Search

Paris in August, favorite hotel doesn't have AC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in August, favorite hotel doesn't have AC

Hello

I just figured out that the only months I haven't spent time in Paris are the months of March, August, and November. And that may change soon in regards to August!

Working on rounding out a work-trip to Zurich with some personal time in Paris.

My favorite hotel, in my favorite 'hood to stay in Paris, does not have AC. I looked at the temps for this week and while it's hot during the day the evenings look they get down to the mid 60s. Not sure if August would be similar in that regard.

I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively mild the weather was during various June and July trips, although maybe we were lucky. I know it can get quite hot in summer.

This would be a short visit and while I can certainly find another hotel or just chuck it all and stay in another location entirely, I don't want to choose another neighborhood and I do like this hotel a lot. I figured out my favorite room and usually ask for it. That said, I would like to be able to sleep at night, too.

How humid can it get (the big determiner, really) and would you chance it? Or start looking for a hotel with AC? Incidentally I checked the prices and it's much cheaper in August than any other time I've stayed there.

Thanks for any thoughts. I realize predicting actual weather is a crapshoot even a week out, but I'm curious for anecdotes including if anyone has spent significant amounts of time in summer, there, without AC.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beth, I am in Paris now. Temps have been between 28-31 degrees. I am very grateful for the air-conditioning in the hotel at night.

I have been in Paris in August on business a few times, and it was hot and humid and unpleasant. I think you should consider air-conditioning.

As you said, difficult to predict what will happen in August, but in general, you should consider why the Parisians escape to the country.

regards Ger
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 12:41 PM

Flygirl: I am not particularly sensitive to 'hot and humid' (WDC/Baltimore area girl) but my own experience of Paris in August - during a hot spell one year - led me to to be certain thereafter to choose a hotel with AC. Last year, in latish July, I wanted to stay in Jeanne d'Arc, but was so glad that I changed to Jules ey Jim with Air Conditioning. So I agree with Ger. Enjoy your stay in Paris.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Beth, I agree with the others. Can you book a hotel with AC that doesn't have a penalty for cancelling and decide
the week before after checking the weather? You've mentioned your trip will be split (weekends in Paris and week spent working in Zurich) Perhaps see how it goes the first weekend. If you are not comfortable, go with AC second weekend.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 01:26 PM

Why doesn't that hotel have AC or any hotel in Paris without it? What kind of hotel is it - some old building?

August prices for sme hotels at least are off-peak for some reason -maybe few French coming then but heading to seaside. August IME is a great time to be in Paris - car traffic down a lot and air cleaner - Paris at times last year rivalled Beijing in pollution levels- just for a few days but.

Last edited by PalenQ; Jun 30th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am chiming in from Paris where it was 90 degrees today. I would NEVER book any hotel here that didn't have A/C especially in the summer and it could never BE my favorite, either. Sorry, but there is a reason a lot of hotels here have A/C but to each their own.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Seems like 'canicule' or heat waves I believe are much more common - as said before I spent about 15 Augusts in Paris area in 70s and 80s and rare the temps rose to 80 F - remember one time it got into 90s and all cancdy bars in train station carts were melting.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I need AC. I cannot sleep if it is too hot or humid. I will be exhausted the next day and worthless.... Too much money, energy, and happiness lost for an expensive vacation.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PalenQ

August prices for sme hotels at least are off-peak for some reason -maybe few French coming then but heading to seaside. August IME is a great time to be in Paris - car traffic down a lot and air cleaner - Paris at times last year rivalled Beijing in pollution levels- just for a few days but.
February and August are the two months for the lowest hotel rates in Paris. The business hotels have the very best rates, because there are almost no businessmen then.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 09:40 PM

Get the air conditioning! We have needed it in Paris in June and September. 90+ Fahrenheit and humid.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 02:13 AM

When will you be there, flygirl?

We're going for 6 days in August, staying at the Hôtel Alhambra, definitely got AC! Got the 2 for 1 SNCF fares on the TGV from Bordeaux, too. Great time to go to Paris.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone

You're convincing me. I will look for AC and I'm also thinking of a new hood, why not? Maybe the other side of the Marais, or Palais Royal or Rue Montorgueil.

I always think future me will be OK with things that today me just would not like at all. lol

Judy that is a good idea, too. Hang on and wait to see if there a cool snap.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

I found Turenne le Marais which is near Place des Vosges.

I am thinking of Terrass Hotel which is near Montmartre cemetery.

Finally, Relais des Halles which is near Rue Montorgueil, also an area I like to wander.

I guess I should look into bus or metro connections, especially to the last two. I already know St Paul is a well located metro stop.

Thanks everyone, staying in a new hotel will almost be like visiting a whole new location, I am so used to my normal haunts in my regular place.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 04:53 AM

We were in Paris several years ago in August and it started out cool but after a few days turned quite hot. You will be glad to not have to worry about being hot in your room at night!
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 09:36 AM

A lot of people claim that the heat in Paris is "humid." I have no idea where they live, because I grew up in the Deep South of the United States, and I know what "humid" is. Paris is not at all humid as far as I'm concerned, although, yes, I can sweat if it gets hot.

Before believing this "humid" statement which is repeated quite blindly by so many people, compare the humidity of Paris (40% at the moment) to the humidity where you live.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 09:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>compare the humidity of Paris (40% at the moment) to the humidity where you live.<<

OK I will -- where I live in northern California, yesterday it was 103F/40C . . . and 18% humidity. So yes, for me Paris is humid (and don't even ask me to go to the SE or east coast USA in summer )
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 09:53 AM

I completely accept that -- but I would suppose that 40° is not the normal temperature for northern California either. I know that San Francisco, for example, is not really "northern" California technically, but I see that the average humidity in the summer is 59%.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 09:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked the Hotel St Jacques in the Latin Quarter. It has A/C.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 10:20 AM

kerouac, San Francisco has its own climate, much cooler as well than the surrounding area. I live 7 miles away and our climate is totally different, much sunnier and warmer and much less foggy, although we get our share in the evening in the summertime. I wouldn't use San Francisco as a bellwether for Norcal weather.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 11:39 AM

I am just saying that the average humidity should be compared to the average Paris humidity at the same time of year to get a more reliable idea. I am not at all contesting what janisj wrote, but I do doubt that the current 18% humidity wherever she is is the normal humidity for her city unless the normal temperature all year is 40°.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -