Paris marathon?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Wendy

Paris marathon?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris in April and have just learned that the Paris marathon is April 7. Does the marathon bring in a lot of out-of-towners? Will it likely have any impact on lodging availability/prices? Would you recommend scheduling our trip later in the month to avoid it?

I guess I'm envisioning something like the NYC marathon. The Paris race isn't that big, is it?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Christina

yes it does bring in out-of-towners, major marathons do that as people that are into that sport big time go around the world running in the bigger races, although I don't follow that sport much to know how it would affect your plans. I know Paris is just as big or bigger than the NYC one, about 30K runners. I would avoid it myself as I imagine it would affect room availability, but I haven't been there at that time. I have been there during the Tour de France and it was no problem, but that didn't involve 30K participants in addition to the spectators (besides, they weren't there the night before).

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Wendy

Thanks, Christina. I had no idea the Paris marathon is such a biggie.

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who's stayed in Paris during the marathon, who might be able to share first-hand stories.

Also, in case we can't schedule our trip around the marathon, any suggestions as to which parts of the city might be least affected by it? (I've tried accessing the marathon's official Web site, but I've been having trouble getting the English site to load, and I speak very limited French ...)

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Christina

hmmm.. hopefully someone who's been there during it can advise better. All I know is the marathon is run around the Champs-Elysees, I don't know exact route or how it varies (I think it may go over into the 16th arr a bit, maybe all the way out to Chateau de Vincennes and back, not sure). I think it's all on the Right Bank, definitely along the Seine some. Well, if it were me, I would stay in the southern part of the Left Bank to avoid it, but that's usually where I stay anyway, ha ha ha. I stay in the Montparnasse area in the 14th arr, I think that might be a good idea for you. Or, you could stay up in MOntmartre. I think they will close some of the metro stops right along its main route, they usually do during special events (like the Arc probably, some stops on line 1).

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Randall Smith

Hello,

Christina is right, the marathon is all on the right bank and extends to both major parks. You can check out the map at the following url:
http://www.parismarathon.com/marathon/2002/fr/parcours_carte.html

There is always something going on in Paris, just reserve your accomodations early.

Ciao,

rjs

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:41 PM
ilene

Don't worry at all about being in Paris during the marathon. I was there last year and it didn't even seem as if many Parisians realized that there was a marathon going on. In fact, I felt sort of bad for the runners, I saw hardly any spectators even along the last mile. I am from Boston so I am used to crowds and even getting the day off from work for the event (well Patriot's day). To get back to your question, book your hotels early. t here will be more out of towners than usual but shouldn't be a problem. If you are concerned try to stay somewhere central so you can walk around if some streets are closed off. You can always take the Metro as well.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Lily

I agree with Ilene. My husband and I were in Paris for 2 whole weeks in April '99 for our anniversary. A couple of our friends from work were also in Paris for the marathon and planned on meeting for dinner after the race. We "bumped" into the runners, but definitely did not impact anything at all that day or that week!

By the way, we will be going to Paris again this April for our anniversary. But we will be spending most of our time in Provence and just 3 days in Paris before heading home.

Enjoy your trip. I'm looking forward to ours.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 02:34 PM
MaryC

Topping for imjustagirl