of the City of Light is open!

Mar 27th, 1999, 05:23 PM
Monica

Well Nancy, I guess we may just have to wait until we all get to Paris to find out exactly what is open or closed! Maybe the people at the French Tourist office in NYC don't know squat!

Mar 30th, 1999, 06:53 AM
Kathy

Follow the links at this site and there is a chart of all the holidays, openings and closures.

http://www.fgtousa.org/

Search this Thread