Reload this Page >

Paris in July - To have or have not AC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Alice

I understand Paris is tolerable in July if you have a window open, but what if you happen to get a room that overlooks a really noisy area? Is it tolerable to sleep if you have to close the windows? Should I or should I not get a hotel that has air conditioning? (From my research most DO NOT have air.) <BR> <BR>Thanks for the assist. Alice

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Robin

You already hit on the big concern-- noise. Even if opening a window would be perfectly comfortable, think about how well you tolerate street noise. Personally, I'd go for the air conditioning, but I'm sensitive. If your budget is important, and you think ear plugs might be okay you can probably get by. <BR> <BR>Incidentally, maybe others will have a better feel for this, but I don't think the weather is really the question. The problem comes up IF you happen to get a hot spell, how do you make yourself comfortable.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Barb

We were in Paris last June during a heat wave with no airconditioning in a top floor room that seemed to contain heat so opening the window did not go except that it allowed thousands of tiny flying bugs in to cover our pillows. Lovely. Even at 2:00am it was probably over 85 degrees in our room. I know that the heat wave was very unusual, but I don't handle heat well so I will never get a room without air again unless it is the middle of winter.Ironically, we then went south where I expected it to be even hotter and had booked hotels with pools, but it was quite chilly and we needed our jackets and umbrellas.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Christina

I don't like AC and so don't get it in Paris in July, but I agree if there is a heat wave and you have a room in a noisy area, you cannot sleep too well. Also, usually I am sleeping alone so I think it can get more uncomfortable with two in a bed in the heat. I know the hotel I stay in well re location etc so they always give me exactly what I want and I can control noisiness etc that way, but if you don't have that control, you might want AC. I stayed in a hotel rm in London once that was high up and had that same bug problem, but that's a hotel style variable also--a certain style French hotel will have those really neat metal French louver shutters that you can close but they still let the breeze thru the slats and will keep bugs out and light out (those are the greatest French invention ever), those are what I use, but most hotels probably won't have those. I think you will always have AC in a 4star hotel and at least half the more expensive 3 stars in the main tourist areas in Paris seem to have it nowadays (ie, 6th arr). Two-stars rarely do, if that's your budget that will explain it--some 2-star hotels that I *think* do: Hotel Muguet, Residence Monge, Hotel Bonaparte, Hotel Clement, Hotel Turenne. Some cheaper 3 stars that do: Caron de Beaumarchais, Abbatial St Germain, Jardin de Cluny (used to be only some rms, check), les Deux Continents (some rms), le Regent, le St-Gregoire (some rms), H Jardins d'Eiffel, Agora St-Germain, H Jardins du Luxembourg, H la Bourdonnais, Hotel Place du Louvre, Hotel des Marronniers, Hotel la Tour Notre Dame, Hotel Dacia Luxembourg, Grand Hotel St Michel.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Paulo

We had an appartment in July with no a/c. Street outside was very quite after 10pm but opening the windows didn't make any difference. The air was completely still. We survived ... barely! <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Bob Brown

I have tried hotels in Paris in September with and without AC. I want it. It makes the room more comfortable and quieter. <BR>If you don't rest well, how can you enjoy Paris?? I am not there to tough it out; I am there to enjoy myself. <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Patrick

I'm from Florida and I know heat and humidity. I wouldn't even think of renting a hotel room in Paris in July without air conditioning. And I can't imagine a neighborhood in Paris without deliveries and garbage trucks in the very wee hours of the morning. No thanks, I'll keep my windows closed (double glazed, hopefully to keep out all sound) and the AC on.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Fred

If possible, get A/C. You MAY not need it but if you do, you'll bless it. Be advised that: <BR>1- Hotels listed as having A/C may only have some rooms with A/C, not all. You’ll have to specify A/C room when you make the reservation. <BR>2- Hotels with A/C may not turn it on, or if they do it may not be great A/C, or they may turn it on during the day and turn it off at night (don’t ask -I don’t know). <BR>Just want you to know. <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:44 AM
StCirq

I'm in Paris almost every July and I wouldn't say it's "intolerable without AC" - the weather can range from furnace-like to chilly and rainy, but it's never as bad as it is here in my home near Washington, DC. These days I usually stay in a hotel with AC, but in past years when I wasn't in hotels with AC I always asked for an interior room, usually oerlooking a courtyard. There, it's possible to keep the windows open all night without being blasted by street noise.