Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel near blvd des Invalides for under 200EU?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is doing a semester in Paris and has an apartment on blvd des Invalides in the 7th arrondissement. (lucky girl, I know)

Her place is way too small for my husband and me to stay with her! I'd like to give her the names of some hotels to look at for us. We visit Nov 7 for 4 nights. Would like to stay under 200EU per night.

Anyone have any great suggestions?

thanks,
karen
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 06:17 AM

The Muguet is very close. We stayed there in June 2007 and were very pleased. We had two rooms, one with a view of Invalides and the other with a fantastic view of the Eiffel Tower. Both were on the 6th floor, and we paid more for the views, but it was worth it for us. Still, the rates were under the 200 euro per night. I would definitely stay there again.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:20 AM

Yes, the Muguet would be a good one for you. I think the rates begin about 120 euros. It was just behind a Paris Perfect where I was recently staying..I am now over on Champ de Mars..

Enjoy..........
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM

Another vote for the Muguet. I stayed there last year and was very pleased with the hotel including the helpful staff.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:10 AM

We stayed at the Hotel de la Bourdonnais about two years ago. It is quite nice and a good value. We had a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower (quad room 503). It is on the Boulevard Bourdonnais (sp?) which is directly across from the park, near the Hotel des Invalides. We paid $225 via Expedia for the quad/family room.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM

Hôtel de France, 102 Boul. de la Tour Maubourg. A double room is about 90 euro.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM

We have stayed at both the Hotel de Varenne, and the Hotel du Palais Bourbon, on the rue Bourgogne, just a block or two from the Blvd Invalides. We like both hotels. The Varenne had a nice enough room with an Eiffel Tower view (partial) and the Palais Bourbon had a top floor "honeymoon" room that was great, with views over romantic rooftops. Both of these should be in your price range.

I was able to negotiate breakfast at the Varenne, because of longer stay, and I believe the Palais Bourbon had an included breakfast.

This street was a lot of charm; maybe more than those just west. Lots of shops for food, wine, groceries, flowers, pastries, all the fun stuff.

Both should have something in your price range.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM

We stayed at the Varenne a few months ago and loved it.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Oops, I mistyped. We stayed at the VALADON, not Varenne.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Hotel de Varenne.
Just returned from a week there.
Excellent service . wonderful , safe location.
Give them a look.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I love the discreet little Hotel de Varenne and "our" spacious dormer room number 38, which is the double deluxe featured in the photo on their web site. Our friends really enjoyed their street-side deluxe room 42, again, spacious for Paris standards.

If you book online, you can stay well within your budget even with a superior or deluxe room. The advance online booking rate, 30% off, for these rooms: 155 and 175. This is a great deal since the rack rates for the superior and deluxe have climbed to 210 and 250. The online internet specials for the standard rooms: 125 and 135, with breakfast an additional 10 euros.
There's still availability for your dates at
www.hoteldevarenne.com

A very classy little hotel on a very classy street.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM

bookmarking
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Muguet
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I agree with Maribel, how could I not she always gives great advice, the Varenne is a charming small hotel , location is excellent, the bus 69 takes you everywhere you wish to go. Good luck.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Hotel Splendid Tour Eiffel is near there as well and we really liked it (had an Eiffel Tower view). Check it out at:
http://splendidhoteltoureiffel.paris...source=googleh
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I almost booked at the Hotel de Varenne and now can't remember why I didn't. Hope I'm not sorry. But I found one close to my daughter's apartment, with a great special on their room rates and great reviews on Trip Advisor. It's Hotel Aviatic St Germain on rue de Vaugirard, not to be compared to another Hotel Aviatic on another nearby street. This one's 3 stars and I got the 2-bed room for 150 Euros a night. It usually goes for over 200.

Anyone know of it? We leave for Paris on Nov 6.

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM

book marking
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Hotel Aviatic St Germain - - it's getting good reviews on Tripadvisor. (the other Aviatic is barely a 1* and sounds like a dump).
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

We're back from our trip and had a lovely stay at the Hotel Aviatic St Germain. We stayed three nights in room 125, a small room that was very quiet (facing inner courtyard) and had comfortable beds. The bathroom was updated and lovely.

We left Paris for a few days and returned to stay in room 246. This room wasn't as nice, but it was still fine. It was larger and just as quiet but must not have received quite the same facelift that 125 has received. This bathroom was nice, but smaller. Both rooms were very clean.

The exceptional thing about this hotel was the service. All the front desk people spoke good English and were super pleasant and helpful. They allowed us to leave a suitcase there for three days between our stays.

Breakfast was not supposed to be included in the room rate (150 Euros for a "superior twin room&quot but was included, even when I questioned it. And better yet, they allowed my daughter (a student with an apartment nearby) to have breakfast with us on our first stay of 3 nights, and they would not accept our offer to pay for her (we did pay when we returned for a one-night stay). Breakfast was a generous buffet of cold meats, cheese, breads and pastries, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee and tea in a cozy little room facing the street. Normally and extra 15 Euros per person.

We would definitely stay in this hotel again if we needed to be in this part of Paris.

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM

I am booked into Hotel Valadon for May of the coming year, but now am rethinking my choice. The Muguet appeals to me more, at least on the website. I take special note of GraceJoan's comment. The Varenne looks a little too fussy for me. I like a more contemporary surrounding. Can anyone pipe in and help me decide if I should change my booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -