Paris Itinerary Help

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Itinerary Help

Looking for a bit of guidance here. I've read a lot of great posts here and guide books but I'm so confused planning our first trip to Paris for a week in April. We land in Paris on April 18th (sunday) at 10:00am and leave on April 25th (sunday)at 2:30pm. We would like to see all the "must see" things for the first timers in Paris. I've decided on a three day museum pass but cannot decide when to start using it as it not only covers the museums but also a lot of monuments. If I start using the pass on a Wednesday, what do I do for the first three days (i.e. Sun, Monday & Tuesday). We also plan on visiting Versailles.

I would GREATLY GREATLY appreciate all your comments and help planning an itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

PS: We are an energetic couple in our mid twenties.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM

When you arrive, I suggest you purchase the "Paris Pratique" guide (dark blue guide with complete arrondissement information, Metro, RER, bus lines, etc). You can buy them from a tobacco/newspaper shop on any corner.

Re: your museum pass, note that a lot of things in Paris are still free (for example, Notre Dame). The Conciergerie and Ste. Chappelle across the street can be purchased as a combo ticket. Is the Hotel Des Invalides (Napoleon's tomb) covered in your pass? I would suggest highlighting a specific arrondissement per day (i.e. take day 1 and see all the important things in the 1st - ND, etc), then go to the 6th and 7th arr and see things there (Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Musee Rodin, etc). Then 5th and 4th. Since you said you are an energetic couple, try walking from Arr to Arr or take the Metro when raining or too dark. I chose to stay above ground, only taking the Metro twice in the 1 1/2 weeks I was there. I got lots of exercise walking from the 7th all the way up to the 1st and back! Daily - whew! The first three days I would focus on the city of Paris and see everything you can (as outlined above) within the city limits. Perhaps you can save Versailles and other outlying areas for the weekend.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:24 AM

You could buy your pass on Sunday when you arrive. The D'Orsay is closed Monday and the Louvre closed Tuesday (nice arrangement - no conflict for the big 2!). St. Chapelle is on the pass, and if its a nice day when you arrive, the sun shines, go to the second floor chapel to be awed. You could take a boat ride that day on the Seine and get your bearings. Monday to the Louvre, a nice walk around the Tuileries; over to Notre Dame. Tuesday, then over to D'Orsay, the Eiffel, Invalides.
When your pass "runs out" then over to the Marais for the Carnavalet. Otherwise in the Maris you have the Pompidou and Picasso, I think.
Either way, check out Fodor's mini-guide Paris here. AND, remember to leave yourself LOTS of opportunities to sit in cafe's, walk around read menus to plan your lunches and dinners...etc!
Bon Voyage and Bon Chance!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi kn,

One of our contributors has planned a week's worth of walks in Paris.

Look up "Degas and Walk". Here is one of them

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34454939
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM

The first time we went to Paris, we did the 2 day hop on/hop off bus tour on our first 2 days. Great way to get an overview of the city. Here is one company that does such "tours" http://www.paris-opentour.com/en/open.htm

Also, the Batobus is a neat way to cruise the Seine, you can ride as much as you want for 2 days for 13 Euros, and if you show your Carte Orange it's 9 Euros for 2 days of unlimnted rides. The boat runs from 10am - 7 pm, great way to cuise at sunset! http://www.batobus.com/english/8escale.htm
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:54 AM

..just a suggestion which combines some of the previous..I dont think you should plan much of anything for sunday..unless you are in "the front of the bus", you will be sleep deprived jet lagged ect..you probably wont arrive in your room until noon..suggest a walk near your hotel if an interesting area, dinner and maybe a walk along the seine in the evening..I second the idea of a city bus tour...you will glance at the must sees and stop and wander at those which interest you. I would buy my pass w, th f as the 3 which are most likely to have lines are the orsay, louve and rodin..I would then plan my trip by neihbourhoods w- sat but coordinate the neighboorhoods with the museums on the pass on the w-f... some museums which you might like to visit are free(ex victor hugo) and some are not included (jacquamond-andre)...use your tuesday for a day trip..ex versaille or my favorite chantilly...have a great time and half the joy of Paris is finding your OWN must sees and your own favorite places..have a great time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
ira

Hi kn,

The Batobus is a hop on/off bus that does a loop in the Seine.

See www.batobus.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:48 PM

knaya, I suggest going to the Louvre on the late night. There are WAY less people, giving you a better opportunity to see what you want to see and not have to fight HUGE crowds doing it. Double check but last I was there I think it was open until 9:30 on Mon and Wed. We went at 5pm as all the tourists were leaving. We were ALONE with the Mona Lisa and had a wonderful time exploring the grand museum quitely with hardly anyone else. Then pick a restaurant near by for dinner and sit, drinking wine, discussing all the amazing objects you've seen! Ahhhhhh!

Since you'll want to do something on Sunday but I agree you will be TIRED it's the perfect and best time for a batuex mouche seine trip. Head down to the quay with a bottle of wine, a few plastic cups and an opener, grab a ticket and relax on the boat ride. It is also the perfect way to get a first glance at Paris and get your bearings.

I don't think the musuem pass covers the Rodin which is an amazing gem. Also I would visit Versailles on a weekday if possible to avoid some crowds.

And most important give yourself a few days or half days just to explore Paris, window shop, sit outside at cafes and people watch. These are all amazing and memorable things you can do which no pass will provide!

Enjoy!!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM

The Rodin is covered by the museum pass. Here is a list of some of what is covered; http://www.museums-of-paris.com/list-museum-pass.php
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM

"Head down to the quay with a bottle of wine, a few plastic cups and an opener.." You must have missed the thread a few weeks ago, stormygirl. Nothing short of Riedel will do.

Thank you for the post, knaya. I'm following with interest as I have similar questions for a trip a few months later.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM

Make sure you take a day, or even part of a day, to "relax". Take a stroll on the left bank through the Lux. Gardens, stop at a cafe and people watch, or grab a baguette and some cheese and find a nice spot. It's nice to "see" Paris but better to "experience" it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:08 PM

It would be easier to make suggestions if we knew which things you want to see. Take the list of things covered by the Museum Pass and make a list of what you want to see that is covered by the pass. Then make a list of what you want to see that is not covered by the pass. Then group sites by arrondissement so you don't waste a lot of time backtracking across the city, as someone else mentioned, try to do things in the same arrondissement the same day as much as possible. And leave time for sitting in a cafe and watching the people go by!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM

if you would like my chart for paris please email me at [email protected]. I make a chart with what to see in each arr., what time they are open, if there is an admission price, etc. I am very happy to share with anyone who would like it. I also have one that I did on London.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM

We are planning to do one of the Fat-tire-bike-tours. They last about 3 -4 hours and are english speaking tours. Check out their website www.fattirebiketours.com

Clea