Paris Nightlife/Clubs/Jazz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some searching, and I'm not finding what I am looking for I'm looking for nightlife/clubs/jazz clubs in Paris. We are staying in the 7th, but I'm not picky about areas (so long as it's only a metro ride away...) We'd like something a bit more than sitting at a cafe, although I'm sure we'll do plenty of that. I'm looking for live music, dancing, etc., but preferably without the $20 cover charge I've read about. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Erika
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Everything is a Métro ride away in Paris.

The Seventh is about the last part of the city where you'll find nightlife, clubs, or jazz, but once you know where you want to go, the Métro will provide. Note that it stops running a bit after midnight, though.

There are famous places for jazz and nightlife (Caveau de la Huchette, Duc des Lombards, Petit Journal, Slow Club, etc.) in Paris but I assume you've already reviewed those (?).
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM

How about the Caveau des Oubliettes on rue Galande in the 5th? The street level bar is full of bizarre character with a real guillotine in the corner and turf on the floor. The cellar bar used to be a prison in the middle ages but now plays host to regular jam sessions open to anyone who happens to have an instrument with them. The jam usually starts around 10, with a group of session musicians on stage to start things off. There's no cover charge but you do have to buy a drink (prices aren't exorbitant though). When things start to liven up the atmosphere is great. It does get smoky, however. I'm not 100% sure which nights of the week they have their jam sessions however, as they have changed the schedule since the last time I went there.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:42 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "a bit more than sitting in a cafe." I'm going to assume that you mean sitting and watching the world go by.

There's not much in the 7th so stroll over to the 5th or 6th.

Try:

Le Sabot Saint-Germain 6 Rue du Sabot with jazz tues thru friday and a 22 euro menu. La Taverne de Cluny 51 rue de la Harpe also does jazz and Alacazar 62 rue Mazarine has music many nights.

You might try some Karaoke at La Taverne de Nesle 32 Rue Dauphine (6) or at Pub St. Michel 19 Quai St. Michel (5)

There's piano music at Le Who's 13 rue du Petit Pont(5) and blues at L'Authre Bistro 22 Rue des Ecoles(5).

One of my favorite places is Trois Mailletz 56 Rue Galande where there's a piano on the ground floor and various odd groups play from time to time. There's a show in the basement which is a time warp back to the days of Desi Arnez at the Club Babaloo.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:01 AM

Remember that the Metro will stop running about one pm, so make sure you're heading home.

Trying to find a taxi after that time, it's very difficult.

Blackduff