Search

Paris in Movies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Mike

Paris in Movies

Hello. I'm going to Paris next June (honest, just haven't booked it yet) and would love to rent a few movies/DVD's over the weekend to get me fired up. Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Amelie (sp?) was awesome...are there more movies set in Paris or the surrounding area that I could rent?

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Ira

Hi Mike<BR><BR> Charade, Pink Panther, American in Paris.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Keith

Friends (1971) with soundtrack by Elton John<BR>Bourne Identity<BR><BR>and read Hemingway's A Movable Feast.<BR><BR>Other movies:<BR>Gertrude Stein: When This You See, Remember Me 1970<BR>Waiting for the Moon (1987)<BR>American in Paris, An (1951)<BR>American Dreamer (1984)<BR>American Werewolf in Paris, An (1997)<BR>April in Paris (1952)<BR>Erotic Vampire in Paris, An (2002)<BR>Mrs. 'arris Goes to Paris (1992)<BR>Pigalle (1994)<BR>Sex &amp; Mrs. X (2000) (TV)<BR>Sun Also Rises, The (1957)<BR>&quot;Sun Also Rises, The&quot; (1984)<BR>Until September (1984)<BR><BR> Keith<BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Sue

Amelie

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Sue

Sorry, Mike, I see that you mentioned Amelie in your post.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Susan

French Kiss (part in Paris, part in southern France).

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:48 AM
mimi taylor

Frantic, The truth about Charly,Boudou saved from drowning, Le Samourai, Bob le Flambeur, Stolen, kisses, The man who loved women, Bed and Board, Rendezvous in paris, Celine and Julie go boating(one of my Favorites), Loulou, Police, Breathless, La Femme Nikita, When the cat's away, <BR>For those who don't have access to a good video shop, you can rent through the mail at 'Facets.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Paula

An old favourite of mine from about 20 years ago: &quot;Diva&quot;

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:58 AM
huh

good one, Paula. Now what's the name of the DeNiro one? Begins with an R?<BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Andre

Ronin<BR><BR>Terrible movie though <BR><BR>Andre

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 01:27 PM
jenesais

Mostly Marta

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Paris Fan

Last night on TMC, I saw the 1948 French version of Gigi. Not many Paris shots except the Eiffel Tower and the doorway of Aunt Alicia's apt at 29 Ave. Rapp.(most scenes were in an apt) The subtitles were white, so they were hard to read against white background. Still, it was interesting to see, to compare the two movies.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Caitlin

Glad someone mentioned &quot;Diva&quot; before me, one of my favorites.<BR><BR>Also, &quot;Metro,&quot; for a similarly new-wavish Paris.<BR><BR>For seriously historical Paris, &quot;Les Enfents du Paradis&quot; (&quot;Children of Paradise&quot.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Film Buff

Cailan, that was a studio set not the real Paris as were earlier films with fake background.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Maurice

Wasn't part of Ronin set in Montmartre? The rest was mainly in southern France?<BR><BR>Frantic - recognized some of the settings.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Andrew

If you can still find it in theaters, &quot;The Truth About Charlie&quot; is a recent film (a remake of &quot;Charade&quot shot in Paris. It's nothing special as a movie but I found it entertaining - largely for the scenes of Paris.<BR><BR>And I beg to differ about &quot;Ronin&quot;: I think it is a fairly routine thriller (with a great cast) except that the car chase scenes are extraordinary. A lot of &quot;Ronin&quot; was not shot in Paris, though.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 12:06 AM
Marz

How about The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:35 AM
Capo

I see that Mimi mentioned two of my favorites, Roman Polanski's thriller, Frantic, and Eric Rohmer's Rendezvous in Paris. <BR><BR>Another I'd add is Yuri Mamin's Window to Paris, a fantasy/comedy in which a group of Russian eccentrics discover that they can go to Paris from their home in St. Petersburg by leaping through a mysterious &quot;portal&quot; in their apartment window.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:40 AM
Capo

The opening scene of Ronin was filmed at the bottom of one of Montmartre's famous stairways. Around the time I first came on this board, movies set in Paris were being discussed and someone emailed me to tell me exactly where this stairway is (somewhere on the west side of Montmartre) since they had looked for and found it.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 09:23 AM
mimi taylor

Same staircase in one of my favorite films: &quot;Celine and Julie go Boating&quot;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -