Paris on a budget?

Apr 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Paris on a budget?

Is it even possible to find an affordable nice hotel in Paris for around $150/night? Without having to stay in a hostel or something really bad. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Yes, particularly if you are flexible on location.
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM

we recently booked at Hotel Phare (2 stars) in the 7th for our stay starting may 9th, for 79euro/night. I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I understand the area is great, and it has fairly decent reviews on trip advisor.

thier website is: http://www.hotel-royal-phare-paris.f...page_en_1.html

hope that helps, or at least gives you an idea of what to expect
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Sure, it's possible, might as well start thinking euro so more like 100/night. As others mention, do you care what part of the city you stay in? Are you willing to stay in outlying districts and 'commute' in for sight-seeing?
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Hotel Chopin has always looked interesting to me. It's 88 euro for a double and out in the 9th.
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I have a file with suggestions for hotels in Paris (6th) in this price range. The following recommendations from this forum in the past six months looked good to me

Author: ira
Date: 01/12/2008, 06:28 am

Hi A,

>We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 95E sigle w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Author: Travelnut
Date: 12/20/2007, 01:47 pm

You can try identifying acceptable 2* hotels by perusing:

www.parisby.com
www.cybevasion.com
www.venere.com

Above have photos and customer comments (also check on Tripadvisor.com)

There aren't a LOT of 2* hotels in the 6th, at least fewer in St Germain, maybe closer to Montparnasse...

The Bonaparte and Hotel du Lys are two that are favored by a couple of regular posters (the 2nd one does not have an elevator).

Author: JudyC
Date: 12/20/2007, 03:23 pm

Last month I stayed at hotel College de France twice (1 one night, one 5 nights) in 5th but close to 6th, clean and functional room, with elevator, convenient for bus/metro/restaurants/market. Please check: www.hotel-colldgedefrance.com.

Author: kenav
Date: 12/20/2007, 05:36 pm

Just got back from Prais and also stayed in Hotel College du France - great little hotel. The men at the front desk were very nice and informative. Would definitely recommend it. We paid 95 E a night for a double.

Other options in the 7th from another post
author: johnbenedict
Date: 01/07/2008, 12:56 am

Great location for first timer in Paris would be 7th arrondissement on left bank of Seine river. It is hard to get any closer to Eiffel Tower. 7th arrondissement is also neighboring Latin Quarter (6th 5th) so you’ll be close to great places to go out. Notre Dame Cathedral is also nearby. 7th arrondissement is supposed to be more expensive area than Latin Quarter but you can find two and three star properties under €100. My two favorites in that price range would be Hotel du Champs de Mars and Grand Hotel Leveque, Two star hotels under €75 with unbeatable location.

Apr 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
ira

Hi S,

Is that for a single or a dbl?

Apr 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Any of the Ibis hotels should fit your budget. I stayed at Ibis Chateau Landon Gare du Nord in August for under $100/night. It had 2 elevators, air conditioning and my room had a great view of Sacre Couer in the distance. Working class (white collar/blue collar) neighborhood that had many shops, cafes, bakeries and restaurants.

It was a 5 minute walk to Gare du Nord or Gare de L'Est where many major Metro lines/Thalys/Eurostar converge - so very easy to get to major sights in no time at all. Another Metro line was only a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

While not oozing Parisian charm, Ibis was modern, clean, quiet and a good value.
Apr 27th, 2008, 01:38 PM

We also just stayed at the Hotel College de France and it was 101 euros a night for a double. We loved the room, location and staff.
Apr 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I second the Ibis. While I have only stayed in two (Rennes and Dinan) both were great. Cleanest bathrooms (tiny in Rennes/large in Dinan) ever!

There is one down the street from our apartment in the 15th (near Metros Cambronne and La Motte Picquet) that has 85E for weekend and 105E for weekdays advertised.

I've seen them all over Paris. Based on the 2 I stayed in, I think they would be great.

Good luck.
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Yes, of course. As someone has already mentioned, the Ibis chain is a good bet, and the one near Bastille is pretty central. Look for a 2* and then check Trip Advisor.
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Have you considered renting an apartment? You can get 300-400 sq. feet apartments, in areas such as 6th or 7th (throughout Paris for that matter) at a price in your range. Try vacationinparis.com or search this board for countless other rental apartments. One perk is the fridge/cooking availability so you could have breakfasts, lunches, cold drinks, etc. to help keep costs down. We took a family of three from Iowa, hauled some of our fav. snacks, checked out the markets and grocery stores, and had plenty of food options on a budget.
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM

The Ibis would be about in your price range depending on which location in Paris you choose. It is perfectly adequate but quite basic, the French equivalent of American Motel 6 (in fact the same company that operates Ibis, Accor hotels, bought and now operates Motel 6.) Rooms are smallish but not anymore than most 1 or 2 and many 3 star hotels in Paris. Decor is functional - lots of plastic. Breakfast at Ibis is usually better than at most similarly starred Paris hotels. Staff are generally very helpful and friendly. Locations all over town - you can check www.hotelibis.com to find a room.

That said, Sunnyshine's suggestion to consider an apartment is a good one. You don't say how many are in your travel party, but there are decent studios for 1-2 within your price range. Check out www.vrbo.com or even vacation rentals on paris craigslist.
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help!! I haven't looked into any of these suggestions yet, but I will. The prices look great. We want of course to stay as central as possible for a good price.
Apr 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM

On this post it says that Hotel Leveque close to the Eifel Tower is a great location but I read on other posts that for first time visitors it's out of the way of everything. The hotels are less expensive in the Eifel Tower area and that's where I had picked to stay but after reading that it's not a good area for first time visitors I'm not sure what to do now. Is it a good or bad area to stay in?
Apr 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM

suze1~ The 7th arrondisement is a very nice areait's just a bit more quiet & residential and a bit further from the usual itinerary for first timers... Notre Dame, Louvre, etc. So I don't think you can say it's "good" or "bad" either one. Just a matter of personal preference.
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM

www.rentparis.com has some nice centrally located studio apartments
Apr 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM

hotelclementparis.com I've stayed there for years. It's in the heart of the 6th on a relatively quiet square. Happy Travels!
May 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM

We have found an excellant deal in the 11th. Prince Eugene on blvd. Voltaire. Very close to nations and nice walk to Bastille. Hotel has a/c and lift. Rates 68-75E for double. We go in July yearly usually avg 65 E nightly
May 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM

Hotel Prince Eugene looks too good to be true, great pricing. Is the area close to everything. I really want a reasonable hotel but I'm getting confused with so many choices. This hotel certainly is priced right, is it located as good as Hotel College de France, of course that one is more pricey than Prince Eugene.

Search this Thread