Reload this Page >

Paris in July and August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 03:57 PM
Dianne

My family and I plan to go to Paris at the end of July because it is the most convient for us. However, we have heard that all the Parisians leave around that time and there are nothing but tourists there. Has anyone been there in July, and how did you like it? We were going in August. Is July better? Were the lines too long at the tourist spots? Also, our hotel does not have air conditioning. Do you think we will be cool enough?

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 04:14 PM
anne

I've been in both July and August. Paris is large enough to handle the big tourist traffic well, and there are still Parisians around even in August, although, yes, many do leave town that month. There will always be lines at the major museums, the Eiffel Tower, etc. in the summer months, but it's still do-able. There have been previous posts about the best time to go to the Louvre, etc., so if you could plan your time around that, you could do other things, like a Seine boat ride, a smaller museum, shop, see the city from the Samaritaine dept. store observation roof...there are unending wonderful things to do, crowds or not. <BR>We didn't have a/c either trip, and didn't need it. But the weather varies tremendously, and friends have told us of Julys that were too hot to sleep.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 09:26 PM
gregsec

We been to Paris in July in 1998 and 1999. We were glad we had A/C both times. But... it depends on what you are used to. If you can stand East coast in July without A/C, it is not much worse than that. We live in the West coast now and no longer used to that much humidity. Whether you can leave the window open at night has to do with where the hotel is located. You might not be able to stand the traffic noise, it is a busy city.

Old May 1st, 2000, 07:24 AM
elvira

My usual trips to Paris are late winter and early fall, but was there in July during Bastille Day. <BR> <BR>Yes, it is crowded. Our hotel had a/c, but we didn't need it. Yes, the lines are horrific at every tourist site. Yes, many small shops and restaurants are closed because the Parisians go on vacation. <BR> <BR>Never fear, Paris is always wonderful, and here are a few things to make life easier: <BR> <BR>1) Get a Carte de Musee. This allows you to enter the museums without standing in line to buy tickets; in addition, there is usually a separate entrance for pass holders. <BR> <BR>2) Get to the Louvre BEFORE it opens so that you're one of the first in. Go visit the biggies, Mona, Venus, Nike, then visit the other galleries (if you visit the Louvre website, you can see what's where and plan an 'itinerary'). The tourist busloads start arriving about 10:30, but by that time you're safely ensconced in Greek Antiquities. Ditto Versailles. <BR> <BR>3) Plan to stand in line at the Eiffel Tower. Go at night, it's less crowded (not by much, mind you) and the view is spectacular. If queueing up for hours doesn't thrill you, then try the Montparnasse tower or the view from the steps of Sacre Coeur. <BR> <BR>4) Take a Seine or canal boat cruise; there are a couple of different companies that do this. <BR> <BR>5) Good time to visit the Catacombs and the Sewers. <BR> <BR>6) Cemeteries (Montmartre, Montparnasse, Pere LaChaise) offer a quiet, cool retreat; you can buy a map of Pere Lachaise; not sure about the other two. There's a book "Permanent Parisians" which gives you the locations of the famous dead. <BR> <BR>7) There are neighborhoods that are not so touristy if you want a break: the 16th - it has the Marmottan, the Asian Arts Museum, Balzac's house and the le Corbusier Fondation, plus interesting architecture and very chic shops; the 20th - it has Pere Lachaise & Edith Piaf Museum, African and Arabic neighborhoods (and food!) and a couple of "villas", which are enclosed communities (Jules et Jim was filmed in one of them); the 14th, with the viaduct converted to artisan shops and studios. <BR> <BR>8) The Metro can be hot and yucky, but then, so are the buses. If you avoid rush hours and walk instead, you'll be happier. If you can't avoid either, then be prepared and don't kvetch. <BR> <BR>9) Take refuge in the parks and any green spot you can find (near a fountain makes it even better). <BR> <BR>10) Buy either a metro pass or carnets and avoid the lines to buy individual tickets (you can buy the carnets in machines).

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:37 AM
steve

Hi, we went last year in late July. It was HOT!! The good thing about visiting at that time was there was very little queuing. I hope you like to sleep with your windows open and with loads of traffic noise!! No air conditioning!! <BR> <BR>The wheel near the Louvre was great at night. You get a great view and it costs pennis. Another experience we enjoyed was that restaurant that a couple of actors own. Can't think what it's called but the aircon is great so is the service. It's on the Champs. Stilonne and another tough guy own it plus loads around the globe. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a good time.

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:49 AM
Steve

Sorry, that should be "pennies" Ouch!!

Old May 4th, 2000, 02:58 PM
Dianne

Thanks to all of you for the great info and sightseeing tips! I will just hope that Paris doesn't have a heat wave like London did one time when I stayed there. I'll make sure I stay in a quiet room so I can open the window if necessary.

Old May 5th, 2000, 08:54 AM
michele

Dianne, <BR> <BR>Elvira's advice is excellent; I would also recommend a city bus tour. The busses are air-conditined and you get a good feel for the layout of the city. <BR> <BR>Personally, I went to Paris in August ( it was my fifth visit to Paris and the first in August) a few years ago and could not wait to leave. It was horribly humid and crowded and many of the smaller shops and restaurants were closed.If you could possibly go at another time of year, I would. Also, AC <BR>at night, and I usually dislike air conditioning, is a real treat. You may not need it, but if you do you'll be glad it's there.Another tip: if you find Paris too hot or too crowded try a day trip to lovely, interesting, and cool Normandy. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 09:23 AM
elaine

Dianne <BR>In addition to the excellent suggestions above, if you have any interest in looking at my Paris sightseeing notes, please feel free to email me