Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

paris in march with daughter-apt/things to do?

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 11:25 AM
Debora

Assuming I can find an inexpensive airfare, I'm taking my daughter to Paris over springbreak (3/10 - 3/19/01). Only been there once (3 yrs. ago) & loved Quai du Voltaire. Looking for an apartment in 5th, 6th or 7th that's safe for the two of us. Close to Metro. Aside from the museums, are there any great teenage sites not to miss? Any nightlife that could include her? We're doing the catacombs & cemetary. Might go to Versailles. Sugesstions? Help? (Let's think relatively inexpensive.)

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 11:39 AM
Christina

I'm sure you will get a great airfare during March. I've posted long lists of Parisian apt agencies several times, so suggest you use the search box for "paris apartment" or something and see what you turn up (one easy one is www.parisapartment.com which is an overview of other sites). Since you stress cheap, I'd recommend PSR, however; some well-known agencies that cater to Americans willing to spend a lot are more expensive than hotels, like Chez Vous, but you can look at their selection at www.chezvous.com. www.apartmenthotel.com has Orion/Citadines facilities and they will probably have one in the area you wish, but they are modern (but might end up being as good as what you get renting an apt in the area you want which is rather expensive); charming, nice ST apt rentals are not cheap--perhaps stating your budget would help there, also. Perhaps you should say how old your daughter is, as 19 is very diff from 13, and since you ask if nightlife could include her, it sounds like she is very young (otherwise, the more likely question would be if her nightlife could include you--La Locomotive club on bd de Clichy is popular with teens, as is L'Enfer near Montparnasse tower, but don't think you want to get into that). You will get better advice if you describe your and her interests, also.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 12:21 PM
Lesli

I'm well out of my teens, but a couple of nighttime things that my mother and I enjoyed doing together in Paris recently were an evening cruise on the Seine (I prefer the Vedettes du Pont Neuf) and a ballet at the Opera Garnier. (Website for calendar: http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/saison00.html)

Other nights we just shared a lesiurely dinner and roamed the various neighborhoods, windowshopping along the way. You can always take in a movie, too - lots of films are shown V.O. "version originale", ie., in the language in which they were made (which is often English).

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 11:22 AM
debora

Thanks for the responses. My daughter is 15, loves art, drama & shopping. I have checked out the various .coms for apt. rentals but can't tell which are in a safe area. Cheap budget is no more than $100.00 (US) per night. It's going to be great!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:36 PM
Patti

Debora, I, too, am taking my 15 year old daughter to Paris for spring break. We went three years ago and did what I thought to be the "must sees". This time she asked if we could "just kick it in Paris", what I took to mean "please Mom, no specific plans." She also loves art, drama and shopping. At this time (tentative because I'm contantly researching), we plan on staying at Hotel Europe Saint-Severin in the Latin Quarter. (I'd be interested in a post from anyone who has stayed there recently.) Anyway, feel free to email me and I'll fill you in on our last trip and answer any questions that I may have some insight to. Patti

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 08:12 PM
Sally

My daughter and I went to Paris last May and had a wonderful time. We stayed at Hotel Valadon in the 7th -one street away from the wonderful market street Rue Cler- see Rick Steves.We felt perfectly safe there, even walking back and forth to the Eiffel Tower at night which we really enjoyed doing. It was a nice quiet hotel for under $100 per night. It's several blocks away from the Eiffel Tower and very close to a Metro stop.
One thing that we really enjoyed was going to Giverny. Also try to take her to the ballet at the old Opera - it is perfectly beautiful!
We also took the train to Amboise- two hours- in the Loire Valley and spent two nights in a very pleasant inexpensive bed and breakfast there.Then we rented a car for a day to go see nearby chateaus. My daughter and I loved the chateau Chenonceau. We also went to Chartres and spent a night there.