Search

Paris in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 01:22 PM
Jacqui

Paris in August

I have an opportunity to travel to Paris during the second or third weeks of August. I understand that this is a time when most Parisians are on vacation - outside of Paris. Is this true? and if so, what is the imact on tourists?

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 06:31 AM
Lee

Jacqui: I would think that it would unlikely that you would notice anything out of the ordinary. You may find a restaurant closed, but otherwise you will be able to see and do anything you'd like. You should find temps in the upper 70's (26+C) to lower 80's. Have fun!

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 09:32 AM
dan

I went to Paris the very end of August through the first few days of September last year. Like the last poster said, I don't think it will make a huge difference. I was very concerned about the ambience myself. I wish I had other experiences to which to compare it. There will certainly be a lot of tourists because July and August are very busy. Some shops and restaurants are closed (but there are so many), and the Sorbonne area is not as vibrant. If you really want to experience fewer tourists and more local atmosphere, try a morning walk on Ile-St-Louis, visit the Place des Vosges, the outer areas of the Latin Quarter, or other less-visited spots. You don't have to go far to get away from crowds either. Some sites will be packed (eg., Notre-Dame, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, around Sacree Coeur, Versailles.) Get a monuments and museums pass, either from a travel agent or most major sites there. It will save you tons of time and as much money if you stay for more than a couple of days. If you go to Versailles, go very early. We were there before the buildings opened and were able to walk the grounds virtually alone. It is unbelievably crowded later, especially inside. The Louvre wasn't too bad around lunch, but long lines later, and the Musee d'Orsay was very nice 1-2 hours before closing. Notre-Dame is also best early or late. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 12:14 PM
jennifer

Jacqui - I'll be in Paris from 8/14-17 and then again from 8/23 -26, with travel outside of Paris in between. The economy in Paris and all over France now is such that they can't afford to take off the entire month like they used to, so you'll probably find that an occasional restaurant or store may be closed, but on the whole, you'll probably not notice. Go with Dan's suggestion for the musuem pass. It is CRUCIAL to your sanity and your pocketbook. It will save you a bundle of money and the museum or monument usually has a special entrance (always uncrowded) for pass holders. Bon Voyage! jennifer

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 12:28 PM
L.Zeev

Hi, <BR>Paris is a Capital City , so you will not see any <BR>change , because all the the stores or cafe's <BR>clubs, etc.. are all open. <BR>By the way I can offer you accommodatin from <BR>Aug 15th till Aug 22nd , for 7 nights , <BR>I have a Sleep 4 apartment at Residence St. Germain <BR>in the heart of the Latin quarter . <BR>the apartment includes 1 bedroom, 1 salon , 1 small kitchen , 2 showers . <BR>Also includes cleaning and reception staff. <BR>The price 800$ for the week. <BR>Thank you/