Paris Notes (Julie Vikmanis)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to hijack the Paris day trip thread . You asked what was on my list.

Some of the things won't be on when you are there but I'll list them anyway.

There are new exhibits opening at the Louvre, d'Orsay and Invalides, haven't been to Orangerie for several years so will make it this time. I've been wanting to do the St Martin Canal trip for awhile and we've never been to Parc Butte Chaumont. Still have never made it to La Defense . There is a brocante and jambon fair at Chatou and the vendage de Montmarte will be on when we are there. If we do do a day trip it will be to Provins. Also meeting up with several friends for a GTG evening. Almost forgot Musee de Branly, we keep passing it by and this trip will definitely get in!

The vendage sounds like a lot of fun

http://www.fetedesvendangesdemontmartre.com/
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM

I just did aday trip to Provins and it is now high on my list of possible day trips from Paris - i call it an Italian Hill Town in France -took the train - a regional train that has a flat fare so just buy a return ticket whenever you get there - no seat reservations required as on many French trains - nor even possible.

Very very modern new TER (Train Express Regional i think) that goes about hourly -the station is right near the modern lower town centre and then either a mini-bus or a steep uphill hike takes you up to the Cite Medievale (or whatever they call the really old town on top on a big hill)- fortifications at points make impressive ramparts.

I found the old town up top rather untouched in the sense of not being all gussied up as someof these type places are.

Big church up top and some remains of a tower but not a whole lot to occupy more than a few hours.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pal.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Provins - very enjoyable to walk through the upper old town with the apple orchards clinging to the side of the hill. Church is known for its rare Octogonal-sided tower, of which the interior is worth a visit as well; I remember the lovely recorded music they had playing--really beautiful.

Chantilly - we spent a whole day here and never made it to the horse show at the horse stables/chateau, for which we had combined tickets, because we just couldn't see it all in one day. So we did the main Chateau, the grounds/fountains and had a marvelous lunch in the gardens of the Hamlet. We look forward to a return trip to see the horse stables and have another great meal. Hint: take the Petit Train...wonderful ride through the forest and some of the grounds with a hop-on-hop-off set up. Well worth the cost, saves the feet for serious sightseers
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Two museums that don't make the "must see" lists, but we found very interesting are the Musee Cognacq-Jay, which is located in the Marais and houses the private collection of a husband and wife, Louise Jay, and Ernest Cognacq (who created the Samaritaine department stores). It's their collection of 18th century art, including paintings (Boucher, Tiepolo, Fragonard, Watteau, etc.), furniture, porcelains. When we went a few years ago, there was hardly anyone in the museum, so it is a nice change from the packed Louvre. It's a shame, though, that more people don't see it. It's such a personal collection and there are some really lovely pieces. On top of that, admission is free.

The other (also in the Marais) is Musee Carnavlet (better known than the Cognacq-Jay) which displays four centuries of Paris life. Madame de Sevigne lived here the last 19 years of her life. I really enjoyed the period rooms and the displays on the French Revolution, but there's something of interest for everyone.
Also, this museum has a stunning courtyard garden.

Both museums are housed in old Paris mansions.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM

If you don't eat too much jambon at the fete in Chatou, go have lunch at La Maison Fournaise, where Renoir painted "Luncheon of the Boating Party," and stroll around the Ile des Impressionistes.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

That's my plan , St Cirq.!!

Aimeep , We've been to both those museums several times/

A good site for finding various museums and websites

http://www.museums-of-paris.com