Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel in October for a single woman--recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
lyb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Paris the first week of October, a friend may be coming, but at this point, she's not sure, so I am planning ahead based on the premis that it's just me.

I have looked at several different threads and looked on the internet, but would like personal recommendations. I'd like to spend at the most $150 us dollars, I will be staying 5 - 6 nights, it would be nice if there were restaurants nearby. I know the rooms are most likely small, but I would prefer not to feel like I am in a large walk-in closet. And of course, the usual that everybody wants, clean, safe and within walking distance to some attractions.

2nd - I did see a hotel that looked good on the web, it's in the Latin Quarter. Is that a good place to stay? It's called Hotel Europe St Severin, anyone heard of it?

Thanks in advance, Lynn
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
ira

Hi lyb,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 rue Bonaparte, in the 6th. 124E dbl with bkfst. Less for one person in a dbl.

I think that it meets all of your criteria.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Whenever I'm traveling alone in Paris I stay at the Hôtel de France (www.hoteldefrance.com) in the 7th. There are loads of restaurants and cafés in the area, and at least two métero stops within a 5-minute walk (Ecole Militaire and Tour-Maubourg).

Some rooms are small, but unless the hotel is very crowded, they usually give me a decent-size double room for the price of a single, which is around 70 euros.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Lynn, On one of my solo trips I stayed in the Latin Quarter at Hotel Cluny Square. It was very nice with a balcony and a very nice view. I'm a nut for a good bathroom and it was one of the best I've had in Paris. www.hotelclunysquare.com Now I prefer to stay in the 7th and I like Hotel Relais Bosquet. Although it requires a metro, bus or taxi ride to many places you will want to go, I love the quieter neighborhood feel. www.relaisbosquet.com

Have fun!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Latin Quarter is a very busy and huge popular arrondisement to stay in, tons of things nearby to see and do, loads of restaurants, shops, parks, museums, street market, etc. etc.

I liked www.dacialuxembourg.com a 3-star on St Mich Blvd. I was with a friend that trip and the rooms was very nice for us, but several years ago so check prices on website.

If I was going back to Paris solo, I might consider something in the 6th or the 7th (Latin Quarter = 5th) because it seemed a bit quieter, less hectic and overwhelming than the Latin Quarter (don't get me wrong I loved the 5th, but felt it was my 1st time in Paris, and I felt I needed to be on my toes to keep from getting lost, run down by traffic, etc. -LOL).
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM
lyb
Original Poster

thank you everybody, I've looked at the websites of the hotels you've mentioned. They all look good and I'm going to email them to get actual quotes. This is my first time to Paris, so this is a bit overwhelming, but I've found that everything works out.

Keep those suggestions coming
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Grasshopper, Relais Bosquet is my favorite, too, but the room I'm staying in in May is costing €150 (like $200). The same trip I discovered RB, I also stayed at Le Clement, which I liked a lot. It had just been redone, and I had a nice street-side room. The thing I love about it is that it is midway between Mabillon and Odeon metro and smack-dab in the middle of things. The streetside doubles are $170 and courtiyard doubles $150. Go to

http://www.france.com/hotels/hotel.cfm?hotel_id=558

For my May trip I'm renting an apt in the same area, so my stay at RB will be short.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:44 PM

As a single woman traveler, I have stayed at two Paris hotels where I felt very safe. One of those hotels is well under your budget, and the other is probably slightly over it.

At the Hotel du College de France (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/accueil-us.html) in the 5th, you can get a single room with a private bath for not much over $100 per night, even at the current exchange rate. The hotel is in a good location (close to all the atractions of the Latin Quarter, but on a quiet side street), the staff is friendly and English-speaking, and there's even an elevator.

I also felt safe staying alone at the Hotel de l'Universite (http://www.paris-hotel-universite.com/) in the 7th, where I had the biggest single room I've ever had in a Paris hotel. I paid well under $150 when I stayed there in 2002, but at the current exchange rate, it would probably cost slightly over that amount.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM

I'm with Ira. The hotel Bonaparte is superb. I've stayed there twice and loved it. Perfect location - completely safe - adorable people - very helpful. You'll love it. I vote for an inner courtyard room - so you can have a tub. A tub is top priority for a trip to PAris. You'll NEED that soak to perk you up before going out for a divine dinner. There's a market nearby. Be sure to eat the yogurt. Do a search under my pen name for lots of recommendations per my last trip there.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:57 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Ira & Mariacallas,

Do you know if the Hotel Bonaparte has a website? I've searched and all I find is very little information on a hotelsearch-in-Paris.com I'd love to see pictures and be able to email them first. With the 9 hour time difference it really makes it difficult to call.

Or would either one of you have pictures posted on a site of the hotel?

Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:34 PM

The Bonaparte does not have a website nor an email address, as I understand it. I recently reserved by fax; I called first(early in the day here, EST)but they requested a fax for credit card number and signature.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Our favorites are the Meuget in the Rue Clar area (close to the Eiffel Tower). A very nice hotel. We also love the Andrea Rivoli [email protected] It is a little two star on the edge of the Maurais district, very convenient to the Pompedou(two blocks), Notre Dame( four blocks), the Louvre(6-8 blocks), etc. The location is really super. We stayed there at Christmas and a double was 82 euros. Check it out.

You asked about eh Latin Quarter. Yes that is a good location but frankly with the metro being so quick and easy there almost isn't a "bad" neighborhood to pick from.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:06 AM

I stayed in Grand Hotel Lafayette Buffault, 6 Rue Buffault in the Opera district last November, which was about 2 minutes away from 2 metro stations. It cost about £52 a night which is about $100 US. The room I was in was a decent size - my room had a double and a single bed, the shower had fabulous water pressure and the area seemed quite safe. There were several little supermarkets in the area as well as a couple of restaurants.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:49 AM

.I think for a first timer in Paris and maybe as a solo woman, the 6 and 7th arr. are great choices. Central safe and good "sidewalk traffic" to make one feel safe in the evening. 5th a bit touristy. the 8th and 16th safe but I think the 6th and 7th more fun for a first trip.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:54 AM

I would suggest the Muguet in the 7th--probably near St.Cirq's France suggestion. SO many restaurants within walking distance. But, the first week in October is the beginning of fashion shows so get your hotel decided on and reserved quickly.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:13 AM

I checked the web address for the Andrea Hotel and it is actually [email protected] My mistake.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:20 AM

I stayed once in Hotel Rive Gauche, a little 2 star hotel in Saint Germain (6th), a very good area to stay. There a lot of restaurants, bars and so on...
The hotel is clean and prices are really affordable for the location!
http://www.hotelrivegauche.com
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:23 AM

Having been to PAris many times, I learned the best way to get a room - the most accepted way, is to write a specific request letter and fax it to several places - ask about view options, availablity, bed, shower, breakfast included proximity to metro stations, # rooms, street noise, etc. It's best to make a form letter thay can just fill in by hand with blanks. Then you know you're talking apples and apples. They'll fax you right back. Email is NOT reliable there, and telephoning leaves no paper backup. Use fax - file it in a folder and take your confirmation with you. I also fax again several times to be sure we're square.

Trust us- Hotel Bonaparte is great. The rooms are grand feeling- not too fancy or expensive.

My favorite next step up is Hotel Millesime. Also fantastic.

I've stayed many places all the way up to Hotel Ritz Vendome but I always return to these two.

Remember to ask for price by the night first. Then ask for a deal for multiple nights in your next fax. They're likely to bargain for five nights or more. Both places have done that for me. You get better prices if you write your request in French. IMHO. Perhaps they figure you'll be a more gracious guest.

I always use the breakfast in my room option. It's just, well, more opulent. Decorate your table with pretty flowers and bibelots and enjoy you cafe au lait and croissants in your bathrobe.

When you get there you can go see hotels when you're out and about. Just walk in and ask to see the rooms. I've done that many many times and that's how I came up with these two jewels (having kissed many frogs).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:19 AM

Mariacallas mentions the Millesime, which is on rue Jacob. That street would probably be my first choice if I were staying alone in Paris because it is so close to lots of action in St. Germain yet it is very safe and relatively quiet. Other hotels in that location are d'Angleterre, des Marronniers, du Danube, and des Deux Continents.

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:21 PM

Well LYB, you seem to have asked about a specific hotel yet most everybody decided to give provide you with their personal favorites.... I however will take up your challenge and reort on this property by name:

I have not been to the Hotel Europe
St Severin but I AM going in June and am just a breath away from reserving it myself. I have read excellent things about it on Trip Advisor. Overall, it appears to be right in the middle of the (tourist) action with plenty of shops and cafes nearby, all forms of transportation are within a block or so, the staff readily speaks English, there's A/C, an elevator, the rooms look quite interesting (i.e., not boring -- but with beams and stone, etc.) and I even saw a picture of their mini bar in the lobby with a bottle of J&B scotch on it! So I'M booking it! I think it will stretch your budget to it's limit however.

I just wanted a place more lively than where I stayed in 2001 -- the Grand Hotel Leveque in the Rue Cler; I'm thinking a woman would love that place especially with it's farmer's market shops of cheeses, flowers, ad infinitum (it is a Rick Steves hotel and he of course is my travel guru --- hehehe).

Anyway, have fun!

Here's the Trip Advisor link (to cut and paste) for the Hotel Europe
St Severin:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -