Paris, Long Ago and Far Away

Apr 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Paris, Long Ago and Far Away

This is a Piece I wrote in the 70s.
It's interesting to see how fashion is always recycled
and now how popular rollar skating has become.

Happily there seems to be no one look on the streets of Paris this season. The nearst thing to a uniform are the beautiful bulky knitted sweaters(usually one of a kind) worn with jeans or narrow pants.The most popular scents are Saint LaurentTs, "Opium"and Sonia Rykiel's newly introduced "Seventh Sens." Hemlines run from kneecap to mid-calf and the pant length refreshingly ranges from just below the knee to just above the ankle.
I spotted a few baggy jeans and exagerated shoulders. these esoteric styles are left to the runways. Occassionaly you'll spy a model wearing theiry Mugler or Claude and Montana but in general the average Parisienne is chic, neat and conservative.
In the Latin Quarter, the ethnic look prevails. Everyone is wearing Indian dresses and tops or the still popular university sweatshirt. Over in Les Halles and in the cafes and restaurants that dot the Beaubourg, you'll see Paris fashion at it's best. The Forum at Les Halles is a new huge complex of boutiques-all expensive, but nothing in paris is a bargain. Luckily for me who hates high heels I was able to buy some low dressy shoes and choose from a large collection at Charles jourdan and Maud Frison. Kenzzo showed flat . heeled shoes with his clothes at his delightful new shop at 3 Place des Victoires. It's crammed with his clothes that i don't see in Boston. Lovely Victorian cotton Damask blouses and dresses cut in the same style were my favorites. There's also a basement full of markdowns. Kenzo threatens to come out with a perfume called King Kong. Two of his sidekicks helped me with my selections. Shopping for a change was really fun. Maybe we out to hire male salespeople here.
Frankly fake furs are everywhere in Paris, especially hats and scarfs. I bought a chenille one at the trendy Dorothy Bis. The one fashion note I didn't like: lots of women have colored their hair the peculiar red shade worn by Régine, initiator of the disco club. Régine is starring in the charming film Robert et Robert. If disco goes out of fashion she can turn to acting. She's exceptionally good in her role.
The "Palace "is the Studio 54 of Paris and is the best disco I've ever danced in. The special effects alone make it worth an evening. It's a grand old theater. The upper balcony is for spectators only. The stage has changing scenes and sometimes a video of previous guests at the disco. The bar on the main flooris manned by bartenders whose uniform could have come from Star Wars wardrobe. Surprisingly most of the bartenders were American. Before I left Paris I skated at the opening of the Palace's roller disco on the lower level. Sad to say it is nowhere as attractive or lively as our, SPINOFF. The rental skates were not as good. One of the nights I skated, there were more spectaters who had strayed from the dance floor than thry were skaters on the rink,
and I was one of only three women. Few skaters on the street. The sport is not as big as in Boston
Apr 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Really interesting, Mimi! I love thinking of you dancing away at the Palace disco!
Apr 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Mimi. Yes, sounds like the fashions are similar-then and now. And there are still extremes from high end fashion down to sweatshirts. I would love to read more of your older posts if you have them.
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks. I didn't save the others. One was an article I
I wrote about Rodeo Drive and the posh shops.There are several trip reports if you click on my name.
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM

Ah, so we went to the Palace together, cigale! ;-)
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Lovely, Mimi; it certainly evokes an earlier time!
Apr 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM

How about some pix of you dancing in the disco (maybe we'll see kerouac in the background)? I think perhaps the bartenders in the Star Wars outfits might have gone out of style though.
Apr 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Oh Mimi, I so enjoyed your post about being in Paris in the 70's. I wish I had a good record of our times in Italy during that decade. Your comment about Opium brought a smile to my face. My husband bought me a bottle of Opium when it was first on the market and gave me a bottle each and every Christmas. I loved it! I haven't purchased any since I lost him however, mainly due to people making negative comments about not liking the smell of perfume. Oh for the days when perfume, cigarettes and martinis were in style! Many hugs dear one and again thanks for sharing your beautiful and fun memories.
Apr 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thsnks luv. I still wear opium and have since before it srrived in the states . perfume is strange. There were a few friends who loved it on me and bought some for themselves but said it didn't smell the same on them so
I inherited their bottles.
FMT, for some reason, I can't picture keruac dancing, let alone spending the money
Apr 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM

<>

I wish there was a "like" button on this forum.
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Oh, you should have seen me when they played "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" by Sylvester around 3:30am with the lasers flashing and the smoke effects.
Apr 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM

What a super thread, cigalechanta. If I recall, you have some absolutely lyrical TRs-am going to look for them!
Apr 29th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TD