Paris in September/October...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to Paris in 3 times, but always in the spring in summer. This year I am taking my mom for her first visit. We are going in late September, early October. I am assuming the weather will be comparable to spring, with rain possibilities and need to layer.<BR><BR>When do you think the best time to buy tickets is for this time of year? Our dates are not flexible as my mom has already had to request vacation. I see from Mpls/St. Paul on some consolidator websites that prices for the requested dates are $512-$540 + tax. Do you think I should wait a bit to purchase to see if they go down?<BR><BR>Also, my mother is not a wine drinker, which is a pity since France has so many fabulous wines. Are there any other recommended drinks that we can sample while there? It's always fun to try something new!<BR><BR>Museum Pass - this seems to be raved about on all the websites and guidebooks. The last time I was in France, we saved the museums for rainy days... paying full price to enter each. Does a three-day pass need to be used on consecutive days? I think it would be nice to spend time outdoors on nice days and in the museums when it is rainy or chilly.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Hi Americaine! I saw many Parisians drinking bottled water with their meals, so perhaps your mom might find a favorite brand! Also she might enjoy a citron, a lemonade. The museum pass must be used on consecutive days, but you probably won't spend an entire day at a museum, so you could go out while the sun is shining and visit the museum in the afternoon, or vice versa. It is also valid as a ticket to go to the top of the Arc de triomph, beautiful views on a sunny day, as well as climbing the tower of Notre Dame, so combining either of these with a day at the Louvre or D'Orsay might work out nicely for you!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Hi<BR>Lat Sept early Oct is one of my favorite times to travel. Weather may not be perfect every day, but as you know no one goes to Paris for perfect weather. You might even be pleasantly surprised with some mild or balmy days.<BR>It could also be chilly, as you might expect.<BR><BR>$540 doesn't strike me as a bad fare, especially since you will need to lock it in soon. There will always be last-minute bargains, but you can't plan this last minute.<BR>Given the international situation which could make some travelers reluctant to fly later on, it is possible the fares might go down if you wait a couple of more months to book, say mid to late spring.<BR>It's always a roll of the dice.<BR><BR>If you are considering one of the popular budget-minded hotels, it's definitely not too early to book one of those--as you probably know, some of them fill up many months in advance.<BR><BR>Your mother is not a wine drinker, as in no alcohol? If no alcohol, you can order mineral water of course, bottled or still, and there are local soft drinks like Orangina, which I'm sure you already know about. Not the thing at a serious meal.<BR><BR>If she drinks a cocktail now and again but not wine with dinner, she could order a sherry, or one of my favorites,<BR>Pineau de Charentes, a sweet aperitif.<BR>Ordering a &quot;martini&quot; can often result in a glass of sweet red vermouth (Martini is the brand name) rather than the classic cocktail English-speakers think of. There's also Pernod,etc.<BR><BR>Yes, the museum pass is for consecutive days, rain or shine or strike.<BR>The biggest advantage imo is not the savings on admissions, which I've never added up, but skipping the ticket-buying lines at the Louvre and the Orsay museums, the two &quot;biggies.&quot;<BR>If you want to stay flexible but minimize line time, try getting in line at the Orsay 30-45 minutes before opening time in the morning.<BR><BR>For the Louvre there is a line at the Pyramid entrance usually most of the day. It thins out a bit in the late afternoon. Sometimes a better entrance is via the Palais Royal metro stop, direct access from underground.<BR><BR>Lines are minimal on the various evenings when those two museums stay open late. Visit the Louvre website before you go; it will advise you which galleries are closed in the evening.<BR>It's a good resource even though I'm sure you've been there before.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Hi americaine: <BR><BR>Which consolidator offered the fare you mentioned in your e-mail? The lowest I've seen so far is $700 including taxes.<BR><BR>I, too, am planning a trip to Paris (also, coincencidentally with my mother) in Sept. so any information posted on this topic will be helpful to me, as well. It will be the first time for both of us. <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Jennie
