Reload this Page >

Paris...in November?!?

Search

Paris...in November?!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Erica

Paris...in November?!?

My husband and I would like to go to Europe this year, and would you believe the only time we can go is in November? I'd love to go in April but we just don't have the time. Is it a good idea to go in November? We had a great time when we visisted London during the off-season (late Feb) and we're hoping to be successful again. We'd also like to stop in London again and perhaps visit Rome. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Amy B.

I went to Paris -- for the first time -- last Thanksgiving week, and it was lovely. Maybe it helped that the image I'd had of Paris was grey and misty...bare trees...glowing lights...cozy bistros... If you're wondering whether it's "a good idea" to go at that time, I'd say why not? The days are shorter (that's one bad thing) but there are few crowds and plenty of wonderful ways to amuse yourselves that won't require pretty weather. One attraction you won't find in April that you will if you visit in late November is Paris decorated for Christmas....

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Lori

Well, in my opinion, no time is a bad time in Paris. I was there this past November, Veteran's Day time. The weather was so-so. A little cool, you definitely should bring a heavy coat and sweaters. The part I like best was the fact that it was less crowded (if there really is such a thing) and the shoppes and streets were getting ready for the upcoming Christmas season. If November is the only time you can go, then go.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Sean

GO! My wife and I went to Paris in January (BRRRR!) several years ago. While it was not our first trip, it was just as magical as the first time. We found that the people were far friendlier- most would come up and just start blurting out french as they probably assumed we wouldn't be tourists. Better still were the uncrowded restaurants and attractions, and the food! Nothing beats a 3 hour french meal in some cozy bistro on a cold winter night....

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 12:41 PM
Lori

The very first time I ever went to Paris was at Thanksgiving time - cold, rainy, cloudy, drizzly, bare trees, no flowers, and gloomy for an entire week - but it was marvelous!!!! <BR>What I'm saying here is that the weather does not make the trip -- I've been back well over a dozen times and it is always fantastic but that first trip was terrific despite the weather. Off season is not bad because the crowds are so much less - we've been at all times of the yr. and prefer Spring, but if Nov. is when you can go - do it! You can also get a head start on your Christmas shopping if you are inclined to do so!

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 01:58 PM
catherine

I was there from Nov 2 unil Nov 15 last year. Some days were sunny in the 50's. Some were cooler and overcast in the 40's. I brought a very light weight, unlined long wool coat and underneath a mohair sweater . I also had a lightweight rain jacket that I wore when the weather was nice. The advantage was that it could be folded up small. Layers are important, because some days can be rainy and damp. If you're there more than a week bring a spare pair of shoes because you will get tired of wearing the same pair everyday. Also, some hotel rooms can be chilly. Bring old flannel p.j.s and some wool socks. I ended up using my long coat as an extra blanket. Dress warmer for the Eiffel Tower because the wind is colder when you're up. All in all, I was pleased with my selection of clothes for the trip and never really felt too cold.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 02:27 PM
kathy

My first visit to Paris was two Decembers ago. The first week in December, to be exact. It was beautiful, magical. There were absolutely no crowds. The only disappointment was that the Louvre was closed for a strike and some people told us that this was the season for strikes. I would go for it.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 06:06 PM
MarkJ

My wife and I were in Paris at the end of Oct first of Nov last year and had a wonderful time. The weather (like Catherine said) varied from high 50s and sunny to 40s and cloudy. But it was great for walking and seeing the sights. <BR> <BR>They say Paris in the spring is beautiful but Paris in the fall is "aint bad" either. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!!!! <BR> <BR>MarkJ

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Thomas

We go every winter to Paris or London for 10 days. Love every minute of it no matter the weather. We've done this for at least 10 years and are going again to Paris in December. Last year we were in London. Again, both are grand.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 12:49 PM
Andria

I went to Paris two different weekends in November in 1998. The first time, we had monsoon storms and we were wet the whole weekend. The second time, the weather was gray as usual. I love Paris no matter what the weather. Just be prepared for rain and wind. Don't expect it to be sunny and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Bob Brown

The first time I saw Paris, she was cold and grey in early April. So April is not necessarily a great time to go either. Late April maybe, but early April weather is capricious. I was there several days on that first visit, and have jokingly said that I felt of the Eiffel Tower, but never saw it. It was too foggy most of the time to see it or to see anything from it. In November, the days are shorter, so you compensate by eating longer! (How's that for logic.) I would be prepared for cold rain that time of year. If you don't get it, then you don't get wet. <BR>There are so many wonderful things to do indoors when you are in Paris that there is no way you can have a pulse and be bored. The museums are plentiful and fabulous. <BR>Don't forget the Musee Marmottan because it houses a wonderful set of Monet's paintings. And the Musee de l'Orangerie has a few works by the Impressionist masters as well. Musee d'Orsay is of course the largest and most famous of the group post 1800 art museums. The great thing about the d'Orsay it is that you can stay all day, particularly if you have lunch in that fabulous restaurant. If you do eat there, look up. The ceiling is a work of art! <BR>

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Erica

Hi all, it's Erica again. Thanks so much for all of your comments and suggestions! I had a great time sharing them w/ my hubby. And Bob, I love your logic lt <BR> <BR>I'm really looking forward to the Holiday decorations (good point Amy!) and wanted to know what annual festivals take place during mid-late November. Thanks again

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 08:26 AM
topper

For Keith.......