Paris Itinerary

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 09:48 PM
Elizabeth

Paris Itinerary

Hi--
In March, I'm going to Paris on a Mom/Daughter trip. I would appreciate recommendations on the "must see" sites of Paris. So far, the sites we have identified are: the Louvre, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Cruise the Seine, Champ-Elysees, Garnier Opera (have tickets), Rodin Museum. We plan on doing a day-trip to Versailles.

Also, where is the best place to go for antique shopping in Paris?

What are the best museums to visit?

Can we do all this in a week?

Thanks so much for any and all help! Have a great day.

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 10:48 PM
lynn

Don't forget:

ST. CHAPELLE - It's near Notre Dame on Cite and would be a shame to miss. Think "the inside of a jewelled box" and you'll get an idea.

MUSEE D'ORSAY - a relatively new museum opened in 1989 (I think) with lots of various artists. More recent works than the Louvre such as Monet, Renoir, Degas, James Whistler, Van Gogh, etc. Not to mention, the building is an old train station and is very pretty.

PONT ALEXANDER III BRIDGE - I would recommend going to this bridge a little while before sunset and you'll watch the lights of the Eiffel come on in the near distance and then the lights of the ornate bridge as the sun sets. Beautiful!

And yes, you can do it all in a week.

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 02:05 PM
elaine

Hi
If you do a search here on "Paris itinerary", "Paris Top Ten", and
"Paris Must Sees" you will find many suggestions from previous postings.
Good luck.

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 02:47 PM
elaine

Just realized the topic may have been "Paris Top 10", not "Ten".
And I'll add:
If by "antiques" you mean a flea market, the Marche aux Puces (metro: Porte de Cligancourt) is open on weekends and Monday. It is very large, and it has a separate area, building really, for genuine art deco funishings.
There are many fine antique shops in the Marai (rue St. Paul)area and on the left bank around
rue du Bac and St Germain. Additionally at 2 pl due Palais-Royal is Louvre des
Antiquaires, a complex where hundreds of dealers vend rare objects.

I'm going to add a couple of my
must-sees in addition to what's mentioned above :
the Musee Marmottan is a private collection not included on the carte musee but it has a breathtaking collection of Monets and other impressionists,as well as some antique furniture. It is a small museum, not too taxing, but when I go in I smile in delight the whole time I am there. It's a pleasant 10-minute walk through a park from the metro La Muette stop.

For a great view of Paris, go to the roof
terrace of La Samaritaine department store, and best of all you can take an elevator.
By all means take a walk through the Marais area and take a few minutes to appreciate the beauty of Paris's oldest square, Place des Voges. Ditto a walk through Ile St Louis, a charming island with a great icecream shop,on the main street, called Berthillon.
enjoy.

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 04:26 PM
catherine

Don't forget Pere lachaise.It is one of my favourite things to see.I like it much better than the Champs Elysees.

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 06:37 PM
Mary

Taking a tip from elvira (12-98) Maybe we could consider Menilmontant in the 20th - where Edith Piaf and Maurice Chevalier were raised. Also Balzac's house in the 16th. Whatever we do, it'll be wonderful. Love you, Mom

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 09:47 AM
Robin

Elizabeth:

I think we may run into alot of 'Fodor's Forum' folks in Paris this spring. Maybe we should create a secret handshake? I, too, have also been cruisin' the site for info on Paris & here's a list of some of the past two weeks discussion topics. The Top 10 List sounds very helpful. I'd like to see us put together a 'Top Ten' for several other of the popular cities in Europe - Rome ? Florence? London?

Going to Paris
27 responses; most recent on 2/13/1999, 11:01 am ET

Paris Excursions
5 responses; most recent on 2/10/1999, 2:04 pm ET

Paris Excursions
9 responses; most recent on 2/10/1999, 12:12 pm ET

Best mid-priced restaurants in London and Paris?
10 responses; most recent on 2/10/1999, 9:56 am ET

Top 10 List
14 responses; most recent on 2/03/1999, 11:31 pm ET
Top 10 List
Author: laura ([email protected])
Date: 1/30/1999, 6:40 pm ET
Message: I will be traveling to Paris in mid-March and am looking for the Top 10 sites you'd reccommend. Also if you have heard anything about the hotel Beau Manoir in the 8th arrondisemont

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 06:58 AM
Daniel Lee

Hey Laura:

I will also be in Paris in mid-March! I have been speaking with my French teacher from high school to learn my French again, and she said she went last year in the Spring. She said that the weather is very fickle and can change from sunny to rainy very quickly. So I think we're gonna prepare for wet weather just in case!
She also said that many of the museums close on Tuesday, and some things close on Monday. You'll have to make sure that you work your schedule around that, or else you may have walked across the city for naught! I also heard that there is a flea market at Montmartre on Sundays, so I think we'll check that out, too. I've been hearing a lot of things about the Marais district and I'm very intrigued about it. I think, too, that buying the Carte-Musee-monuments is definitely the way to go. It pays for itself after a few admissions to any museum/monument and plus you won't have to wait in lines.
Well, good luck in Paris!

Daniel Lee

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 06:40 PM
Elizabeth

Hello Everyone!
Thanks so much to Lynn, Elaine, Catherine, Mom, Robin and Daniel for all your helpful suggestions! Robin, I'll send you a copy of our itinerary once Mom and I finish it. And let's not only create 'Top Ten' lists for Europe. I'd like to create one for New Zealand someday!

p.s. Love you Mom--see you in LESS than 3 weeks!!!

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Daniel Lee

Dear Elizabeth:

The list of places to experience in this world should be inexhaustible.

Don't let comfort tie you down!

Daniel

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 07:44 AM
Betty

In addition to all the places mentioned, we enjoyed the market street, Rue Clere. It was about a fifteen minute walk from the Eiffel Tower. We had lunch outdoors in a lively Bistro and then visited the stalls. Bought some fancy cookies for dessert and fruit and cheese for later. Some vendors spoke no English, but we got by with limited FR and lots of smiling and pointing. There were other tourists around but also lots of locals buying food. Have fun - Betty