Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotels: Relais Bosquet or Hotel Grand Des Ecoles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,
We are a family of three going to Paris for the first time in July. I have reservations in both hotels for comparative rates. Which would you choose, Relais in the 7th Arr. near Rue Cler, Eiffel Tower, etc. (Rick Steves favored neighborhood); or Grand Des Ecoles in the Latin Quarter?
Mark
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:43 AM

OP wrote:
Which would you choose, Relais in the 7th Arr. near Rue Cler, Eiffel Tower, etc. (Rick Steves favored neighborhood); or Grand Des Ecoles in the Latin Quarter?

You're comparing apples and oranges. Relais Bosquet is the better choice, if this is the one: http://www.relaisbosquet.com/English/frameset.html.
The rooms at the Grand des Ecoles are suffocatingly small, no TV, no AC. Make sure you've got the right Grand des Ecoles as there are two with similar names in the same area.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:07 AM
PLJ

I'm a big fan of L'Hotel des Grandes Ecoles (75, rue Cardinal Lemoine). I've stayed there twice - most recently for two weeks in Sept/Oct02. Some of the rooms in the "reception" building are small. The rooms in the "garden" building are much more spacious (especially by Paris standards).

As much as I love this hotel, if I were planning a trip during July, I would seriously consider staying at a hotel that offers AC. This is a personal preference, though, as I realize that AC during the summer isn't important to everyone.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:54 AM

I have never stayed in the Grandes Ecoles, but if the rates are comparable, I would choose the Relais Bosquet because I think there are more amenities. For a fairly detailed description of my stay there, see my trip report at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1371813
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM

We've stayed at the Relais Bosquet and enjoyed it, but I should say we had a "superior room", which meant we had a few more square feet and a view of the Eiffel Tower. I've posted a review of this hotel and commented on it several times when people have asked about it so if you do a search you should find plenty of info. The Rue Cler area is very nice, bit quiet at night as it is mostly residential. We've been to Paris many times but never in the summer so I'd be real sure there is a/c in whatever hotel I picked.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:33 AM

I'm considering this area for my stay in Paris-Rue Clar. It's quiet at night? Would you say that it's still a charming and not so much an area filled with tourists. I'm reading that it's Rick Steve's favorite area to stay so I'm thinking the streets will be only filled with us Americans taking Rick's advice. Any comments...I'm very curious about this. What would anyone elses favorite neighborhoods be that might seem simular to a rue Cler?
Tim
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:54 AM

A vote for the grande ecoles. I visited there this year after many recommendations on this site. I was very satisfied with the choice, partly explained (maybe) by the fact that it was my first trip to Paris and in shock.The Hotel has a great atmosphere and the rooms are small but comfortable (your'e in Paris for goodness sake and you only use the room for sleep and freshening - oh and occasional romance). The only downside is that it is a bit of a walk from the action. wonderful
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:55 PM

Steve, what action are you talking about? We found Grandes Ecoles on rue Cardinal Lemoine most convenient!
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I posted the message originally. Seems either place will work. The problem I have with Ecoles now is that the rooms are not air-conditioned and I'll be there end of July. My guess is that can be a downer.
M
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM

Mark_va,
I stayed at the Relais Bosquet very recently - April 2003. Loved both the property and the neighborhood. There was a promotional rate going on (Paris was not exactly crowded with tourists while the worst of the bombing was happening in Iraq), so I opted for a superior room and was glad I did - it was a nice size, had a bathroom with a window. Very hospitable staff, and they seem to employ an adequate number of staff - no one ever appeared rushed and the little touches like the bowl of candies in each room were very nice. Don't know about air con - I'd call the hotel to check.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 02:52 PM

Mark, looks like you've made up your mind on the Relais Bosquet and to stay in the 7th. I understand Relais Bosquet has a promo. for July @ 154 euro for a double superior plus extra bed. Breakfast is 10.50 euro/pp additional. Not sure if this is the same rate you're quoted.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

That is the rate quoted. Seems pretty decent overall. After I posted this message, I emailed Ecoles and asked them what they did if it was hot out. they said they had a few fans. i asked where my room was, a triple: its in the reception building which people have posted are smaller, etc. To go into another building with larger rooms, my rate would jump 25 euros. I cancelled them.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM

I think that's a good move, Mark. I think you'll be quite satisfied with the Relais Bosquet and the 7th. I'm not too nuts about the Grandes Ecoles area (but I've never stayed there).
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:37 PM

Mark, yes, you made a good choice with the Relais Bosquet. I've never visited Paris in July but from the comments from others here, it's best to have the a/c just in case it gets warm. Of course, Paris has changeable weather, but if there is a heatwave and you have the a/c, you'll not regret it.
The Grandes Ecoles as I understand it is a charming hotel because of its garden setting and the decor. But without a/c-again you may regret that if it is very hot.
I've stayed in the Latin Qtr. but not the 7th and like I stated before from what I understand, the two districts are pretty different. Anyway, you will be close to the Eiffel Tower and the Invalides plus the Rodin Museum. You can always go over and visit the Latin Qtr. and St. Germain des Pres.

Hope you and your family have a great trip to Paris and I'm sure this is only the beginning!!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and your help. i'm sure the trip will be great!
Au Revoir
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM

I hate to start something, so I will just post this info here, figuring searchers will find it. I just read a 6-20-03 post on Steves' Graffiti wall that said the people had been eaten alive by bedbugs at Ecoles (the 5th and 6th night of a 6-night stay). Odd.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:44 PM
ita

I think you are making a mistake. The hotel is des Grandes Ecoles, there are other hotel with the word "ecole" in it. I have stayed at des grandes ecoles several times and I would not believe there are bedbugs.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:56 PM

It was definitely Hotel des Grandes Ecoles; I was just attempting a little shorthand:

"Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, Paris - BEDBUGS!!!
This hotel was as lovely as the guidebook says, and Madame (Maman) was adorable. UNTIL the bedbugs showed up!"

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti54.html
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:33 AM

You know, since everyone else posts very positive things about Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, I would ask myself whether the bedbug report was possibly a troll? I read it too and it just didn't ring true.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 10:07 AM

We have reservations for a week in September. If anyone stays there in the next month or so, please give us a report! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -