Reload this Page >

Paris "Locals" restaurants wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2000, 12:42 PM
Kevin

I would like to eat where the locals eat and not for an arm and a leg. Last time I was in Paris I was just ripped off!!!HELP

Old May 22nd, 2000, 01:11 PM
kathy

Two local restaurants we just enjoyed last week were the Marche du Champs, corner of Rue Cler and Champ du Mars in the 7th, across from our hotel. An always crowded bistro patronized by mostly locals since it is in a Paris neighborhood. Great meals, good selection and prices are reasonable. The second is a steak and fries place (that is their only menu) that is crowded all the time with many locals. Several other restaurants are on this streettoo, but this eatery is always jammed. We loved it, and my parisian cousin was surprised I knew about it. It is Entrecote on rue Marbuef(sp) - a street off Champ de Elyses. We walked back to the Eiffel Tower afterwards. Very, very good meal and a fair price. This is now our favorite. Poor spelling, I know, but the info is right on. Hope you enjoy one or the other.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 01:24 PM
elaine

Hi Kevin <BR>for other reasonably-priced suggestions, try looking in the book "Cheap Eats in Paris". <BR>It is a popular book and many of the places will have a lot of tourists in them as well as Parisians, but the book is always reliable for good descriptions (pros and cons) and reasonable (though not necessarily dirt-cheap) prices. <BR>You can also do a search on this forum under Paris restaurant for many many previous suggestions. <BR>good luck

Old May 22nd, 2000, 01:59 PM
elvira

First and foremost, get away from the tourist attractions: don't eat on the Champs Elysees or anyplace that has (as Al pointed out) all the American credit card logos; ditto any restaurant that has an English menu. Now, that doesn't mean that every restaurant that has an English menu is not good, but you asked for help in finding where the locals eat. <BR> <BR>Head for residential neighborhoods (like the northside of the butte in the 18th or the 6th, away from the river); every restaurant posts its menu so you can see what they offer, and the cost. Think about YOUR local restaurants, and translate the information to Paris: I bet your local hangout is NOT next door to Nordstrom's or FancyExpensiveChain Hotel. <BR> <BR>I've eaten in inexpensive restaurants around the city, but have no idea the names - I'm wandering, I'm hungry, I stop - have had extraordinary meals for $10...oh, and good hint, if you look in and see "suits", you know it's locals (Al suggests trying near law courts and newspaper headquarters; I'd add that anyplace where lots of workerbees spend their days - like banks, insurance companies, etc. - will have reasonably priced places to eat [they might be just cafeterias, but the food's still good]). Cafes often have light food, like sandwiches, for decent prices. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Margo

7e <BR>LE BISTROT DU 7 EME: 56 blvd. Latour-Maubourg. 7e. Traditional French. Tel: 0145519308. Visa, MC. Hrs.: Mon.-Fri. 12noon-2:30pm & 7pm-11pm & Sun dinner. Closed Sat., Sun. lunch, 1 wk. Aug. & Christmas week. Métro: Latour-Maubourg. 69F 2-course (Petit Faim) and 78F 3-course lunch menus, 98F 3-course dinner menu. House wine 1 liter–40F. The low prices at this elegant 7th arrondissement bistrot are shocking, considering the absolutely tasteful décor, clean white cloth table linens, very pleasant and professional service, not to mention the perfectly prepared traditional dishes. The menu is extensive enough, but the entrée du jour and the plat du jour changes daily. There are several seafood dishes to choose from and fish is perfectly cooked and moist. The presentation and preparations are uncomplicated, simple and lighter than most others of its genre, which is particularly refreshing. Even the house wines are incredibly reasonable and quite good quality. I don’t believe you’ll be disappointed in anyway, especially considering the price! Margo’s comments: Fabulous! I love this place. I ate here three times. English menu available. <BR>All the restaurants listed in my book were selected by Adrian Leeds, an American who lives in Paris. Adrian has compiled a list of many tried and proven restaurants in each district, including tips and advice. All restaurants are in the affordable price category (about $35 pp). If you want more comprehensive information about good quality and inexpensive Paris restaurants visit Leeds Good Value Restaurants at Web site: http://www.wfi.fr/leeds/ or e-mail Adrian Leeds at [email protected]. <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 12:11 PM
Caitlin

I will second the recommendation for the Leeds Good Value Guide to Paris Restaurants; she has many choices of many types of cuisine organized by arrondissement, and there are a lot that do not overlap with guidebooks. The places we tried that she recommends were serving locals, not tourists. (Bistrot du 7e *is* in many guides, but it was filled with locals when we went. Personally, I though it was fine but not special.) <BR> <BR>Something Margo didn't make clear is that this is not free: you order it via the web site, and it is emailed to you. It is updated regularly. I hope that if Margo's "book" is commercial, she has sought Adrian Leeds's permission!

Old May 25th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Maureen

Margo: Please, oh, please stop the advertising. It is not permitted here, others have told you this, and we'd appreciate it if you would follow the posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old May 26th, 2000, 07:01 AM
francesca

As a local who spends lots of time in restaurants, I would gently steer you away from the Cheap Eats books (even though the restaurants may be perfectly fine, you will be surrounded largely by your American brethren, not locals) and do avoid les Champs Elysees and the big chains (Bistro Romain, L'Entrecote, Pizza Pino, etc). Patricia Wells may be a better guide (at least she lives here) with places in all price ranges mentioned in her book and in her Herald-Tribune reviews. Finally, I really, really recommend the Time Out restaurant guide, available from any news stand for 30 FF. It covers all kinds of restaurants, over a hundred, so the chances of you winding up in a place with a hundred other tourists are lessened. It is reviewed every year and is written with humor and objectivity. In spite of my broken-record-like recommendations for Time Out, I DO NOT work for them! Bon app.

Old May 26th, 2000, 08:42 AM
TC

Francesca: I hate to disagree, but on our trip to Paris last November we used "Cheap Eats Paris" exclusively and only once found other Americans or tourists in the same restaurant. I think the book is marvelous. <BR>Our two favorites restaurants were ChantAirelle (www.chantairelle.com), 17, rue Laplace and Le P'tit Troquet at 28, rue de l'Exposition. Both were gastronomic stand-outs with loads of local charm.