Paris Itinerary Opinions

Search

Paris Itinerary Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Itinerary Opinions

Here is our itinerary for next week in Paris. Any sugestions?

PARIS
Friday 3/12: 2:05 at airport, 4:00 to hotel
? Make dinner reservations at Atelier Maitre Albert for 7:30 or 8:00
1. Stop at tourists office under the Eiffel Tower
a. Buy museum pass ? 3 day, teachers free to museums with badge?
b. RER to Versailles, where is the station? (C5 Rive Gauche)
c. Taxi from Notre Dame to Pigalle to hotel, is it easy to get a taxi especially late at night or do metro lines 4, 8, and 12?
2. Arc de Triump: 1 hour to go up (cross at Pont Ilena) 6.10E
3. Champs Elysees
4. Place de Concorde, stop at a café for a snack if hungry
5. walk East criss-crossing bridges to Pont D?Arcole by the Hotel De Ville, go South to restaurant Atelier Maitre Albert
6. walk back, taxi, or metro line 10 on at Mabillon off at La Motte Picquet Grenelle

Saturday 3/13
? Make dinner reservations at Le Moulin a Vins for 8:00
1. Louvre 9-12:00, 7.00E, audioguides in English 4.57E, get a map at the pyramid entrance
2. Lunch at Café Very in the Tuilleres Garden, 20.00E, walk around the gardens
3. Notre Dame 3-4:00, 5.34E
4. Sainte Chappelle 4-4:30, 5.34E
5. taxi to Cimetiere de Montmartre ? Jim Morrison?s grave, or metro line 4 at Cite off at Barbes Rochechouart
6. La Basillique du Sacre Coeur 5-6:00, 2.29-3.34E
7. dinner at Le Moulin a Vins, 30.00E
8. Moulin Rouge show at 11:00
9. taxi, or metro line Pigalle line 12 get off at Concorde and get on line 8, off at La Motte Picquet Grenelle

Sunday 3/14 leave hotel at 2:00, flight leaves at 4:00
1. 8:00 Versailles via RER C5 from Rive Gauche station (50 min.)
2. 9-12:00 see the interior apartments, chappelle royale, grand apartments, galerie des glaces, apprtement de la reine, and appartement du roi, front gardens 25.00E, English audio guides are 4.57E
3. lunch at a nearby café if possible for speed 12-1:00
4. RER train 1-2:00
5. to the airport by 2:00p.m., flight leaves at 4:00

Monday 3/22, arrive at 2:10, hotel by 4:00, *reservations for dinner at Roger la Grenouille
1. Eiffel Tower 4:30 - ?
2. Museo d?Orsay if possible, closes at 6:00
3. dinner at Roger la Grenouille
4. Go to a club: Les Bilboquet Jazz Club, 8pm-2:45am, no cover, 6th arr.
Harry?s New York Piano Bar, no cover, 2nd arr.

Museum Pass ? 3 days for 45.99E
- Louvre -
- Arc
- N. Dame Tower
- N. Dame Crypt
- Sainte Chapelle
- Versaille, Eiffel Tower, and Sacre Couer included ???
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Hi Obijuan,

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for but since your heading says "opinions" here are some:

It looks like you've over planned. You're going to have to do some moving to get all this done in 3 days.

Friday 3/12, #1b. Are you asking where the Rive Gauche station is in Versailles? If so, it's about a 5 minute walk from the Chateau. Turn right out of the station and then left. If you're asking where to pickup the RER C then I'd have to know where you're coming from.

#1c. Taxis are at designated areas. Here's a web site that shows where the taxi stands are. They do wait outside Notre Dame but if it's late there may not be any there.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/podvin...xiarrt.htm#1er

Sat 3/13. Jim Morrison's grave is in Pere Lachaise cemetery - not Montmartre cemetery. You won't have time to get there and find the grave before the cemetery closes. For Montmartre, you can take the metro to either Anvers or Abesses and then either walk up the hill to the top of Montmartre or take the funicular (1 metro ticket). I would take a taxi back from the Moulin Rouge. Your hotel can give you a phone number to call or can make the arrangements for you.

Have you checked the train times from Versailles. You're cutting it mighty close if you need to get to the airport by 2:00. Don't think you'll make it.

What happened to the days between 3/13 and 3/22? Will you be back in Paris on 3/22? And you're arriving the same time you did the prior week? You will be at the Eiffel Tower at 4:30 and then see the Orsay Museum before it closes at 6:00?

This is all very confusing. Perhaps you could clarify some of your post.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
yk

Am I the only person having trouble following the itinerary?

I have trouble understanding the 1st day Mar 12. Do you plan to do all that in one day? And your plane arrives at 2:05pm? Are you flying from the US - if you are, you'd be exhausted by the time you get to your hotel.

When you ask where is the "Versailles" station, do you mean where is it to take the RER train in Paris to get to Versailles, or do you mean where is the "Versailles-Rive Gauche" station in relation to the Chateau?

On Sunday Mar 14, you might want to leave more time to get to the airport. Are you going straight from Versailles to the airport or are you going back to your hotel?

The Museum Pass does not cover Eiffel Tower, and not the "King's Chamber" at Versailles.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:23 PM

On the whole I feel the itinerary looks so busy for a short visit. Also I am very confused with your dates as you say you are leaving your hotel on Sunday the 14th to catch a 4 p.m. flight and then return on Monday the 22nd.
You arrive in the afternoon of 3/12; will you not be exhausted by then? Perhaps you can see the museum on your second day (there are combination city/museum tours). I recommend taking a half-day city tour on your 2nd day just to go to the typical tourist sights instead of spreading them out over the three days. I don't know if you can tour Versailles. It'll be difficult for your first day and you leave Sunday. You cut your airport time so close by taking up time to go sightseeing.
And I would suggest taking a taxi after the Moulin Rouge show as the area is not that great to take the metro so late.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:31 PM
yk

Wheeeeew! I'm glad I wasn't the only person who is confused!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I know I'm confused and I'm pretty sure Obijuan is confused.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
yk

Obijuan-

BTW, the Museum pass for 3 days is €36. I'm not sure where you got the price for €45,99?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Even though I'm totally confused, I'd venture to say that you've overplanned and you're overscheduled!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Obijuan,

You had better hope the "force" is with you!
This a rigorous schedule and leaves little room for R&R nor extra time for places that may catch your fancy.

D_T
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Rule one of my travel.

ASSUME YOU WILL RETURN!

I am confused, but assume that you have two layovers of a couple of days on your way to/from someplace else.

The first day has me completely confused. What is that taxir ride for?
Is someone going with you? If my traveling companion showed me this (or tried to do it me) all HECK would break loose.
I would take out about half of the plan, skip all trips outside Paris and give yourself some time to enjoy being there.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Count me confused too. Or are we to choose option 1-a, b, c, option2-a,bc,?

Whatever.. I can't imagine arriving at 2 and going to my hotel by 4 then going to Versailles!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Obijuan either a) has never ever traveled anywhere and never read a guide book and therefore has no clue how long it takes to do things, or b) is making this up to make fun of those of us who do plan itineraries.

I am a compulsive planner and cover far more territory each trip than the average tourist and even I think the itinerary Obijuan posted is ridiculous.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

I apologize to everyone. I posted the itinerary that I was going to carry as a route reminder. I will take some time to put it right and post it again. Sorry to everyone for taking your time.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Wow! I just feel as though I've read the "virtual cocaine" itinerary. I can't make any sense of this at all. Why are you stopping at the tourist office at the Eiffel Tower? You're going to Versailles after landing? Your hotel is in Pigalle?

This is SO weird I can't even manage a decent answer.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM

What's what the teacher free with badge? Is that for real or wishful thinking? I'd love to know.