Search

Paris hotel: Latin Quarter or Marais?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
kit
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hotel: Latin Quarter or Marais?

We've narrowed down our choices to the Hotel Du Lys in the Latin Quarter or the Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in Marais.

We're 2 college friends -- 40, female -- and good travellers. This is our third time each to Paris and we just can't seem to decide between these two hotels.

We're cool, but not interminably hip...if that helps : )

I've searched and read until I'm blue in the face. I thought if I put just these two easy options out there, one or both might exact a "you're crazy" or "do it, absolutely" response.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I like the location of the Jeanne d'Arc better, but I usually prefer to stay in the Marais for its easy access to shopping and dining. I've never stayed in the Latin Quarter, but a lot of people like the area as a base.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM

When are you going? I'm staying at Jeanne D-Arc in early October and will be happy to report back.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
kit
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug...I'm honored! Regarding the Marais, is there a NY or DC neighborhood you might equate it to? Having lived in both, this makes it easier for me...

Jayne, we're going over Thanksgiving week and would love to hear back should you remember (that's the hard part!)

Again, thanks both!

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM

kit,

The Latin Quarter reminds me of the East Village in New York. It's got lots of kebab stands,creperies, Indian and Moroccan restaurants, and tiny antique/jewelry/clothing shops, many of which are cheaper than other parts of Paris. The area is full of students, and the narrow streets can be choked with tourists especially on summer nights.

The Marais feels more like Soho to me, although certain streets remind me of the East Village, too. There are lots of art galleries, as well as the Picasso Museum. The area is full of upscale jewelery and clothing shops owned by young designers. And of course it's home to the lovely Place des Vosges, which is one of the most beautiful squares in all of Paris. During the summer months, people sun themselves inside the fenced area of the Places Des Vosges, and there's outdoor musical enterainment outside the cafes that line the square.

In terms of the "hipness factor", if it matters (?) I'd give a slight edge to the Marais, only because it seems less trampled than the Latin Quarter.

I hope this helps...
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
kit
Original Poster

Weadles,

You've absolutely helped me...what a thoughtful reply. Thanks for taking time...
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I'd probably say that the Marais is more like Greenwich Village in NYC, but I think Weadles has definitely given you the idea. It's not really as raw as parts of the East Village (at least the Marais isn't ... I don't really know the Latin Quarter well enough). But the Marais has a lot of narrow streets and interesting shops and boutiques.