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 01:58 PM

I too would like to know where you are seeing $500-something fares. I can't find anything for Sept-Oct that is under $1000. If I could find something for around $500, I think I'd go ahead and book now. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Re: Sept./Oct. weather in Paris, it is unpredictible as usual. We went last October and the first couple of days was really warm in the high 60's and afterwards, it became rainy and cold in the 40's! But it was great anyway!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Hello all! I want to thank you so much for your responses. I love the fact that each time I go to Paris I discover something new and exciting and have a different experience each time. You have helped with that!<BR><BR>Yes, my mother does drink alchohol, but for some reason has an aversion to wine. Even American White Zins and fruity wines displease her. Alas, there is no coaxing, so it should be fun to try some new beverages. Thanks for your recommendations!<BR><BR>I'm still thinking about the museum pass, however... These are almost for sure bets: Louvre, D'orsay, Rodin, Versailles. I am also thinking about the Pompidou (never been inside) as well as the Marmottan (sp?) and the Picasso. These all depend on how I see my mom is doing with the museums. She is not the museum-type... However, every other person that I have shown Paris who would never go to a museum at home LOVED the museums in Paris... Do you think the museum pass would be &quot;worth&quot; it if for some reason we only used it at the first 4 places? <BR><BR>I am thinking of booking the airfare soon... as I figured and was confirmed by your responses, is a toss up. I guess I figure if I have a ticket, I can book the room in advance as well.<BR><BR>As for the $512-$540 PLUS TAX RT Mpls/St Paul - Paris airfare for September/October, I found this on the following websites...<BR>www.economytravel.com<BR>www.travel hub.com<BR><BR>This forum is a great resource of low airfare websites. I suggest you do a search on &quot;airfare&quot; or &quot;airfare websites&quot; and a bunch of posts will pop up with recommendations. These two seem to have the lowest for my particular trip, however.<BR><BR>I want to thank you again for all your wonderful information. I may be posting a few more questions, so be sure to give my your expertise and/or opinion. <BR><BR>In addtion, I thought I would mention that if you are looking to go to Paris this month, there are fares for around $300 PLUS TAX from Mpls/St.Paul to Paris at www.travelocity.com. I believe the airline is Northwest. You can also go to www.nwa.com for some value fares for the month of February.<BR><BR>HAPPY TRAVELING!<BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM

just thought i'd mention that the Marmottan, a privately-run museum, is not included on the pass
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Elaine! I know that there is a website that shows which ones are covered, so I will need to check that out before I go.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:39 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Your price looks pretty good.<BR> Is your mother a teetotaler, or just doesn't like wine? A pleasant aperitif is pastis - Pernod which you mix with water.<BR> There are also French soft drinks in flavors different from the US.<BR> Have a nice trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Americaine: sounds like a wonderful trip planned, and the airfare price sounds pretty good from what I've seen (though there's a post here today about an Air France flight in the 200's, but didn't give departure point.<BR><BR>My favorite aperatifs are un Dubonnet(brand name) and un kir (white wine w/creme de cassis), however both those ressemble a sweet wine. If it is really hot, I am partial to un diabolo menthe (sprite-type soda with creme de menthe) For meals, however, I would have to agree with most French that it would be a sacrilege to imbibe anything more than wine or less than water. Your mother could do a &quot;taste test&quot; on the various French mineral waters each meal and give a report back.<BR><BR>Fall is my choice of season too. The magical lighting, turning/falling leaves...be sure to visit one of the many great parks. I've a fondness for le jardin du luxembourg, but they all are beautiful.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Don't know if you'd ever consider flying from Toronto. Air Transat has a seat sale which just started last weekend; coach is $649 and taxes (Cnd). My son and I just booked Club Transat seats return to Paris $1330 (all taxes included) for June. Check out their website: www.airtransat.com