Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel - Need Help and Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:58 PM
Gabriella

Hi there,<BR><BR>My husband and I are travelling to Paris for 3 days in end of June and would like to know if the following hotels are centrally located (specially close to Metro stations) <BR><BR>Hotel Britannique<BR>Hotel Queen Mary<BR>Libertel Quartier Latin<BR>Hotel Le St Gregorie<BR>Louvre St. Honore<BR><BR>Since we only have 3 days in Paris, it is very important that the hotels have to be very centrally located to our desired places (like Louvre, shopping areas)<BR><BR>Thanks a lot foryour kind help.<BR><BR>Gabri<BR><BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 04:26 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>I don't know your hotels, but...<BR>I found the Britannique, Queen Mary, St Gregoire praised in the<BR>usually-reliable "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" book. The Britannique is near the Chatelet station, which as a major transfer point can get you to anywhere else in Paris, although personally I detest that station because it is huge, confusing, crowded, and the corridors and stairways seem endless.<BR>The Queen Mary is apparently near the Madeleine metro stop which makes that a metro stop that has transfers available and a convenient right-bank location. The Saint-Gregoire is near the Rennes metro stop, same line as Madeleine but you'd have to go to the next stop to transfer to any other lines.<BR><BR>You can also check the hotels at<BR>www.paris.org in the hotel section or<BR>www.hotelboulevard.com

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:22 AM
joan

Dear Gabriella,<BR>in Paris all hotels are near a metro station, it is one of the main ways that they go about there.<BR><BR>As for the hotels you listed, I would recommend Hotel Britannique and Hotel Queen Mary as well as the St Honore. If you want to see them well, look them up at <BR>www.charmingparis.com<BR>they have lots of photos. I don't know if they have the Honore, but you can find that somewhere else. The site is really good and I recommend it to any one.<BR>Have a great trip to Paris!!!!<BR>All the best<BR>Joan

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:30 AM
Donna

I would advise picking up the phone immediately and checking availability for your dates. I've been hearing for several months that booking rooms in Paris for June has been difficult due to all the events during that month. While you're taking the time to make your final selection, rooms may be going quickly, or the hotels may all be booked up aleady. Some hotels are closer to a metro stop than others. After a long day of being out and about, an extra block or two seems much farther. It's also nice to have a selection of restaurants close by should you be too tired at the end of the day to head out again for dinner.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:15 AM
Al Godon

In terms of transportation times, I think you will find that the actual physical location of a hotel makes only a little bit of difference in Paris as long as it is located in one of the Arrondissments numbered in the single digits. Hotels in the 14th and 15th are not that far removed, either.<BR>I say this because of three reasons:<BR>1. the transportation system is that good<BR>2. the main sights of Paris are strung out, too. (e.g. the Eiffel Tower is not next door to Place de la Bastille)<BR>3. most hotels are close to Metro stations and bus lines; therefore, you can get to where you want to be quickly.<BR><BR>For example I was in a hotel in the 14th Arr. We were scheduled to take a day tour that originated from the tour office on Rue de Rivoli not far from Place de la Concorde. Being fearful that we might be late, I allowed so much time that we had 45 minutes in which to enjoy a sidewalk cafe. We used the bus because the stop was across the street from the hotel and the route went within a few dozen yards of the tour office.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 08:47 AM
Surlok

the Britannique has two metro stations two blocks distant, the Louvre being the better because of the line.<BR><BR>The Libertel Quartier latin has one metro station at approximately half a mile, but in my view, is not a wonderful location. Too much on the East, I'm afraid. <BR><BR>The St. Gregoire is very close to the St. Placide metro station, and the location is wonderful, close to St. Placide and St. Sulpice.<BR><BR>If you want a busy location, with everything at a very short distance, the Louvre, La Place des Vosges, Notre Dame, I would choose the Britannique.<BR><BR>If you want a more quiet location, typically Parisien, and more residential, I'd choose le Saint Gregoire.<BR><BR>The others, I don't really know.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:58 PM
Christina

I have heard some nice remarks on the Hotel Queen Mary, as well as the St-Gregoire, and wouldn't hesitate to stay in either from what I've seen or heard, depending on if you want right or left bank. Also, the Chatelet metro station is not the same as the Chatelet/Les Halles RER station, which is probably the station someone above was complaining about for size. There are several good jazz clubs around the Chatelet station