Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Museum Pass- What is the Value of Skipping Lines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just reading a response to another post regarding whether one should purchase the Museum Pass even if the admission prices of the places you plan to visit is less than the pass (worth an extra few euros just to avoid lines). Let me add that I am not asking if you should by a 3-day pass when you only plan to see 2 museuems.

My second question, (other than soliciting other people's thoughts on the perceived value of avoiding lines) is how bad are the lines at the smaller museums? In other words, are the lines only bad at the Louvre, Orsay and Pompidou or should I expect to wait a long time to get into the Rodin, Picasso etc....

Thanks in advance for replies.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Well - I buy a 3-day pass when only planning on going to 2 or 3 of the biggies. But to give you an idea - the lines to get into either the 'd Orsay and Louvre frequently are over an hour in length.

Standing out in the rain for an hour or more? -- yes the pass is worth it to me . . .
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Sometimes I buy it, other times not...another reason is if you think you might 'pop in' to a couple of unplanned museums just because you 'can' with the pass. It's a way to regulate your spending also, as long as you stick to the museums the pass covers.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Skipping the lines is worth a lot to me, as standing in line is hard on my knee and my back. Also, since we never have enough time in Paris, waiting in line is not our favorite way to spend those precious moments.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:11 PM

If it's raining, skipping the line is definitely worth it. The last time I added up the cost of what we visited and compared it to the cost of the pass and we did save money . . . not much, but a little. Skipping the lines was wonderful though. They can be forever and there is so much else to do in Paris.

Have a nice trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Another issue about Paris museums is that there can be strikes. Sometimes, it is not clear how long a museum will stay open. Don't count on the evening hours in particular if you happen to be in town during labor unrest. Having a pass made me feel a tiny bit better about being herded to the door unexpectedly. You can always come back the next day.

I agree with Travelnut...you may see more and find some unexpected delight. I think those smaller places will not have lines...but without the pass, you wouldn't even bother to stop!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:15 PM

I prefer the pass for 2 reasons. First, I do not want to spend time waiting in line in the big museums. Second, I like the flexibility of being able to go in and out on the same day and not having to pay again or wait in line again. Granted most of the smaller museums don't have long lines but again, if I get there and it is too crowded for me, I can leave and come back later. I have experienced "wait" times at the Rodin and Ste. Chapelle but nothing like the lines at D'Orsay or Louvre.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:18 PM

i do not remember lines at either the rodin or the picasso in nov 2001- the wait at the d'orsay on a sun. am was about 1/2 hr.- but since this was right after 9/11 the lines may have been lighter than the norm-
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM

The lines at Louvre and D'Orsay can be LONG! And if you plan to go there,it is worth the extra. We usually will go to the Louvre in the late part of the afternoon and have never stood in line. But then I can only manage about 90 minutes there before "Stendahl" sets in!

I can't remember ever standing in a line at the smaller museums, which are much more people friendly. Nissan de Camondo is one of my favorites along with the Jacquemart Andre.

The pass doesn't cover some special exhibitions so if there is something you particularly you want to see at another museum , stop by the day before and reserve. We wanted to see the Gauguin exhibit at the Grand Palias this past November and waited till the last day, never thinking the lines would stretch back 6 blocks!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM

So do most people buy a pass at a metro station (or wherever, in Paris), or do you buy them before your trip (from outside of Paris)?

Just curious.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM

I go to one of the smaller museums and buy the pass - because there is usually no line. It isn't validated until the first day you use, so you can buy it ahead of time. I know there are other places to get them but this has worked for me.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I buy it at the same time as metro pass or tickets...buying it in advance costs much extra...
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:24 PM

I bought mine last time at the train station at CDG when I bought my RER pass into Paris.

Like another poster mentioned, in addition to avoiding the lines, having the pass allows you to "chunk" your time at the larger museums instead of feeling like you have to stay as long as possible. I personally felt almost shell shocked the first time I went to the Louvre -- after the first couple of hours, I couldn't absorb any more because there was so much. Now, when I go, I'll be there when they open, spend an hour or so and then leave as the crowds get worse. I go back later in the afternoon or the next day for another hour or so. Someday, I might see it all.....well, probably not but then I don't think anyone can.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:52 PM

You've seen it from others but the reasons for the pass in addition to skipping the lines are as important as saving time. I did find lines very long at Ste. Chappelle, Notre Dame, Rodin, Louvre and D'Orsay. With the pass you might pop in to look at just a section or painting again or that was too crowded to see. Thinking of the Mona Lisa. With the pass you will be more likely to go to a museum that you might not put on your list. Some of those have been my favorites. I looked up the web page that has the list of museums and it made me think of my favorites and some that I would see if I could. check the list and plan your time http://www.tourpackagers.com/Partici...arisMuseum.htm

One more reason to get the pass is you can always count on a clean free potty at a museum!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:30 PM
OliveOyl

A picture being worth 1000 words, here's one we took of the line waiting to get into the Louvre. You can't put a price on by-passing that! http://pages.prodigy.net/cmcdaniel/p...%20into%20the%

We too bought ours at a metro station--no wait to get it, and in our mind, worth every cent(ime) spent.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM
OliveOyl

Sorry..try again...

http://pages.prodigy.net/cmcdaniel/p...e%20Louvre.JPG

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM

We buy ours when we purchase our Metro passes and/or RER tickets.

They are handy. When we met the 6 block long line at the Palais for the Gauguin exhibit, we got out of line, gave up and returned for a spur of the moment extra visit to the Louvre . . . visiting a lot of things we had missed on several previous trips. It was a "free" afternoon so we just wandered instead of feeling we just had to see something in particular. It was fun.

That was the day we entered the Louvre and just as we walked under the great pyramid, the loudspeakers came on announcing they were closing for security reasons. Everyone was required to leave the museum. We headed for the bathrooms hoping to use them before we got chased out the door. As it happened, by the time we met back under the pyramid, they had reopened the museum. We never did discover what the security problem was. It was an exciting day.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:46 PM

I've only been to the Louvre twice and also to the d'Orsay twice, but never stood in a line at either. But then I've never gone just as it was opening when it seems the lines are the longest. I can't do a museum all day, so prefer going around lunch (especially if I might enjoy eating in the cafe there) or just after lunch.
What time was that picture taken OliveOyl? But I also note it was a rainy day which does bring everyone into the museums.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:51 PM

The Museum Pass may be of more value to those visiting Paris for the first or second time with limited time there to visit things.

As someone who has visited Paris many times, I have never bought the Museum Pass. Last time, I had a week in Paris and went to The Louvre, Picasso and Jewish Museums during the week. I spent about 6 hours at The Louvre--the first time I had spent any significant time there because it is so huge and you cannot possibly do it in a lifetime much less in an afternoon. If you go in the entrance on the Seine River side, there is no line. The line is also shorter if you go in directly through The Louvre Metro stop. The line of epic proportions is by the pyramid entrance.

The Picasso and Jewish Musem had no lines. I recommend them both, although the Jewish Museum is better at explaining things to non-Jews than it was at educating me. I already knew most of the history of Jews in France and the religious background. The museum is modern and things are wonderfully displayed.

Of course, the Picasso Museum is wonderful but I still think that the Sammelung Bergruen (spelling?) in Berlin is the best Picasso Museum I have ever seen. That is do to the wonderful audioguide tour that really explains what Picasso was doing at different periods with his art.

I still have not seen many of the smaller museums in Paris. I find I just cannot run from museum to museum and absorb anything--nor do I want to do a madcap run through the museums. I pick a small number and visit them staying as long as I like. Since I mostly travel alone, I am not under any pressure from others to run around and try and see everything. I do suffer from "museumitis" if I spend too much time in museums.

If you are visiting in a group and people have different interests, split up and then join up again for lunch or dinner. It does prevent arguments and enables everyone to see what he deems a "must see" without getting into negotiations to keep the group together at the price of making some people unhappy.

I do agree about getting passes to special exhibits as soon as you arrive if those are a priority for you.

Whatever you do (and with or without the Museum Pass), have a blast in Paris!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

wow. I didn't expect so many responses. thanks again for the continued help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -