Paris Itinerary - Help Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Paris in April. I want to see Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame & St. Chapelle,
Arc de Triomphe/Champs Elysees, Sacre-Coeur/Montmartre Walk, Latin Quarter and Luxembourg Garden. Can someone connect the dots so my family isn't jumping all around.
I'm not good at this and would truly appreciate help. I also want to go on Seinne Cruise/Tour.
Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM

You can pretty much ascertain the locations by checking a map. Generally you can group the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Ste. Chapelle, and the Champs Elysees together. Sacre Coeur and Montmarte are in another area while you can group the Latin Quarter and the Luxembourg Gardens are nearby to each other.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Get thee to a bookstore and buy a Streetwise Map of Paris. It will be the best 8 bucks you'll spend for this trip. Everything is on there, including metro. It's also good for stealth navigation so you won't end up looking like a pathetic lost tourist! Have fun!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Here's a nice walk. Take Metro to Arc de Triomphe. Look around, climb it...then, walk down Champs Elysee. At Place de la Concorde, take in the vistas, Eiffel Tower in distance..nice. Your are now on Rue Rivoli. You could go up to see Place de la Madeleine, walk past famous Maxim restaurant...then back to Rivoli. Can go right, into the gardens and pool of Tuileries, or perhaps keep going, take a left up to Place Vendome...here you see the Ritz, the ultra high end jewelry shops..perhaps a little walk down Rue Faubourg St Honore and the fashion shops...back to Rivoli..enjoy the ancient arcaded walkway (there is an english bookshop along here), perhaps a left turn into gardens of Palais Royale. Fomr there, go up rue de l'Opera and you come to Opera Garnier (aka Phantom of the Opera home). Very nice interior, some good cafes around it for lunch. Back to Rivoli...The Louvre is here, a quick visit? If not, pass around the east side of it, and cross the Seine to the Left Bank via the scenic and romantic Pont des Arts bridge..Walk along the street above the Seine, until you see the front of Notre Dame Cathedral on the island to your left. Cross over and visit. Once done, exit, go straight, zig a little right, and you will see the Justice building (golden gates). On your left will be a nice street cafe for a break. As you look at the front of the Justice building, turn left on the street and you will see the entrance to the St Chapelle. Once you've visited there (note there are two levels), perhaps get a ticket for an evening candlelit concert, exit and go back to Notre Dame..go around to the back of Notre Dame and cross over the tiny bridge to Ile St Louis. Very nice stores, restaurants, Berthillon world famous ice cream, views along its main street. Eat here, or cross over to the Left Bank on L'Archeveche or Tournelle bridge, and you will see many restaurants on the street above the Seine, some with views of the back of Notre Dame. This is a full day...

My quick swag at a tour. search for Degas on this site, he has some fine "tour packages" described...

Mike
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM

A good area to stay in for those interested in most of the standard sites of Paris is near the Chatelet-Les Halles Metro station.

Not only is this station near several major tourist sites (Notre-Dame, Ste-Chapelle, Louvre, Hotel de Ville, etc.), it is also one of the major Metro hubs, which will save you time by avoiding line transfers when you wish to travel to other parts of the city.