Paris in 8 days....

Dec 3rd, 2001, 09:50 AM
Jen

Paris in 8 days....

Any special holiday things going on that would be fun to check out? This is our 4th trip to Paris, but we haven't been in the winter. Looking forward to seeing what the holiday season is like over there!

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:11 AM
Sue

I loved the decorations in the Galeries Lafayette and on the Champs Elysees.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:29 AM
aj

Check out www.metropoleparis.com. It is a great weekly newsletter on Paris and has a list of current happenings in the "City of Lights".

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:42 AM
Christina

I don't know if you're into special high-tech digital multimedia type stuff, but there are putting on a "show" on a big screen in front of Notre Dame, the Mystery of Christmas. I think the Catholic church is putting this on, much to my surprise, but I find out about it with lots of description on the Notre Dame web site (http://catholique-paris.cef.fr/actu/mystereNoel.htm)
Music, digital images from artworks, etc. I think it's free, anyway so drop by--sometimes the French do these kind of things very well, I enjoyed the one at Auvers-sur-Oise very much.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:42 AM
Jen

Hello,

Thank you for the responses. As a note, I use my real e-mail address when posting, and have never been inappropriately contacted until today.

One 'traveler'/poster e-mailed me with some great personal information - and I appreciate and welcome that response!

However, two advertisers have e-mailed me directly, "selling their wares":

"Hello from Paris!

I saw your post on Fodors,...Please keep our brochure attached with you
if you need any assstance for private tours in Paris.

Thank you
Agnes
French Adventures Agency/Paris"

and

"Same as any big city. The windows of stores, decorations - just keep
walking.
I humbly suggest you take a look at my Book on Paris Website below -
there's a lot of information you can use there .
Now you can get my "Book on Paris" containing my Guide to Paris, Hotel
Information, Paris from A-Z, lots of other information plus personal Paris
consulting, all at my Website. Just click on it.
Fred
http://www.anamericaninparis.com
Your Gateway to Paris
e-mail: [email protected]"

Neither of these responses were answers to my post. The rule of 'no advertising' should extend to those who post on this board as well.

Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:11 PM
BTilke

Hi Jen, Sorry you got spammed. Anyway, check out the wine bar in the basement of Fauchon's. Usually during December they do free champagne tastings--a different champagne every day. When we hit it last year, it was Bollinger day (maybe Taittinger) and were each given more than 2 full glasses of champagne on the house while we chatted with the Fauchon sommelier.

Dec 4th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Christina

Doesn't surprise me, guys who continually ignore Fodors no-advertising policy are not usually ethical in other ways (ie, going beyond advertising on here to aggressively spam those whose emails they've found on here). I have never understood why Fodors doesn't do more about this continual advertising. In any case, I second the vote to view www.metropoleparis.com, he does a very good job of mentioning current events. I think I mentioned this in another Christmas post, but there is a creche in Notre Dame, and ice rink in front of Hotel de Ville, and nice decorations in the big dept store windows, and on certains streets, which I'm sure you'll find (ie, Champs-Elysees, Ave Montaigne). There are a lot of nice music concerts around this time period in various churches, but you can wait until you get there to find out these kind of things -- just buy an entertainment guide as soon as you get there from a newsstand, Pariscope, it will list concerts, museum shows, all special events.

Dec 4th, 2001, 10:17 PM
lze

Hi Jen, I received the exact same two E-mail as you did after I had written a post here. They should not be doing that, I agree! I mostly get good info here and like to check out suggested web sites. That is as long they aren't advertising someone's book to buy. I enjoy reading the posts. I love the delete button myself also. It is so easy and doesn't clutter the land fill. That is exactly what I do if it looks like an ad or unwanted info! Enjoy your trip Jen. We will go on our first visit there next June. Already got our hotel and air fare taken care of. Can't wait!!

Dec 5th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Wendy

I also really like this site for any of my travels: http://www.whatsonwhen.com/

And Jen I am looking forward to a trip report when you return! When will that be? I leave on the 27th and also have not been in the winter!

Dec 7th, 2001, 05:07 AM
Jen

Wendy - get back on the 17th...so I'll post a report then. Might be a lot about shopping .

BT - can't wait to go to Fauchon..that was already on our list of things to do!

Only 3 days....YIPPEE! Thanks for the comments.

Dec 7th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Wendy

Jen, A report on shopping would be fantastic!! Have a wonderful and safe trip!!!

Dec 7th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Mary C

Jen

I've always wanted to see/hear one of the chorals at Notre Dame or Ste-Chappelle. Fodors mentions them under "Nightlife and the Arts" section under the heading "Church and Museum Concerts", saying some are scheduled as part of the Festival d'Art Sacre (01-44-70-64-10 phone for info). Maybe this sounds interesting to you?

Have a great trip & a Merry Christmas,
Mary