Paris June/July - an Ambitious Itinerary

Apr 5th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Paris June/July - an Ambitious Itinerary

Hi all,
Our first two days in Paris will be as part of a 10 day tour. However we have two half days and one evening free. We then return to Paris in a couple of weeks time where we will have three solo days to explore.
Any comments or suggestions on the below draft itinerary would be very welcome!

1st Half Day - Notre Dame Day

Explore the Ile de la Cite
Walk across Pont Neuf
Visit Notre Dame and Saint Chappelle, climbing to the top of the tower
Visit to Berthillon for the famous ice cream
Lunch on the Isle St Louis and explore the streets and shops/surrounds.
On the way back to the tour hotel in 12th visit the souvenir shop Musee & Compagnie and other shops which are nearby.
We have a tour dinner that night. Being a Friday the Louvre is open until 10pm and this might be an ideal time to have a quick visit if there is enough time – maybe less crowds?

2nd Half Day

Tour drops us off at Place de la Concorde just before lunch.
Visit the Jardin Tuileries and L’Orangerie
Walk over to Angelinas to try the hot chocolate
Walk to the Pompidou Centre and explore, grabbing something quick for lunch...
Dinner and evening – maybe a good bar with live music in the marais area? Any suggestions?

Post Tour Paris Days
We are staying in the Latin Quarter at the Hotel St Jacques.

Day One - Montmartre Day
Take Metro to Montmartre and get off at Abbesses.
Visit the Park Villette
Take funicular up to Sacre Coeur – view the dome and surrounds.
Return back and walk through the Place du Terte. Resist the urge to have lunch there – check out other options on rue des Abbesses or rue Lepic (something like a baguette or crepe – quick and easy)
Make our way through the streets and explore the neighbourhood down toward Boulevarde de Clichy and walk past the Moulin Rouge and other theatres.
Walk back to the Metro at Pigalle and return to hotel.

Evening
Dinner somewhere in the Latin Quarter close to hotel. Suggestions? and then stroll up the Seine to Eiffel Tower and the Parc du Champ Mars to see tower and city by night.

Day Two - Versailles Day or Fontainebleau Castle Day (Can’t yet decide – opinions please?) These both look good although I have heard the Fontainebleau option is less crowded and very enjoyable.

Morning – go shopping along the rue de Mouffetard and pick up some lunch provisions. Take metro/RER to whichever destination is chosen.

Return to Paris. What is a good bet for a Wednesday evening in Paris? Walk up the Champs Elysee?

Last Day in Paris
Take the Metro over to the Eiffel Tower and work our way back to the hotel.
Visit Musee Rodin and walk up Q d’Orsay until Esplanade des Invalides. Walk down past Hotel des Invalides. Take metro from Varenne to Montparnasse.
Go to the top of the Tour Montparnasse to take in the view.
Lunch somewhere around Montparnasse. Perhaps at La Coupole on Bvd du Montparnasse.
Walk up Rue de Rennes to St Sulpice and then walk through the Jardin de Luxembourg.

Walk back to hotel past La Sorbonne and Pantheon.

Evening
Dinner somewhere close to hotel and early night.

We take Eurostar back to London the next morning and fly back to Australia the next evening.

Question - Will we be seeing enough Museums to justify the Museum Pass investment? Will it be valid if we purchase it on the first half (tour) and use it when we return to Paris? Or is there a time limit. I think we will invest in the caret of 10 metro tickets as well.

There are so many posters on this board passionate about Paris. I'm looking forward to your feedback and to seeing whether there are any gems we should consider adding in to this plan. Many thanks! Vanessa

Apr 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM

I like your itinerary and do not feel it's too ambitious. Your two half days are, IMHO, perfect. You'll likely be jet lagged and you should be able to keep to a leisurely pace and still accomplish your plan. The museum pass is for consecutive days so you can't break it up between your two visits. I do not think you're intending to go to enough museums to justify the pass but perhaps others will give you a different opinion. As far as suggestions for dinner in the Latin Quarter:
Brasserie Balzar - 49, rue des Ecoles. One of the "literary" cafes of Paris. Standard brasserie menu and dinner here is theater. English is spoken and the wait staff is friendly and professional. With a split of wine, E120 for two.
Le Reminet - 3, rue des Grandes-Degres. A chef owned bistro with a "foodie" menu and good value. Very good wines on special offer each night. My DH enjoyed a lovely 35 year old cognac for E14!! Word is out so lots of Americans but don't let that deter you. Right off the quay accross for Notre Dame so a nice after dinner walkabout. Dinner for two with wine E115.
Yes. I think the carnet of 10 metro tickets is the way to go.
Have you thought about skipping the day trip and staying in Paris? You would have spent a week touring France and I imagine will see some chateau's - there is just so much in Paris proper. Many people do take a half day for Versailles.
Paris is wonderful and I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute.
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:40 PM

I don't think jet lag will be an issue - aren't you starting out w/ your whirlwind visit to LOndon??

This is a more doable plan than your initial London 3-dayer.

The thing about the museum/monuments pass is it has to be used on consecutive days. So you can use it for Notre Dame's tower, Ste Chapelle and the Louvre, and 10 days later for the Rodin.
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM

sheesh - should preview!! That should be "So you can't use it for Notre Dame's tower, Ste Chapelle and the Louvre, and 10 days later for the Rodin."

Makes a big difference
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi margaretlb - thanks for the great suggestions - especially on food in the 5th.
Just to clarify on our tour we fly into London - have three days there, then are taking a ten day Kumuka tour which goes through Paris, Nice, Switzerland, Pisa, Florence and ends in Rome. Following that we have 5 days in Rome where we are getting married, then a night in Assisi, two days in Venice, then two days in Vienna and taking the overnight train back to Paris where we will have another three days before returning to London to fly back to Oz.
So we are going to be very busy which is why I'm slicing up the city itineraries in this way! So in answer to your question, the only other parts of France we'll see is Nice and Annecy. The more I read about Fontainbleau the more I think it will be the better choice for us in terms of a day trip outside Paris!
janisj - yes this is the next step after our very busy 3 days in London! Luckily for us we have the luxury of much more time in Paris!
Too bad about the Museum Pass but I'm sure it will be fine and at least without one I guess we won't feel obligated to visit everything in order to get value for money. In most cases you can pre-book tickets at the metro - is this correct? Hopefully that will help save some queuing time.
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Also - any good bar recommendations for the 4th and 5th would be great as those areas are so close to our hotel and it would be nice to get out and about a little in the evenings and see some music.