Notices

Paris Hotels

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 04:45 AM
Diane

Paris Hotels

We have narrowed our choice of Paris hotels for next summer down to 3 and would love to hear comments opinions from those who have been there/seen/heard about them please.

1. Hotel Luxembourg
2. Relais St-Suplice
3. Hotel De L'Abbaye

Thanks to all in advance.

Diane

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 04:55 AM
elaine

Diane
The hotel Luxembourg received some very negative comments on this forum during this past summer. You can try doing a search. On the other hand, the hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg has been much-praised. The other two hotels are often praised as well. For any of them, do a search on this forum by name, and also check for comments from past guests at www.paris.org and www.hotelboulevard.com
I have not stayed at them, but have read and heard that the Abbaye has smallish rooms (as is often the case)but is very charming and has full services including
elevator, a/c, and breakfast on a terrace. The Relais St Sulpice has been similarly praised.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:49 AM
don

The web site of Sandra Gustafson, who writes the books "Cheap Sleeps" series
no longer recommends Hotel Luxembourg, and states it should be avoided. Apparently, they regularly overbook.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:40 PM
Debbie

What is the URL for Sandra Gustafson's website. I am unable to find it. The only links I am coing up with are to amazon.com to buy the books.

Thanks.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 03:55 PM
Deena

We stayed at the Relais St. Sulpice three weeks ago and loved it. Had a wonderful courtyard view. The hotel and staff were very nice and the neighborhood is fantastic. I recommend this hotel.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Deborah

Please do a search on the Hotel Luxembourg in this forum. I posted our experience and so did many others. Awful place, stay away from..I will try to make the thread for it go to the top for you to check out....

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Christina

I think Sandra Gustafson's web site is www.cheapeatsleeps.com (that's what's in my bookmarks, anyway)--she has comments on her website and a "newsletter" on it but unfortunately you can't subscribe and get it by email. All three of these hotels are very well-located as you probably know. I have read good reviews and comments on the Relais and the Abbaye but I have never even heard of Hotel Luxembourg before it came up on this site nor ever heard of anyone staying there. I found it interesting that, in addition to not recommending that hotel any more, Sandra Gustafson has pulled the recommendation for a restaurant (Relais St-Germain) that I described in another thread as good food but very rude to unaccompanied women (the worst service I've ever had in Paris). I wonder if their service had anything to do with it as their food was fine when I ate there--although I think that was two years ago, so that could have declined, also.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Lesli

Cheap Eats/Cheap Sleeps website: http://www.cheapeatssleeps.com/

Does not contain full reviews, but some updates. Under "Paris Tips", there is the following:

"Often it is important to know what to Avoid. Here are a few locations no longer recommended:

Cheap Sleeps -Not

All Timhôtels. The prices are outrageous for the quality and value. The hotels have been sold and new management has an overly inflated view of proces. Avoid

Hôtel Luxembourg, 4 rue de Vaugirard (6th arrondissement). This hotel overbooks without notice or apology and has a very bad attitude toward American guests. Avoid at all costs."

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Joyce

In Paris, loved Relais St. Germain AND breakfast is served in room or downstairs...included in room charge. Front desk staff..very polite and helpful for everything. Did not eat in restaurant for dinner, so cannot comment on that. Location great...near metro, good restaurants, shopping..etc.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 04:15 AM
Diane

Thank you so much for all the information you have shared with me.

I have scratched Hotel Luxembourg off the list.

Diane

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 05:30 PM
charlotte

My daughters and I stayed at the Relais St Sulpice this past summer. It was a good location and I thought it was very lovely. The shops around the area were unique. The staff was ever so helpful.