Paris in July..coat??

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Suse

Paris in July..coat??

I will be in Paris in July. What is the weather generally like then? What type of coat will I need to pack, if any?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Claire

We were in Paris last July. We both wore our sweaters and coats all the time. We were surprised at the cool temperatures!

I'd take a light jacket and a sweater just in case.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:16 AM
louise

Hi Susie-

It can really vary, obviously. When I was there last June it was at least 80 degrees every day! My recommendation to you is to go to weather.com in the couple of days before you leave and check the 10 day forecast. Then you can pack accordingly. In general though, you would be wise to bring at least 1 sweater and a lightweight trench coat or similar sort of thing. And an umbrella of course! But seriously, check the forecast. We DIDN'T and ended up lugging around clothes we never wore, and even had to buy a couple of cooler items so we wouldn't sweat to death!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:15 AM
xxx

Good advice,
check weather.com..we were there in late October and only wore sweaters, the coats never left the suitcase!And I live in a very hot climate and feel the cold fast!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:25 AM
elvira

Paris is sort of like DC for climate - so a light coat (like a blazer) and a sweater (a cotton or light wool cardigan) would work for the usual weather; bring an umbrella.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:13 PM
Weather Gal

I never think of being cool in DC in July. Not from there, but close enough. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:22 PM
KT

I'm with Weather Gal -- DC is more like a steambath in hell in the summer. Lived there, done that, sweated right through the t-shirt. Paris is a "continental" climate, so it can get hot (or cool) in summer, but it can't compare with the unmitigated swamplike misery of DC.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Christina

hey, I was there last July, also, and it was freezing! And wet. That was unusual, though. I live in DC and the Paris climate is very similar to ours in temps EXCEPT for summer (thank goodness). Which is usually why I leave DC for Paris in July, actually. If you have room, take a lightweight raincoat, as well as a sweater or so. Last summer was odd, I heard it was really hot in Paris at the end of June, early July, so then I get there about July 12th and it turns miserable and cold for the next couple of weeks. My friends told me they were ready to pack up and leave it was so hot in June which didn't make me feel any warmer. Then, it got hot again in August after I left, I heard.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:43 PM
Sue

I think the reality is that unless you live along equator or Arctic Circle, there are great variations possible for any given time, that still fall within the norm (or not!) It was 70 in Pgh. last Fri.;today it did not get up to 32. Both are extreme for late March. As someone said, you just need to check weather day or so before you leave to get some idea of what it will be like.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:00 PM
frenchy

the best thing about Paris in July is that the French all leave town. That alone brings the temps down a few degrees.